The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Energy One Clutches  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical > Sportster Motorcycle Lighting
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
Energy One Clutches
CV Performance
Lowbrow Customs
Burly

Superbrace.com

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th June 2007
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Stingray has a spectacular aura aboutStingray has a spectacular aura aboutStingray has a spectacular aura aboutStingray has a spectacular aura aboutStingray has a spectacular aura aboutStingray has a spectacular aura aboutStingray has a spectacular aura aboutStingray has a spectacular aura aboutStingray has a spectacular aura aboutStingray has a spectacular aura aboutStingray has a spectacular aura about
Default Lifespan of headlight

I pulled the bike out of the garage to ride to work tonight, fired it up, and was getting ready while it was warming up. I noticed my headlight was out.

The bike is only 16 months old, and only has 5000 miles on it. It seems too early to have to replace the headlight already. I also just had it in the shop Friday for service too.

How long do your lights tend to last? By everyone’s post it seems SilverStars are the way to go? Any other suggestions?

Thank,
| Changed to Low Risers & Mini Apes | Progressive front springs and 440 rears |
Old 12th June 2007
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
rikava has disabled reputation

Are you sure it just didn't come unplugged? Mine did one night.
I have been running the original bulb and I have a 2002 883. I do carry an extra bulb, screw diver and small flash light with me as I do 45% of my riding at night.
The small flash light idea came after the bulb came unplugged........it is easier then using passing car head lights to do work on your bike at night
Old 12th June 2007

Stingray has a spectacular aura aboutStingray has a spectacular aura aboutStingray has a spectacular aura aboutStingray has a spectacular aura aboutStingray has a spectacular aura aboutStingray has a spectacular aura aboutStingray has a spectacular aura aboutStingray has a spectacular aura aboutStingray has a spectacular aura aboutStingray has a spectacular aura aboutStingray has a spectacular aura about

I did not pull anything apart to look at it. The high beam still worked. I actually rode up to the gas station with it on, filled up, then decided to ride home and get in the car. All the other drivers were flashing me!

I'll pull it apart in the morning just to make sure.
Old 12th June 2007
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
toe is a splendid one to beholdtoe is a splendid one to beholdtoe is a splendid one to beholdtoe is a splendid one to beholdtoe is a splendid one to beholdtoe is a splendid one to beholdtoe is a splendid one to beholdtoe is a splendid one to beholdtoe is a splendid one to beholdtoe is a splendid one to beholdtoe is a splendid one to behold

I had to put a piece of foam behind the connector in the housing to keep it from coming off the light

The Only Y2K dual-set 883C
So Cal
Old 12th June 2007

Well hmmm... I pulled the orginal burb out. It looks fine, I could not see anything wrong with it. I bought a new set of Sylvani SilverStars and installed the new bulb. The same thing, no low beam, but the high beam works fine!! Does anyone know if the low and high beams are on the same fuse? I guess I'll have to take it back to the dealer.
Know Thy Hog

Old 12th June 2007

Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
Albie1200 will become famous soon enoughAlbie1200 will become famous soon enoughAlbie1200 will become famous soon enoughAlbie1200 will become famous soon enoughAlbie1200 will become famous soon enoughAlbie1200 will become famous soon enough

The connector isn't melted and deformed is it? It happens quite frequently. Fortunately it is the same plug as most domestic cars, and the part is much cheaper at autozone than HD.
Old 12th June 2007
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883C (1235 Conv)
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
KC_Sporty_Gal is a jewel in the roughKC_Sporty_Gal is a jewel in the roughKC_Sporty_Gal is a jewel in the roughKC_Sporty_Gal is a jewel in the roughKC_Sporty_Gal is a jewel in the roughKC_Sporty_Gal is a jewel in the roughKC_Sporty_Gal is a jewel in the roughKC_Sporty_Gal is a jewel in the roughKC_Sporty_Gal is a jewel in the roughKC_Sporty_Gal is a jewel in the roughKC_Sporty_Gal is a jewel in the rough

check the fuse?

[IMG]http://www.mytriplogs.com/sigs/mtl_create_us_states_map.php?rz=75&vu=uvuvvvuuuuuuvvvvvuuuuuuvuvvvvuuuuuvvvvuuuvuvvuuvuvv[/IMG]

[B]"Ruth"[/B] '05 XL883C -> 1212 -> 1235 (don't ask) - Pearl Yellow
Progressive Fork Springs, Progressive 412s w/ heavy duty springs, 883 -> 1200 NRHS conversion (at 1235 Now), Daytona Twin Tec Ignition, Hurricane AC
Old 12th June 2007
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Dyna Street Bob
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2007
SportyJoe is on a distinguished roadSportyJoe is on a distinguished roadSportyJoe is on a distinguished roadSportyJoe is on a distinguished road

I would think (and you probably have already figured this out) if you repalced the bulb, and the new one does the same, then chances are its not the bulb... I dont have my manual with me right now, but It seems odd that there would be any kind of a fuze for a light buld (I could be wrong though) so I would check your wiring from the switch to the bulb.. could be a bad switch also.
Old 13th June 2007
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
toe is a splendid one to beholdtoe is a splendid one to beholdtoe is a splendid one to beholdtoe is a splendid one to beholdtoe is a splendid one to beholdtoe is a splendid one to beholdtoe is a splendid one to beholdtoe is a splendid one to beholdtoe is a splendid one to beholdtoe is a splendid one to beholdtoe is a splendid one to behold

high and low have same fuse.

Wiring runs from fuse to switch on handlebars to headlight.

Most likely the connector, but it could be the switch.
Old 13th June 2007

I checked my service manual and the fuse is for all the lights, plus all the fuses were good. The only other thing it might be is I added about 6" to my wiring harness back when I did my bar change project. It's possible, but I doubt it, that one of the solder points went bad. I'll pull the tank off and check out the wiring and if it checks out I'll take it to the dealer and have them do some warrenty work.
Know Thy Hog