The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Motor Stage  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Mr.P (50), G-man1965, Dietoride (45), mct496 (43), JuggaloCujo (31)
Licks Holiday
Motor Stage
S&S Cycle
S&S Cycle

Energy One Clutches

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st December 2009
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 66
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 67 XLH, 63 XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 67
Other Motorcycle Model: FXRT
Other Motorcycle Year: 91
66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericfreeman View Post
I used the V-Twin kit several years ago when I fitted a kicker to my '78. At the time I wasn't on this forum so didn't know a lot about the aftermarket quality issues (hadn't had an Ironhead since 1979). However, before I installed the parts, I assembled the ratchet plate, bushing spacer and ratchet gear to see how they fitted together. The teeth on the ratchet plate and the gear meshed quite well and I was happy with the quality. I didn't have any OEM parts for comparison but I was satisfied the parts would work OK. Since the install, I've never experienced any slippage or problems with the V-Twin parts. Granted, I don't use the kicker very much but when I do it functions perfectly. Maybe I got lucky with the V-Twin parts or perhaps their quality control is a little better than it used to be.

Eric
People tend to exaggerate the low quality of the Tedds stuff. As a shop owner, I often have to use his stuff, because of availability issues, and I can usually make it work OK. I, for one am really grateful that he still repops this stuff, since the alternative is nothing but used and hard to find stuff. All of the major suppliers used to sell repop stuff for older bikes, and back then it got it's bad rap. I think the worst of the offshore stuff has been reworked and now you can get by with the repops, for the most part (pun intended).
Old 22nd December 2009
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66xlch View Post
People tend to exaggerate the low quality of the Tedds stuff. As a shop owner, I often have to use his stuff, because of availability issues, and I can usually make it work OK. I, for one am really grateful that he still repops this stuff, since the alternative is nothing but used and hard to find stuff. All of the major suppliers used to sell repop stuff for older bikes, and back then it got it's bad rap. I think the worst of the offshore stuff has been reworked and now you can get by with the repops, for the most part (pun intended).
Do not buy from Tedd's I can tell you from experience on that . Epic Fail
Old 26th March 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Year: 1973
xtapo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What about on a 74 with an added on kickstarter?,it need sproketcover soport braket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopper View Post
As well as those parts, you will need the sprocket cover support bracket. (If it is not already there, but not sure if they fitted them stock to the e-start bikes)
If you dont fit it, you will in short order break the locating bosses off your gearbox casing and the bend the kicker shaft. That is what happened on my early 77 that was made without that support bracket.
It bolts to the rear engine mount and to the extra hole in the late77 and all 78 sprocket covers.

Im adding a kicker to my 74 sportster and want to know, is what you said above, about needing a sprocket cover support bracket to prevent damage being caused, something i need to do for my 74 sportster too.
Old 26th March 2010
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

That support bracket is specifically for 1977 and 1978. Not needed on 1974.

Put kicker support in the SearchThisThread and you will find this post. One of the guys designed one for his '74 ...
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...rt#post2496731

Last edited by IronMick; 26th March 2010 at 16:45..
Old 26th March 2010
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1972
Other Motorcycle Model: Heritage Softail
Other Motorcycle Year: 1999
BuckIRyder has disabled reputation

If you have a battery ignition, points or electronic, it will not start if the battery is dead. The only thing that will start and run with a dead battery is a magneto equipped engine.
Know Thy Hog

Old 26th March 2010
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead XLH Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Ironhead XLT Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CBX 1000
Other Motorcycle Year: 1979
ericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckIRyder View Post
If you have a battery ignition, points or electronic, it will not start if the battery is dead. The only thing that will start and run with a dead battery is a magneto equipped engine.
True, but a battery/points ignition will start with a kicker if the battery is low. I have to do this on my '77 periodically if I don't ride it enough. Battery is too low to spin the motor on electric start but she fires right up using the kicker. Fortunately, points don't need a lot of voltage to still work, unlike most electronic ignitions.

Eric
1978 Anniversary Edition XLH. Wiseco 10:1 forged pistons, Andrews R5 cams, dual plugged heads with Super Port Flow, single fire ignition, Mikuni Solex 36 PHH carb, Jagg oil cooler, '73 gauges, kickstart, Barnett kevlar clutch, Progressive front springs, Hagon Nitro shocks, all-Andrews tranny. 1977 XLT, Mikuni Solex 36 PHH carb, tapered dual exhausts, Andrews Y cams, Progressive front springs, Hagon Nitro shocks.
Old 27th March 2010
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Year: 1979
dracos_78 is an unknown quantity at this point

I installed a kicker kit on mine (1979) about 2 years ago and it has got me out of a bind a couple of times.. I ordered my kit from j&p cycles and it came with everything needed.