The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum CV Performance  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Service > Sportster Motorcycle Service Bulletins
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Service Bulletins Here is where you can post Official HD Service Bulletins that concern Sportster motorcycles or motorcycles.

Members Birthdays
flashedwards (64), Reeky (62), feets (61), Eastern Shore XL (59), beeman07, Ironhead Zombie (43), pilot (40), Rik (40), joker13 (39), naturegirl77 (34), oliver81 (33), walkingblind
Figure Machine
Ironworks Magazine
NRHS Performance Long 2
S&S Cycle

DK Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd May 2010
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200CSDSPC
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Ducati HyperMoto 1100 S
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2009
Other Motorcycle Model: GPz 750 - sold to Chica
Other Motorcycle Year: 1982
hooptygoo has a spectacular aura abouthooptygoo has a spectacular aura abouthooptygoo has a spectacular aura abouthooptygoo has a spectacular aura abouthooptygoo has a spectacular aura abouthooptygoo has a spectacular aura abouthooptygoo has a spectacular aura abouthooptygoo has a spectacular aura about

The belt isn't that heavy. What would it be knocking out of adjustment?
Old 30th August 2010
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Other Motorcycle Model: Panhead
Other Motorcycle Year: 1956
papadad is a glorious beacon of lightpapadad is a glorious beacon of lightpapadad is a glorious beacon of lightpapadad is a glorious beacon of lightpapadad is a glorious beacon of lightpapadad is a glorious beacon of lightpapadad is a glorious beacon of lightpapadad is a glorious beacon of lightpapadad is a glorious beacon of lightpapadad is a glorious beacon of lightpapadad is a glorious beacon of light

on the 04-up, is it a kit (spring and cap) or do you need to buy a hole cartridge like on the evo rear brake system
Old 30th August 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
pvlittrell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default It's a kit

It's a kit. All the guts that go in the tube.
Old 10th April 2011
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 883c
matridge has a spectacular aura aboutmatridge has a spectacular aura aboutmatridge has a spectacular aura aboutmatridge has a spectacular aura aboutmatridge has a spectacular aura aboutmatridge has a spectacular aura aboutmatridge has a spectacular aura aboutmatridge has a spectacular aura aboutmatridge has a spectacular aura aboutmatridge has a spectacular aura aboutmatridge has a spectacular aura about

i had the problem described with the m/c , but i hadnt messed with tire or caliper or brakes at all for about 7 months maybe. just went out while on a ride. no resistence when pushing brake. im about to disassemble now.
Old 30th May 2011
Whitworth Products

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Other Motorcycle Model: 5 bikes and 1 quad
wedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 883+ View Post
every rubbermount I see with this problem was because of a tire change or removing the shocks letting the belt slam down on the linkage right where it turns to go into the master cyl.
It shows up while changing a tire, but there is no connection. I recently spoke to someone who is an engineer for that MC. What seems to happen is that the primary cup gets torn in the center and it manages to still work as long as the MC is not disturbed much because it is backed up with that flat metal plunger which helps it seal even tho broken. Then they are a bit of a bitch to bleed, but with a broken cup they won't bleed anyway.

Those of you who have done the job will note that the new cup has a tit on it that goes into the center hole of the washer that is welded to the end of that spring. Well when the parts are new the problem doesn't seem evident, but if you take the broken cup and the spring/washer thing and hold them together on the bench you will see that the washer can slide sideways quite a bit within the center of the primary cup. I think that the tapered spring tries to cock some every time the pedal is pressed causing it to work against that tit until it breaks the tit off and leaves a split across the cup. I think the better cure would be to put a larger washer on the end of the spring so that it will not keep fighting the tit for centering. I sent a detailed explanation of this to the person I spoke too, but did not get a reply yet.

Bleeding is the other problem, and the big loop in the brake line is a possible cause for this (trap for air), and also some have said that the return hole in the MC is too small (I agree), but enlarging it is risky unless you can make sure that there is no burr left to hurt the new cup.

Whitworth Fork Brace: http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/m...outme&simple=1

Know Thy Hog