The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Superbrace  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
Mr.P (50), G-man1965, Dietoride (45), mct496 (43), JuggaloCujo (31)
Figure Machine
Licks Holiday
DK Customs
Figure Machine

Motor Stage

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th May 2005
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 custom rigid springer
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Other Motorcycle Model: handmade harley m50
Other Motorcycle Year: 1966
lucky13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default custom oil issues

Ok folks, My name is Brian I'm new here and lookin for a little help. I've got an 01' 883 motor in a all out custom bike I built this winter in my garage. I'm still a bit new w/ wrenching on harleys. Anyway, I've got a custom round oil tank I mounted in a paughco rigid frame. Had some issuses w/ the tank, now fixed. problem is now I'm going to route my hoses and don't know which hose is which. I got out my half assed clymer and I can't find which line is which on the oil pump and case. there is a line low on the rear of the pump, mid hieght towards the front(not the line going to the filter. I'm not that stupid), and a line high towards the rear just above the pump going into the case. Am I missing anything here? Can anyone tell me what line is what on the pump? My guess was that the line low in the rear was feed, high in the rear above the pump was vent and mid towards the front was return. I put alot of heart and hard work into building this bike. It's the first bike I've built from the ground up and I'm 25 married w/ 2 kids. So, I can't afford to screw this up or dump my bank account into it. It's a total budget chop. I had it runnin for a couple of weeks and every thing seemed fine until I cracked the aluminum oil tank but right b4 that I noticed when I shut it down after about an hour long ride, like 2-3 seconds after I turned it off I could here it dump a bunch of oil back into the tank. Anybody have a clue what the could be, or is it normal? Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated. I can't find any pics on the web to show a breakdown of the line routing away from the pump. I would imagine the feed would run from the bottom of the tank, the vent to be a the top, and would it be better to run the return to the top of the tank to help the oil cool better or should it be run on the bottom? It's a round tank with 2 nipples on the top and 2 nipples on the bottom. Just over 3 qrt. capacity. Thanks to any who reply.....Brian
p.s. when i figure out this damn computer I'll put up some pics of my bike. Some of ya'll might like it, if ya like flat black and stripped down clean.
Old 4th May 2005
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Takingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Brian.

I know you have a custom bike(Non-stocker) and what i am going to suggest may seem strange, but get a Harley factory 2001 manual.
There is a good flowchart in it for the oil flow and routing.

Wile thew body part will be a little help, the electical section and the engine/trans sections will be the same for you.
It can also help you sort out the wiring and diagosing run problems.