The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Energy One Clutches  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
ziggyhd1 (56), greven (54)
Dead Creek Cycles
DK Customs
Zippers Performance
Figure Machine

NHRS Performance

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th December 2004
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Buell 1125CR
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1964
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki Ninja 250
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
xl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura about
Default Touring Question

I'm loosly planning a trip to visit a friend that moved out to Kansas, and I live in upstate New York. I have alot of family and friends along the way, so there are pleny of stops. But some of the legs might have to be as many as 8 hours long. Is this too long to ride continuously? I have 1 2004 1200. I can usually do very long distances in a car no problem (I've done 8 hours straight more than once, with only a 30 minute stop to eat, pee, and gas up). What do you think?
Old 7th December 2004
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Wardog is an unknown quantity at this point

I have done 300 miles in one day but did not take enough breaks. I would recommend a 15 minute break every 100 miles.
Old 7th December 2004
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 03
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHR
Other Motorcycle Year: 99
waterboy is an unknown quantity at this point

My longest day was 900 mi in 11 hours, Vegas to San Jose. I honestly don't think I could have got up the next day and rode again. Try and pace yourself. On the way back you can sprint cause your movin towards home and rest.

On that trip I wasn't diligent about shifting positions, kinda hunkered down and went for it. When I got home my back was in knots. When I went to Laughlin I made sure I changed hands often, (not just when it hurt) and moved around as much as I could, it made a difference.
Old 7th December 2004
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 03
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHR
Other Motorcycle Year: 99
waterboy is an unknown quantity at this point

umm I think that was 600 mi, sorry
Old 7th December 2004
Riding with Angels

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XLH 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
Jimbo999 is a jewel in the roughJimbo999 is a jewel in the roughJimbo999 is a jewel in the roughJimbo999 is a jewel in the roughJimbo999 is a jewel in the roughJimbo999 is a jewel in the roughJimbo999 is a jewel in the roughJimbo999 is a jewel in the roughJimbo999 is a jewel in the roughJimbo999 is a jewel in the roughJimbo999 is a jewel in the rough
Default Mileage

The Question has been asked before and most agree. Frequent rest stops and stretch breaks can extend a days total mileage. Have water and snacks handy. Don't forget to eyeball the Bike and check fluids and tire pressure. I saw a sheeps skin wool pad for the seat...Looked good for longer rides.
You might feel like a wuss but a back brace can help also. Gott'a have tools, fresh plugs and a cell phone....etc.

Just my $.02 worth

... -----> Makes the scenery more interesting
Blue Loctite is your Friend
Know Thy Hog

Old 7th December 2004
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: '97
skooter will become famous soon enoughskooter will become famous soon enoughskooter will become famous soon enoughskooter will become famous soon enoughskooter will become famous soon enoughskooter will become famous soon enough

I agree with jimbo about the backbrace especially. When I do long trips I always tie down my stuff to the passenger seat in such away that I can lean against it while I'm riding. It really makes a huge difference to the distance that I can travel if my lower back is supported. Don't forget your sporty has a limited range with the smaller tank compared to the bikes set up for touring. Your butt will usually last as long as the tank. I always took a break for a while at every fill up it helped.
Old 7th December 2004
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Umm
Sportster/Buell Year: Yah
Other Motorcycle Model: UltraClassic Electraglide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2010
Ole is a name known to allOle is a name known to allOle is a name known to allOle is a name known to allOle is a name known to allOle is a name known to allOle is a name known to allOle is a name known to allOle is a name known to allOle is a name known to allOle is a name known to all
Default Mileage/Time

The one thing that I've found for my comfort level is that, riding style and conditions dependant, it isn't the miles in the saddle but the time in the saddle. The longest I've spent in my saddle so far is about 12 hours, but my scooter is set up almost exactly the way that I want it for comfort. I have a Mustang seat, ape hangers, an engine guard with highway pegs on it and a T-Bag to lean back against. When I was done with those 12 hours I honestly was not sore in the least bit...I was wet (150 miles of the ride was in rain), but not sore.

I'd say that the biggest thing to REALLY pay attention to on the road is your physical and mental state. If you find yourself daydreaming or it starts to feel good to blink your eyes then GET OFF OF THE ROAD...that way you can come back and tell us how your trip went.

Good luck with your trip and make sure to update us!

Just because you have the right to do it doesn't mean that it is right to do it.

Old 7th December 2004
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Seat

I just ordered the HD Sportster touring seat with the drivers back rest on it, talked to a few people who had and said it was great. I have a 03 883 sportster and put over 6000 miles this summer on it, plan on a lot more in 05 and longer trips. Will let you know how the seat works out.
Old 7th December 2004
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point

You HAVE to do these things no matter how strange they look to most people -- When I was 30 my girlfiend and I took off for six weeks one summer to circumnavigate the United States in a 100 hp 1500 pound airplane -- now I'm old and I find that most people my age have never had an adventure in thier lives -- I have stories and a smile and a certain amount of wisdom and self confidence that is gained from pushing the envelope -- they are just old, I have a brand new Sportster -- and they are just getting older. Have fun on your trip!! You will find it is more fun to live reality TV than watch it.
Old 7th December 2004
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: '97
skooter will become famous soon enoughskooter will become famous soon enoughskooter will become famous soon enoughskooter will become famous soon enoughskooter will become famous soon enoughskooter will become famous soon enough

Right on exboyracer!

Last edited by skooter; 7th December 2004 at 19:11..
Know Thy Hog