The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Zipper's Performance  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Drivetrain > Sportster Motorcycle Tires, Wheels, and Brakes
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Tires, Wheels, and Brakes Discuss issues with Sportster motorcycle tires, wheels and brakes.

Members Birthdays
oldsporty1 (64), BIRD DOG (58), paris15 (56), thesmithiz (56), pajimmyjoe (55), chuckam (51), steve w (45), le_strike (38), Rubicon (32), r3db3ard3d (26)
Burly
Biltwell
Energy One Clutches
RYCA Motors

Energy One Clutches

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th December 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: iron head
Sportster/Buell Year: 73
Blaze Gibson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rear axle spacers

Hope I got this post in the right spot! Mocking up a 73 roller with little experience and much desire! Rear axle binds when I torq down. Looks like I have proper hardware (retrieved from box of parts) but left with a 1/4" gap, before torq. Wheel is centered. Is it ok to add wheel spacer or am I missing something, or missing washers??? It is a round swingarm.
Old 5th December 2009
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 86
crapgame is just really nicecrapgame is just really nicecrapgame is just really nicecrapgame is just really nicecrapgame is just really nicecrapgame is just really nicecrapgame is just really nicecrapgame is just really nicecrapgame is just really nicecrapgame is just really nicecrapgame is just really nice

theres a spacer between the bearings . are you sure its there.? if not you will just squash the bearings. a little drawing i just did hope it helps.

heres a better pic for you. LOL

if #9 is not the right length you either crush or its to loose.
my rear was binding same as yours after intalling new bearings got a piece of 3/4inch gas pipe cut it to right length (took a few trys to get it right} torqued it down works peerrrfffeecctt.
Old 5th December 2009
Biker

Im thinking I just need to add another spacer or shims to the left side, I tend to over analyze then accomplish nothing!! I will try to explain what I have, bear with me here! Starting on rt side, axle,axle adjuster, brake drum (axle through hub) left side, hub locknut,spacer (looks like hourglass) axle adjuster, through swingarm, washer,lock washer,axle nut. And you thought your diagram was confusing! LOL. Thanks for the input.
Old 5th December 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

XLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the rough

On mine the axle adjusters also act as spacers and have to be there.
Old 5th December 2009
Chief Master Mechanic

crapgame is just really nicecrapgame is just really nicecrapgame is just really nicecrapgame is just really nicecrapgame is just really nicecrapgame is just really nicecrapgame is just really nicecrapgame is just really nicecrapgame is just really nicecrapgame is just really nicecrapgame is just really nice

sorry i dont have a manual for your year
Know Thy Hog

Old 5th December 2009

XLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the rough

Ok, from the left side axle, frame, adjuster large chrome spacer, Wheel, brake drum, AXLE ADJUSTER, frame, then a alignment washer ( has flats on 2 sides to fit snug in axle slot ) lock washer and finally nut. There is no spacer on the right ( chain side ) just the adjuster.
The diagrams crapgame has posted ONLY show the spacers that are on the hub/wheel itself. Spacing the bearings only.
Old 5th December 2009
Chief Master Mechanic

somebodys got to have the manual for you.? is this any help
Old 6th December 2009
Biker

Upon further review and a consult with the service manual, it appears Im missing an axle collar or alignment washer as musicman suggested. I will need to check manual a little better, I swear I could'nt see it in the specs! Got the collar ordered and will check the bearings while Im waiting. I better go double check my boxes of junk! Thanks to all and Im sure I will be in touch! Its my first build!
Old 6th December 2009
Chief Master Mechanic

been there done that .i just read the manual like its a good novel (kind of is isnt it) let us know how you make out.? oh and welcome . we love to look at pics so post them up. where are you from.? go say hi to everybody in the Introduce Yourself forum.
Old 6th December 2009

The axle collar/washer doesn't do anything for spacing though as it goes on the outside of the frame. If you have your large left side spacer and both of your adjusters in place and still have space I'd start checking your bearing spacers. Those are in the diagrams posted above. I just ran into that problem when converting to rear disk setup. One outer bearing spacer missing.
Know Thy Hog