The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum DK Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE & BUELL MOTORCYCLE FORUM - GENERAL DISCUSSION > Riding Tips & Safety Advice
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Riding Tips & Safety Advice Got a question about your riding technique or safety issues?

Members Birthdays
Lowbrow Customs
Biltwell
Superbrace.com
S&S Cycle

Hammer Performance

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th June 2007
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 XLH
SM49 has disabled reputation
Default right hand goes numb

My right hand goes numb after about 1/2 hour riding,any solutions?
Old 11th June 2007
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: SPORTSTER 1200 CUSTOM
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
1STONE has a spectacular aura about1STONE has a spectacular aura about1STONE has a spectacular aura about1STONE has a spectacular aura about1STONE has a spectacular aura about1STONE has a spectacular aura about1STONE has a spectacular aura about1STONE has a spectacular aura about1STONE has a spectacular aura about1STONE has a spectacular aura about1STONE has a spectacular aura about

I am not going to say what I am thinking, I'll just say stop doing that, give him a rest ....................... just kidding

I had the same problem and opted for the cruiser buddy (cramp buster) it's a little lever that hangs off your hand grip, you can rest your palm on it holding speed which in turn relaxes your grip and you won't cramp up
Old 11th June 2007
Senior Chief Know It All 3rd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: nothing at the moment
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CB360
Other Motorcycle Year: 1974
avnsteve has a spectacular aura aboutavnsteve has a spectacular aura aboutavnsteve has a spectacular aura aboutavnsteve has a spectacular aura aboutavnsteve has a spectacular aura aboutavnsteve has a spectacular aura aboutavnsteve has a spectacular aura aboutavnsteve has a spectacular aura aboutavnsteve has a spectacular aura aboutavnsteve has a spectacular aura aboutavnsteve has a spectacular aura about

relaxing your grip is the key. you can go buy gadgets or just make the mental effort, which will benefit you more because you may also just start to think about the state of the rest of your body while you ride. relax, if you're tense while riding, you'll never last long, and a tired rider makes mistakes...
Old 11th June 2007
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: Custom 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: Cute Redhead on My Bike
ejonny will become famous soon enoughejonny will become famous soon enoughejonny will become famous soon enoughejonny will become famous soon enoughejonny will become famous soon enoughejonny will become famous soon enoughejonny will become famous soon enough

I actually got larger diameter grips for my bike -- immediately had problems with numbness, particularly with my right hand. Went back to a set of smaller grips and the problem disappeared.

I don't know the mechanics of why it helped, or whether it'd help you, but it certainly did help me! Ended up selling the larger grips on ebay so the mistake really didn't end up costing to much.
Old 11th June 2007
Senior Chief Know It All 3rd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
cgp-1200R is a name known to allcgp-1200R is a name known to allcgp-1200R is a name known to allcgp-1200R is a name known to allcgp-1200R is a name known to allcgp-1200R is a name known to allcgp-1200R is a name known to allcgp-1200R is a name known to allcgp-1200R is a name known to allcgp-1200R is a name known to allcgp-1200R is a name known to all

I have carpal tunnel, both hands go numb. It sux

Patriot Guard NY Region 2
SAL SQN 366 Honor Guard Color Guard
Know Thy Hog

Old 11th June 2007
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: Electra Glide Ultra Class
Other Motorcycle Year: 2009
Urrell is a glorious beacon of lightUrrell is a glorious beacon of lightUrrell is a glorious beacon of lightUrrell is a glorious beacon of lightUrrell is a glorious beacon of lightUrrell is a glorious beacon of lightUrrell is a glorious beacon of lightUrrell is a glorious beacon of lightUrrell is a glorious beacon of lightUrrell is a glorious beacon of lightUrrell is a glorious beacon of light

Try to sit nearer to the tank and sit more upright so as to take some weight off your palm.
Old 11th June 2007
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
bwheeler111 has a spectacular aura aboutbwheeler111 has a spectacular aura aboutbwheeler111 has a spectacular aura aboutbwheeler111 has a spectacular aura aboutbwheeler111 has a spectacular aura aboutbwheeler111 has a spectacular aura aboutbwheeler111 has a spectacular aura aboutbwheeler111 has a spectacular aura about

Mine does too. I just bought a larger diameter set of grips. I think I was squeezing too hard. Haven't put the new grips on yet, so I don't know if it is going to work.
Old 11th June 2007
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 06
R Ride is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the same problem..Moved my bars forward about 1/2 inch now its alot better. I Think it helped me take some of my weight off the bars and relax my gripp. It may or maynot work for you.
Old 11th June 2007
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: Custom 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: Cute Redhead on My Bike
ejonny will become famous soon enoughejonny will become famous soon enoughejonny will become famous soon enoughejonny will become famous soon enoughejonny will become famous soon enoughejonny will become famous soon enoughejonny will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejonny View Post
I actually got larger diameter grips for my bike -- immediately had problems with numbness, particularly with my right hand. Went back to a set of smaller grips and the problem disappeared.

I don't know the mechanics of why it helped, or whether it'd help you, but it certainly did help me! Ended up selling the larger grips on ebay so the mistake really didn't end up costing to much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwheeler111 View Post
Mine does too. I just bought a larger diameter set of grips. I think I was squeezing too hard. Haven't put the new grips on yet, so I don't know if it is going to work.
This looks like contrasting advice but it'll be interesting to see if a change of grip size helps bwheeler!! The other suggestions thus far seem reasonable as well.

I was thinking that you might also try just rotating your handlebars up or down a bit. That may change the angle of grip, distributing pressure differently on your palms. Again, not sure if it'd help but at least the price is right!
Old 11th June 2007
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
gymrat523 has a spectacular aura aboutgymrat523 has a spectacular aura aboutgymrat523 has a spectacular aura aboutgymrat523 has a spectacular aura aboutgymrat523 has a spectacular aura aboutgymrat523 has a spectacular aura aboutgymrat523 has a spectacular aura aboutgymrat523 has a spectacular aura aboutgymrat523 has a spectacular aura aboutgymrat523 has a spectacular aura aboutgymrat523 has a spectacular aura about

try this first, $10.00, I had surgery on my right hand a couple of years ago and this "throttle rocker" allows me to release my grip and throttle with the heel of my hand, I never take it off. It goes on and off in 5 seconds.
Know Thy Hog