The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum DK Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
Mr.P (50), G-man1965, Dietoride (45), mct496 (43), JuggaloCujo (31)
DK Customs
Bison Motorsports
Progressive Suspension
Energy One Clutches

RYCA Motors

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st November 2009
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: Iron 883N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
damoru has disabled reputation
Default Lowering an 883N: any kit available?

Aka Iron

well, I'm looking for a lowering kit for both rear and front end. I was thinkin' in 11" rear, and... Something that matches with this for the front. I would like to get the rear fender closer to the wheel, and lowering the whole thing too.

I suppose that if I find an "all in one" kit, I could save some $. I'd like progressive feature.

Looking in Ebay I didn't find anything. Always front or rear, never together Wow, I think that my English skills are as complex like a 4-year boy. Sorry fir this!!
Old 21st November 2009
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
colonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nice

tamarack rear lowering blocks i have a set on my nightster.as for front just take the forks apart and cut down the fork spring spacer <tube>

Old 21st November 2009
Super Moderator

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Other Motorcycle Model: Harley Heritage
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
Shu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to behold

You may be able to add a lower leg spring below the emulators. Just pick up one from the dealer the same as already is in there and double them up. This will lower by one inch, then set your upper spring preload with the spacer.

GONE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN
Screamin' Eagle 10:1 pistons
Stage 2 883 heads
Screamin' Eagle .497" cams
Screamin' Eagle Mikuni HSR42
Thunderheader
Forcewinder
Old 24th November 2009
Greasemonkey

Toolgirl will become famous soon enoughToolgirl will become famous soon enoughToolgirl will become famous soon enoughToolgirl will become famous soon enoughToolgirl will become famous soon enoughToolgirl will become famous soon enoughToolgirl will become famous soon enoughToolgirl will become famous soon enough

Has anyone tried a kit like this?? It looks simple, and it's inexpensive, but I'm wondering how safe it is, and whether it affects the shocks' ability to absorb impacts.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Sport...#ht_2175wt_941
Old 24th November 2009
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda SL70
Other Motorcycle Year: 1971
black_n_orange_08 will become famous soon enoughblack_n_orange_08 will become famous soon enoughblack_n_orange_08 will become famous soon enoughblack_n_orange_08 will become famous soon enoughblack_n_orange_08 will become famous soon enoughblack_n_orange_08 will become famous soon enoughblack_n_orange_08 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolgirl View Post
Has anyone tried a kit like this?? It looks simple, and it's inexpensive, but I'm wondering how safe it is, and whether it affects the shocks' ability to absorb impacts.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Sport...#ht_2175wt_941
I've got a set of these hanging on the wall in my garage that I can't give away. They change your shock angle to a point where they don't work effectively, and put it in a strain and will eventually cause them to bow until they bind.

Maybe you should look into a BURLEY "Slammer" kit. Try the Google bar at the bottom of the page.
Know Thy Hog

Old 24th November 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Gone...
Other Motorcycle Model: The Beast (M109R)
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
snowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud of

The only issue I can see with this kind of kit is it puts the tire a lot closer to the fender (and everything under it), without stiffening any suspension rates. This means that if you hit a certain bump with stock shocks and took 2-3" of suspension travel to absorb it, when you install this kit and go over that bump, that's not going to change until the tire slams into the fender...

If I was going to slam a bike, I would look at getting shorter, stiffer shocks in the 11" range...

***RIP***
--Mr. JIMI
--JOHNNY G
--BryanEOD
Old 24th November 2009
Greasemonkey

Toolgirl will become famous soon enoughToolgirl will become famous soon enoughToolgirl will become famous soon enoughToolgirl will become famous soon enoughToolgirl will become famous soon enoughToolgirl will become famous soon enoughToolgirl will become famous soon enoughToolgirl will become famous soon enough

Believe it or not, I have 11" Progressives now and would like my bike to be a little lower - I'm 5' 3". I'd eventually like to put a more comfortable seat on, which means it will lift me a little higher, so that's another reason for needing the bike to be lower.

I saw a thread about 10" Lick's and have posted a question there, but have yet to get a response as to how those ride. Any idea about the Lick's?
Old 24th November 2009

Sportster/Buell Model: Gone...
Other Motorcycle Model: The Beast (M109R)
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
snowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolgirl View Post
Believe it or not, I have 11" Progressives now and would like my bike to be a little lower - I'm 5' 3". I'd eventually like to put a more comfortable seat on, which means it will lift me a little higher, so that's another reason for needing the bike to be lower.

I saw a thread about 10" Lick's and have posted a question there, but have yet to get a response as to how those ride. Any idea about the Lick's?
I've heard good and bad... They definitely ride stiffer and should, but some folks don't seem to mind that level of stiffness to look good, or in your case, flatfoot the bike... Read this:

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...d.php?t=366438

There's more in the suspension section...
Old 24th November 2009
Greasemonkey

Great, thanks for your help guys! Sorry to hijack this thread.
Old 25th November 2009

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
XLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud of

There are several issues to consider when lowering a bike. No matter what else you do, you will have less cornering clearance. One guy reported getting thrown off his bike when his peg caught a manhole cover while leaned over in a corner.

The shocks act as the travel limiter for the swing arm. The shocks bottom out and prevent tire or anything else from rubbing or hitting. Nighsters have a reflector under the fender that can hit the belt guard and break off. EFI bikes can hit the ECM under the seat.

Most riders with short legs are also light weight, 140 lbs. Most short shocks have stiffer springs which make the ride ever worse for light weight riders. One way around this is to use longer shocks with lighter springs and then use lowering blocks to get your feet back on the ground.

Lowered bikes may also need to have the kick stand cut shorter.

See the link in my signature, there is a section on lowering a bike. Be sure to read the Sportytrace and Whittle beast threads. There are also links to the Progressive website. You can always add rebound / top out / lowering springs to the forks to lower them. The springs are 1" long and you have to remove the damper tubes to get them in.
Ricor test rider for IAS Shocks, Intiminators and Vibranators. Works Dual Rate fork springs, fork brace, Avon Venom X tires, loosen drive belt, and set frame rails level to floor. Read the "7 Pages of Suspension" thread in the Suspension Sticky Index to learn how to fix your suspension.
Know Thy Hog