The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum CV Performance  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Styles > Sportster Motorcycle Custom Finishing
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Custom Finishing Here is where you can discuss various ways of customizing your Sportster motorcycle or Buell motorcycle.

Members Birthdays
jdhickm (79), Chip (66), Chief4x4 (64), willyobiker (62), CBryant (61), XLCH69 (58), sage (55), VettesRule (52), jerseyjeff (52), TheExecutioner (49), SalTheWop (49), manic_mechanic, pauldmedic16 (40), BluegrassXL (36), Superman
Motor Stage
DK Customs
S&S Cycle
Get Lowered

Foxcreek Leather

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th May 2005
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1250C originally
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
mikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant future
Default who has moved their ingnition switch?

how many people if any has moved their ignition switch? I have seen one person on here move it to the triangle cover right behind the battery. I did a search but cannott find that post. I need to move my ignition switch because my coil is about a MM away from the top of the engine and it has melted a little bit wear it is closest to the engine but i cannot move it up because the ignition switch is attached to the coil bracket and when i move the coil up the ignition switch goes up also and gets in the way of my tank mounting properly. I did buy a coil mounting bracket meanr for a sportbob tank which is what i have on the bike. Anyway if anyone has relocated their ignition switch to another part of the bike can you maybee show some pics of it if you have any and maybee a brief description of how you did it. thanks

Hammer 1250 kit W/ 30░ reverse dome pistons
Hammer billet 2" forward offset open air cleaner
Hammer billet intake manifold
Hammer Impact 560's
Buell xb heads with crush level head porting
Mikuni HSR 45
177.5 main
25 slow
Clip 4th slot from top
Jim's powerglide II lifters
Sledge hammer pushrods
Supertrapp supermeg exhaust 20 disks and open end cap.
S&S roller rockers
Alto Carbonite clutch with Energy One 15% heavier spring plate.
Daytona twin tech single fire ignition 1005s
Ricor intimnators
13" Ricor IAS shocks
Brembo dual disk setup from a 2012 street glide with matching brembo street glide master cylinder
Koso T&T multi function speedo/tach

Last edited by mikeLI_77; 8th May 2005 at 16:31..
Old 8th May 2005
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883>1200 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHTCU
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
txsporty is on a distinguished roadtxsporty is on a distinguished roadtxsporty is on a distinguished roadtxsporty is on a distinguished roadtxsporty is on a distinguished road

Did you remount your coil to another location?? If so, I'd like to see a pic!!
Old 8th May 2005
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

mikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant future

no not yet. i was thinking about that but all the mounts i see require you to relocate the horn and i can't figure on wear to put the horn then. don't want to put it up top inbetween the frame because i am afraid i would bang up the fender on a large bump or pot hole or something. i was able to push it up higher without relocating it to another part of the bike to get it away from the engine but since the ignition key went up with it because it is attached to the same bracket it got in the way of the tank and i could not get the right side gas tank mounting bolt on so i had to put it back wear it was for now.
Old 8th May 2005

txsporty is on a distinguished roadtxsporty is on a distinguished roadtxsporty is on a distinguished roadtxsporty is on a distinguished roadtxsporty is on a distinguished road

Ok, I'm looking to move my coil and ignition switch also..

I'll let you know what I come up with!!!
Old 8th May 2005
Senior Chief Know It All

Other Motorcycle Model: Road King
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
Chip is on a distinguished roadChip is on a distinguished roadChip is on a distinguished road

Put a six-post fatbob switch on a cast dash on the 2" stretched tank. Check my pics in member gallery photos.
Know Thy Hog

Old 8th May 2005
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 94
Other Motorcycle Model: Custom Santee Rigid
Other Motorcycle Year: 04
DaddyJay has disabled reputation

You can move your ignition switch to the upper motor mount on the left side of the bike. I bought a 2" stretch tank and it came with the ignition relocation kit. I know that you have to remove the ignition switch from its plastic housing and use the chrome housing that comes with the kit. Havent installed the tank yet, so I don't know how difficult the relocation is going to be..... The kit comes with directions. I can send them to you if you'd like.
Old 9th May 2005
Biker

Leef is an unknown quantity at this point

I moved my switch (1200R) to the top handlebar clamp, like on many other bikes. Had to extend the wiring and make a small aluminum mounting plate that's held by the two rear handle bar clamp bolts. That's where a switch belongs!
Old 9th May 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leef
I moved my switch (1200R) to the top handlebar clamp, like on many other bikes. Had to extend the wiring and make a small aluminum mounting plate that's held by the two rear handle bar clamp bolts. That's where a switch belongs!

Do you have a Pic of it??
Old 9th May 2005
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Custom 1200custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
harleybuilder has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyJay
You can move your ignition switch to the upper motor mount on the left side of the bike. I bought a 2" stretch tank and it came with the ignition relocation kit. I know that you have to remove the ignition switch from its plastic housing and use the chrome housing that comes with the kit. Havent installed the tank yet, so I don't know how difficult the relocation is going to be..... The kit comes with directions. I can send them to you if you'd like.
I moved mine to the to upper center motor mount on the left side of the bike when i installed my stretch tank. It was pretty simple, and looks real clean, most people do not even notice that it is there. I drilled through my center motor mount and used small machine screws to attach the chrome housing that that came with the tank. I will try to post pictures tomorrow night.
Old 9th May 2005
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleybuilder
I moved mine to the to upper center motor mount on the left side of the bike when i installed my stretch tank. It was pretty simple, and looks real clean, most people do not even notice that it is there. I drilled through my center motor mount and used small machine screws to attach the chrome housing that that came with the tank. I will try to post pictures tomorrow night.
i would appreciate the pics harleybuilder thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyJay
If you could tell me wear you got the tank from also maybee i could buy that relocation kit that you got and do the same thing. so far all i have found is the coil mounts which which the sites say are meant for the big twins that have an ignition switch hole in them which i like but the ones i liked were around $300. each which would also require me to relocate the horn as well to make room for the coil bracket. and other than that i found from rick doss i believe it was on the hog farm web site they had a steel tube that was cut on one end to hold the ignition switch and the other end was cut to wrap around the frame and be welded to it. only problem there is i cannont re-powdercoat it unless i rip apart the bike down to the frame i believe and i don't want to just spray it and have it keep chipping on me. If you could copy the instructions or maybee scan them if you have a scanner and post them here or email them to me that would be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip
Put a six-post fatbob switch on a cast dash on the 2" stretched tank. Check my pics in member gallery photos.
that looks nice but my fatbob tank has the gas cap in the center wear your speedo is. That would not work for me.

thanks all for the help. i appreciate it.

Last edited by mikeLI_77; 9th May 2005 at 04:40..
Know Thy Hog