The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Biltwell  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
qrtsteve (60), johnboy (45), bmonty72 (42), superscythe (41), grahamc (29)
Dead Creek Cycles
Energy One Clutches
Get Lowered
DK Customs

Biltwell

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th December 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1971
Jplath will become famous soon enoughJplath will become famous soon enoughJplath will become famous soon enoughJplath will become famous soon enoughJplath will become famous soon enoughJplath will become famous soon enough
Default Cant find my frame VIN

Hey guys,
Finally getting back to my 71 sportster project after a 3 month hiatus. I was hoping to take car of the registration but i still cant seem to locate my frame Vin. The bike was a basket case that i was told had been out of the system for at least 25 years (i have NO paper work whatsoever). The engine vin indicates that it is 1971 xlh. My Harley manual says that the vin is located on the steering tube, however, i have also heard of it being stamped somewhere underneath the seat. What makes this so difficult is that the frame has been bondoed extensively (i guess to smooth out the welds?). I managed to sand down the bondo and paint on the steering tube only to reveal bare metal and no numbers. I also chiseled down about a 1/4 inch of bondo underneath the seat and discovered that the old seat mounts had been braised over with brass, but still no numbers.
Can anyone tell me (or show me ) the exact location(s) of the vin? pictures would be great...
If it has no vin (pre 1970 frame or ... stolen at some point and shaved down) is it still possible to register it - either by claiming it to be a pre 1970 bike or stamping a new vin?
thanks
Old 7th December 2009
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1990
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Sportster XLH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1976
dave76 is a glorious beacon of lightdave76 is a glorious beacon of lightdave76 is a glorious beacon of lightdave76 is a glorious beacon of lightdave76 is a glorious beacon of lightdave76 is a glorious beacon of lightdave76 is a glorious beacon of lightdave76 is a glorious beacon of lightdave76 is a glorious beacon of lightdave76 is a glorious beacon of lightdave76 is a glorious beacon of light

Ahh someone decided they wanted to smooth the frame neck on mine and sanded everything nice and smooth, no numbers to be found. You might be in the same boat too.

1990 1200 Sportster, Cycle Shack drag pipes, V-Twin billet 3" extended forward controls, Zippers Billet 4 speed trap door.Update, 86 1100 heads, NRHS 1250 cylinders, Andrews V4 cams, and Compufire Elite 1 ignition. 07 Buell oil pump, Complete Andrews 4 Speed gears and shafts, Barnett Scorpion clutch. HHI 3' mid glide trees. HHI 6 piston front caliper, H-D floating rotor.
Old 7th December 2009
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1000cc Ironhead Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: 96 KDX200 Dirt Bike
russzx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to all

Here's where it is on my 77 . . .there was some point where there was no frame number. .i'm not sure what year that was??. DO NOT!!. ...go stamping anything on the frame that even resembles a frame number. ..you will be branded with a stolen tag and the whole bike confiscated on suspicion. .. Personally i don't go telling the whole internet world my complete engine number either . . .see you just gave some bike thief full details of your bike and the fact its been out of circulation for 25 years, and you have no paperwork for it. .. they jump in, rebrand their stolen bike with your numbers before you . ..and sheebang . .your's is then the copy . . .ps. i'd go back to your original email and replace some numbers with ***. . . . .i'm just sayin

Old 7th December 2009
Biker

Jplath will become famous soon enoughJplath will become famous soon enoughJplath will become famous soon enoughJplath will become famous soon enoughJplath will become famous soon enoughJplath will become famous soon enough

thanks russzx6...the changes have been made. Didn't even think about that! i'll sand some more paint and see if shows up (havent checked that far down on the steering tube yet).
Old 7th December 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 05
merc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud of

If there is no serial number, can the registry assign a number?
What do you do if you make a frame from scratch using a frame jig and steel tubes that you weld together. How do you get a serial number for that?

Old 7th December 2009
Biker

Couldn't find anything further down on the steering tube (like in the picture). Anyone else with an early 70's ironhead? What can i do if this thing doesn't have a vin on the frame?
Old 7th December 2009
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Other Motorcycle Model: Custom Rigid XL
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
billy bob is just really nicebilly bob is just really nicebilly bob is just really nicebilly bob is just really nicebilly bob is just really nicebilly bob is just really nicebilly bob is just really nicebilly bob is just really nicebilly bob is just really nicebilly bob is just really nicebilly bob is just really nice

you say you have no paperwork at all ? Have you ever had the eng. #'s ran to find out if they're "clean" ? Call your state DMV and ask them about registration requirements. I hope you got a hell of a deal on that basket case. Most people stay away from frames and engines/cases if there is no paper. Good luck.
Old 7th December 2009
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XLS 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1980
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH 883 deluxe
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1989
Other Motorcycle Model: CB 450 (honda chopper)
Other Motorcycle Year: 1974
ghost_rader has a spectacular aura aboutghost_rader has a spectacular aura aboutghost_rader has a spectacular aura aboutghost_rader has a spectacular aura aboutghost_rader has a spectacular aura aboutghost_rader has a spectacular aura aboutghost_rader has a spectacular aura aboutghost_rader has a spectacular aura aboutghost_rader has a spectacular aura aboutghost_rader has a spectacular aura aboutghost_rader has a spectacular aura about

if it was supposed to be numbers matching when you got it, the frame vin and the engine vin were the same in 71 i believe. register it with the engine vin and be done with it. just say the frame is custom and has no numbers on it.
1980 XLS sportster 1000, .030 over electric ign, accel coil and wires, s&s Super E carb, progressive rate shocks, quick bob tank and rear fender, custom wheels (21"frt), billet trees, drag bars, custom lighting, 2-1 exhaust, 82-95 controls, and probably more
Old 7th December 2009
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Year: 66
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 67 XLH, 63 XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 67
Other Motorcycle Model: FXRT
Other Motorcycle Year: 91
66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about

I would claim it's pre '70. I would also ask my local cops (hypothecally, of course) what they think.

I dont think they ever put a frame vin elsewhere than the lower part of the neck casting on Ironhead frames ( with neck castings anyway). On tubular frames, the number is on the right front of the steering stem tube.
Old 7th December 2009
Senior Chief Know It All 3rd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 883/1200 Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1992
Other Motorcycle Model: Bonneville
Other Motorcycle Year: 1971
einheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really nice

You should be able to title it by the motor since Harley may have used an earlier frame. My 60 Triumph had a frame number, but didn't match anything on the title or dealer invoice. My '71 Triumph is registered with the engine number. I put it in a '67 frame, no numbers. My '75 was the same way...the frame had no number that could read except for an 506...check your state DMV about registering certain years by engine or frame number.
Know Thy Hog