The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum NRHS PERFORMANCE 2  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up) For 2007 and above Sportsters

Members Birthdays
Wardog (65), ZeD (62), JamieSporty95 (42), JStrong (37), llsmketr, Phelan (29)
S&S Cycle
883 Sportster
Get Lowered
Burly

Progressive Suspension

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th December 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Burgester72 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help!! - 2008 Nightster Issue

So it's been about 2 weeks since I started it up. It started like a charm as usual and I let it idle for about 40 minutes as I was talking to a friend. Longer idle time than usual by about 35 minutes as the time got away from me while visiting...I have read that Harley's go through a test at the factory where they idle for a long period of time under very hot conditions in regards to outside weather temperature. In the back of my mind I kept thinking that it's ok for it to idle a bit because they get tested like this in the factory and it's no problem for a Harley to idle...

So when I put the bike in first gear and began to take off it "knocked" and I pulled the clutch in. I did this 3 more times and got worried and shut the bike off.

The bike was very "HOT" at this point and even smelled hot. Hotter than I have ever seen the bike.

When I went to start the bike it knocked, caughed and didn't want to start. I tried to start it about 3 times and gave up. The bike was so hot I eventually pulled it out into the windy parking lot and let mother nature cool it down. Thankfully there was a good head wind and the bike cooled down quickly.

It started up "after the cool down" and made the worst knocking sound. I shut it off as quick as I heard the knocking sound and was pretty upset that something bad wrong was happening inside the engine.

I let it sit and cool way down for about 15 minutes.

I hit the start button again and the knocking sound was gone, bike started right up, I rode it about 3 miles and parked it.

Has anyone ran across this before?
Old 13th December 2009
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 Low/TTS/Gronked
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1975
2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice

Nope, I never idle after start up for more than about two minutes.

I don't think you need to be overly concerned about it as long as it rides and runs normal. However, I would not idle the bike for more than a few minutes, unless you have to get out and get on it right away. Then I would probably just warm it up til the heads are at least warm to the touch, maybe 5 minutes max.

I thought you made a misprint when you posted this, but 40 minutes, what the hell were you thinking.
Old 14th December 2009
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Sportster/Buell Model #2: SX 250
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1975
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph America
Other Motorcycle Year: 2002
Tin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud of

Dont try to blame the Bike for your actions, All air cooled bikes need to have air circulation to cool. Check your Owners Manual, you will find it mentioned many times, do not let the bike idle for extended periods. Sounds like you got off easy this time. But you may have damaged some gaskets and or seals that will show up later.
Old 14th December 2009
Biker

scott1963 is on a distinguished roadscott1963 is on a distinguished roadscott1963 is on a distinguished roadscott1963 is on a distinguished roadscott1963 is on a distinguished road

I would change the oil and filter ASAP
Old 14th December 2009
XLF Enforcer.

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki
Other Motorcycle Year: 2001
ElectricCityIron is a name known to allElectricCityIron is a name known to allElectricCityIron is a name known to allElectricCityIron is a name known to allElectricCityIron is a name known to allElectricCityIron is a name known to allElectricCityIron is a name known to allElectricCityIron is a name known to allElectricCityIron is a name known to allElectricCityIron is a name known to allElectricCityIron is a name known to all

Ya when i bought my 2010 iron the service manager made the point clear...DO NOT LET THIS BIKE IDLE FOR MORE THEN 10 MIN.....even that was pushing it. He did say to let it idle for a couple of min, or until rocker box was warm before riding though...but this is about a min min and a half at the most....

40 min...i let my bike idle once for like 5 min at 32 degrees outside and i got nervous, immediately taking it for an easy ride home from work...g luck

Old 14th December 2009
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California EV
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
jharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond repute

You got lucky. These bikes need to move to keep cool. Never idle for more than five minutes.

Jim in Italy
'93 1200
4"Extended Jaybrake Forward Controls
Wide Wishbone Girder Front End
Super E Carb w/Forcewinder Air Cleaner
WetDreamz Pipes
Holographic Metal Flake Paint Job
Four Piston Jaybrake Calipers front & back
16" Carlini Apes
Old 14th December 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Other Motorcycle Model: Road King Custom
Other Motorcycle Year: 2005
Mbagger will become famous soon enoughMbagger will become famous soon enoughMbagger will become famous soon enoughMbagger will become famous soon enoughMbagger will become famous soon enoughMbagger will become famous soon enough

Just because the knocking sound was gone for your 3 mile ride home does not mean it will not return.

Change the oil & filter right away.

If you are not under warranty, now might be the time to purchase an extended warranty.
Old 14th December 2009
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: nightster
colonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbagger View Post
Just because the knocking sound was gone for your 3 mile ride home does not mean it will not return.

Change the oil & filter right away.

If you are not under warranty, now might be the time to purchase an extended warranty.
x2

and dont mention this ever happened
Old 14th December 2009
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda XL 125
Other Motorcycle Year: 1982
linkin5 is just really nicelinkin5 is just really nicelinkin5 is just really nicelinkin5 is just really nicelinkin5 is just really nicelinkin5 is just really nicelinkin5 is just really nicelinkin5 is just really nicelinkin5 is just really nicelinkin5 is just really nicelinkin5 is just really nice

The manual says not to let the bike sit and idle. On my 07 I never have.
Old 14th December 2009
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1998 S= Superior Model
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
shotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond repute

40 minutes oh my I am surprised it did not seize up on you