The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Mother Road Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
jojo, 5lv (66), BobbyB (60), BigBrotherWatching (52), black1200r (45), Jnomad72 (42), michigan113 (39), xl1200c (33)
DK Customs
Dead Creek Cycles
Motor Stage
Fix My Hog

Motor Stage

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th June 2007
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1961
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Sportster XL
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1957
Other Motorcycle Model: XL 61 62 64 65 68 70 78
Moon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to all
Default How high should I go?

I'm doing well on my 61XLH project. I now have about 85% of the parts I need for a complete restoration. I may have even located both of the main pieces to a toolbox/spark coil cover as well as a few other "hens teeth."

My biggest problem now is a year-appropriate frame. In part because of all the help from forum members, I know exactly what I need and how to identify it. What I don't know is how much I should pay.

So here's my totally subjective question. I may have located am unmolested XLH frame (waiting for confirmation on exact year), but they want almost eight-hundred for it, including shipping. Is this too much to pay? Chime in with your opinions, informed or not. I'd like to know what you think.
Old 17th June 2007
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: KHK
Sportster/Buell Year: 1954
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLC
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1958
Other Motorcycle Model: XLRTT
Other Motorcycle Year: 1966
thefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nice

Hi, Moon Wolf,

Seems a bit high to me... Sportster frames usually go for less than $ 500.00

Patrick
Old 17th June 2007
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Goshawk is on a distinguished roadGoshawk is on a distinguished roadGoshawk is on a distinguished roadGoshawk is on a distinguished road

Way too much.
Old 18th June 2007

Moon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to all

Yeah, I know. My problem is I need the correct model and year and it has to be unmolested, and there weren't that many made in the first place. As far as I know, they don't divide the figures for those early years between H and CH, but I'm guess there were less than 2000 made.

So, I guess my real question goes something like this: If this DOES turn out to be the right year and I pass on it, how likely do you think I am to find another one?
Old 18th June 2007
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: FXRS-SP
Sportster/Buell Year: 86
Other Motorcycle Model: wla flathead45
Other Motorcycle Year: 1945
flathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant future

then again how bad do you need it?

make an offer and see, might cost more in the long run trying to find one cheaper

mines a 72 and they only made about 2000 also but theres 4 in town here (running)
thank god for darwin
Know Thy Hog

Old 18th June 2007
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH, restored
Sportster/Buell Year: 1962
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH, period hotrod basket
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1961
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDXT (T-sport)
Other Motorcycle Year: 2002
joestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the rough

It depends on what you want from your restoration. If you want a nice old sportster, then its a bit much. If you want to show your bike and get high points from the AMCA, then it's not too much. Consider it in relation to the rest of your project. If it's the last part you need for a concorse restoration, then go for it. If like me, your case numbers don't match so you will never make it to the concorse, then it's to much.
That's my two cents...
Old 18th June 2007

Yeah, it's a slippery slope. In the beginning, I was just trying to put it back in original form, but I've had enough luck finding the little bells and whistles that I've started to think why not make it perfect? The danger in that, of course, is making it too nice to ride, which seems a little silly I suppose.

A number of years ago I almost bought an Mercedes 380SL. The reason I finally decided against it was that I didn't want to have a car I had to worry about (where to park it and so on). Why buy something that's just going to add another hassle to your life?

But, hell, I have a gadzillion dollars in this Sporty project already, what's another $800? Why in the heck do my kids need to go to college anyhow?
Old 18th June 2007
Super Moderacer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLRR
Sportster/Buell Year: 91
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH1100
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 80
racerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant future

if its the correct, unmolested legal frame then $800 would be okay...... you could probably find one cheaper but how long is that gonna take? how much is your time worth? how soon do ya wanna be riding it?

Ww

Blue Locktite..... I put that sh*t on everything.....

"never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence"

"All The Way"
Old 18th June 2007

Thanks, Racerwill, that's the kind of response I like to hear.
Old 18th June 2007
Senior Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 93 Cubic Inch XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1968
Other Motorcycle Model: Ultra Limited
Other Motorcycle Year: 2014
fdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of light

In the grand scheme of things I think if your going for a total restoration $800 is not very much at all. Hey, a date coded correct alternator for my 1969 Z/28 Camaro is $2,000. As long as the frame is what they claim it is then $800 is not too much at all.

Know Thy Hog