The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Foxcreek Leather  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Frame Mount EVO Sportster Talk (1986-2003 models)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
black pearl (70), SDREDD (53), pig (51), BonRu (49), cbass (41), ssm7530 (39), SxysCowboy (31)
Biltwell
Biltwell
Superbrace
Bison Motorsports

DK Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th December 2009
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1987
Other Motorcycle Model: Yamaha XV750 Virago
Other Motorcycle Year: 1982
Vanmor has a spectacular aura aboutVanmor has a spectacular aura aboutVanmor has a spectacular aura aboutVanmor has a spectacular aura aboutVanmor has a spectacular aura aboutVanmor has a spectacular aura aboutVanmor has a spectacular aura aboutVanmor has a spectacular aura aboutVanmor has a spectacular aura aboutVanmor has a spectacular aura aboutVanmor has a spectacular aura about
Default Oil Lines

I want to replace my oil lines. There are two on the bike that look original. Thats saying something considering my bike is an 87' model.

Problem is, over the years when I buy fuel or oil lines, they come in various forms of quality. It's almost like some of the lines I bought were for fuel or oil. Not sure I like that. Also, some lines seem to fit different than others.

Where can I get quality oil and fuel line ? Who makes these ?
Old 14th December 2009
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1994
Peg Scraper is a glorious beacon of lightPeg Scraper is a glorious beacon of lightPeg Scraper is a glorious beacon of lightPeg Scraper is a glorious beacon of lightPeg Scraper is a glorious beacon of lightPeg Scraper is a glorious beacon of lightPeg Scraper is a glorious beacon of lightPeg Scraper is a glorious beacon of lightPeg Scraper is a glorious beacon of lightPeg Scraper is a glorious beacon of lightPeg Scraper is a glorious beacon of light

or

You can buy the hose either by itself foot wise and use hose clamps.
or
Buy the hoses as complete kits, cut to length with fittings already put on.
The kits have the fittings usually crimped/pressed on.

J&P is a good source, others are out there.
http://www.jpcycles.com/search/search/?Ne=755118&N=2761610%202761612%2028002076%20276042 5%20275111&D1=2761610%202761612%2028002076%2027604 25%20275111&Ntk=AllΝ=RepresentativePartNumber&fitm ent=1&results=100&Ns=Non%20Gold%20Price|1
[URL="http://www.xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/group.php?groupid=3"][highlight][B]Wisconsin Riders[/B][/highlight][/URL][B]
[I][SIZE=1]A collective area for get togethers, to needed help wrenching. even parts trading.[/SIZE][/I][/B][LIST][*][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle. ~[I]Author Unknown[/I][/FONT][*][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window. ~[I]Author Unknown[/I][/FONT][*][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~[I]Hunter Thompson[/I][/FONT][/LIST][CENTER]
[URL="http://www.wunderground.com/US/WI/West_Allis.html?bannertypeclick=big2"][IMG]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/big2_both_cond/language/www/US/WI/West_Allis.gif[/IMG][/URL]
[URL="http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KMWC/1972/1/1/PlannerHistory.html?bannertypeclick=htmlSticker"]Plan your trip[/URL] / [URL="http://www.wunderground.com/radar/radblast.asp?ID=MKX&region=a4&lat=43.02114105&lon=-88.01747894"]Local Radar[/URL] / [URL="http://www.wunderground.com/US/WI/West_Allis.html?bannertypeclick=htmlSticker"]Detailed Forecast[/URL]
[/CENTER]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype][B][SIZE=2]Ol' Dirtbeard of the Hell's Beerguts MC[/SIZE]
[I][URL="http://www.ratbike.org/motorcycho/outlawname.php"][SIZE=1]What's your Outlaw Biker name?[/SIZE][/URL][/I][/B][/FONT]
Old 14th December 2009

Vanmor has a spectacular aura aboutVanmor has a spectacular aura aboutVanmor has a spectacular aura aboutVanmor has a spectacular aura aboutVanmor has a spectacular aura aboutVanmor has a spectacular aura aboutVanmor has a spectacular aura aboutVanmor has a spectacular aura aboutVanmor has a spectacular aura aboutVanmor has a spectacular aura aboutVanmor has a spectacular aura about

I didn't want to go the crimp route. I don't have a crimp tool plus I trust the hose clamps just fine.

I was talking about something like Gates hoses or something like that. Seems all the hose you see these days is from China and it is used for gas or oil. Years ago the parts guy would ask you if you wanted oil line or fuel line. Since the mom and pop auto parts store has gone to the wayside, all you get is Autozone and they're generic stuff.

I have a J&P catalouge. I'll look in there. Russell is supposed to be a good brand.
Old 14th December 2009
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California EV
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
jharback has disabled reputation

Do you want standard black rubber, stainless steel, or black nylon? Both Russel and Goodridge are top quality.

Jim in Italy
'93 1200
4"Extended Jaybrake Forward Controls
Wide Wishbone Girder Front End
Super E Carb w/Forcewinder Air Cleaner
WetDreamz Pipes
Holographic Metal Flake Paint Job
Four Piston Jaybrake Calipers front & back
16" Carlini Apes
Old 14th December 2009
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
colonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nice

russell universal brake lines are DOT approved the goodridge lines are NOT
barnett makes high quality lines ,but are pricey.
i just ordered russell fittings and hose for my brake upgrade..
remember you get what you pay for
Know Thy Hog

Old 14th December 2009

The oil line on the old CB750 was braided.

The problem with braided line is that you don't get to see the rubber inside the braid starting to breakdown. Braided line looks so nice and you can buy braided sleeve to go over your lines with the clamp covers.

I'm just going with the rubber lines. I like the simple look. Besides my bike ain't that nice.
Old 15th December 2009
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California EV
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
jharback has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanmor View Post
The oil line on the old CB750 was braided.

The problem with braided line is that you don't get to see the rubber inside the braid starting to breakdown. Braided line looks so nice and you can buy braided sleeve to go over your lines with the clamp covers.

I'm just going with the rubber lines. I like the simple look. Besides my bike ain't that nice.
Braided oil lines are not only for looks. They are much stronger and allow for less expansion. They function much better. If you don't want the bling then go with the nylon lines.

Last edited by jharback; 15th December 2009 at 12:24..
Old 21st December 2009
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
kevmic28 will become famous soon enoughkevmic28 will become famous soon enoughkevmic28 will become famous soon enoughkevmic28 will become famous soon enoughkevmic28 will become famous soon enoughkevmic28 will become famous soon enough

I saw these on Flebay tonight that might be what your looking for.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/STAIN...item2303964438
Old 21st December 2009
Super Moderacer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLRR
Sportster/Buell Year: 91
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH1100
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 80
racerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant future
Cool hosed.....

in my opinion, among the very best high pressure, high heat, oil and fuel safe rubber hose is Goodyear......I use it on the race cars, customers cars and all my personal cars,
bikes, boats and all motorized toys.....

Ww

Blue Locktite..... I put that sh*t on everything.....

"never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence"

"All The Way"
Old 21st December 2009
Banned

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
AsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond repute

20 plus years for these original lines, not too bad if u ask me. and who knows how much longer before they go bad?

Ya dont need to spend more than double for something that who knows if your bike is gonna be around that long, im just sayin

ya could even get military spec ones so the lines still work in sub zero weather
Know Thy Hog