The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Biltwell  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Motor / Engine > Sportster Motorcycle - Bottom End
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle - Bottom End Cams, Cases, Gears, Flywheel, Piston Conecting Rods, Oil Pump, etc...

Members Birthdays
oldsporty1 (64), BIRD DOG (58), paris15 (56), thesmithiz (56), pajimmyjoe (55), chuckam (51), steve w (45), le_strike (38), Rubicon (32), r3db3ard3d (26)
Speedway Instruments
Dead Creek Cycles
Get Lowered
DK Customs

Speedway Instruments

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th December 2009
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
2003 sporty baum is on a distinguished road2003 sporty baum is on a distinguished road2003 sporty baum is on a distinguished road
Default best cams for nrhs 1250 kit

hey guys im doing the 883 -1250 kit this week and am thinking of new cams as well what would be my best choice for cams im keeping the 883 heads stock also. thanks in advance for any help
Old 20th December 2009
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
il67bp is a name known to allil67bp is a name known to allil67bp is a name known to allil67bp is a name known to allil67bp is a name known to allil67bp is a name known to allil67bp is a name known to allil67bp is a name known to allil67bp is a name known to allil67bp is a name known to allil67bp is a name known to all

i cant recommend a cam but i know that when somebody with knowledge about cams chimes in he will ask what your looking for, as in what kind of riding style you have. do you want lots of low end power or top speed? ive also read in another post to not necessarilly think of cams as a power adder but more of a power mover. cams will increase hp and tq but ore impotantly they move hp and tq throughout the rpm range. so where you want power in the rpm range is what your going to have to decide and then someone will be able to recommend a cam or a few that will fit you
Old 20th December 2009
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki LT-R 450 Quadracer
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
drumballer has a spectacular aura aboutdrumballer has a spectacular aura aboutdrumballer has a spectacular aura aboutdrumballer has a spectacular aura aboutdrumballer has a spectacular aura aboutdrumballer has a spectacular aura aboutdrumballer has a spectacular aura aboutdrumballer has a spectacular aura aboutdrumballer has a spectacular aura aboutdrumballer has a spectacular aura about

Good advice with the answering what kind of riding you are gonna do and WHERE you want power. I would suggest really thinking about getting heads done since you are only as strong as your weakest link. A big cam is only good if you have the valvetrain and flow to support it. I would suggest some minor head work and the SE .536 cams. This combo has been solid and very proven around here. If you have a good 2-1 pipe and proper tuning this combo will def get you into the 90's on the horsepower side!

Life's short, stunt it!
Old 20th December 2009
Greasemonkey

2003 sporty baum is on a distinguished road2003 sporty baum is on a distinguished road2003 sporty baum is on a distinguished road

my bike is my daily driver i take it everywhere school, work,recreational mountain road and canyon riding here in so cal so i guess i need something mild for all types of driving highway/street and city/ open road
Old 21st December 2009
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 89
xlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura about

Keep the stock cams and look into a good exhaust.

What pipes do you have?

The pipes in your pic look to be basically straight pipes which aren't too good below 4000 RPM.

If you keep the 883 heads, consider the competition valve job from NRHS. That should gain you some good low end power for a relatively low price.

Check out Iwantmybeerbackplease dyno chart. Really good gains for not alot of $$$ while keeping the 883 heads.

Old 21st December 2009
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California EV
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
jharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with xlint89. Before you do cams you want a decent 2-1 exhaust system and some head work. I think your wasting your money on cams until you complete the two items above.

Read this link (Jesse knows his shit):

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...d.php?t=538885

Jim in Italy
'93 1200
4"Extended Jaybrake Forward Controls
Wide Wishbone Girder Front End
Super E Carb w/Forcewinder Air Cleaner
WetDreamz Pipes
Holographic Metal Flake Paint Job
Four Piston Jaybrake Calipers front & back
16" Carlini Apes
Old 21st December 2009
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XR-1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1984
jessearias is just really nicejessearias is just really nicejessearias is just really nicejessearias is just really nicejessearias is just really nicejessearias is just really nicejessearias is just really nicejessearias is just really nicejessearias is just really nicejessearias is just really nicejessearias is just really nice
Default depends

I agree with everyone that you need a good 2-1 exhaust first.

As for your heads, if you intend to keep them stock, a N4 would be the best cam. That will provide you with great all around power and torque. Perfect for the driving style you mentioned. I would just install HD valve springs and give the heads a good radious valve job.

Somebody on the NRHS dyno site made some pretty good HP w/ a 1250 kit and 883 heads using a 536 cams. I later found out that Dan "massaged" the heads a bit. So, the results a little misleading.

Before I would go spending 800 bucks to rework your 883 heads, I would invest in a set of 1200R heads. Your money is better spent with a superior set of heads. Price wise, about a wash. HP and torque wise, And, when coupled with the N4 cams, a superior all around crusing combo.

But, I would go with my first option. The most low buck approach that will give you your desired results. And, don't forget to install a programable ignition. That will bring the whole combination together.

2002 XL1200S "The Black Beauty" NRHS 1250 kit CI, NRHS Stage 1 TS heads dual plugged, NRHS Hurricane Air Filter, SE 536 cams, Rich Products Thunder header, 42 Mikuni, Daytona Twin Tec ignition w/ Dyna coils. 97.4 HP, 85.5 Torque 1984 XR-1000 S&S Crank/rods w/windage tray, Vision Grinding Cylinders, Arias 11:1 compression pistons, Andrews XR-1000-1 cams, Baisley modified dual plugged heads, Rich Products Thunder header, 38mm Delortos, Daytona Twin Tec ignition w/ Dyna coils. (the never ending project but, got a 66 Barracuda drag car sucking up all the funds and time)
Old 21st December 2009
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL50 0596 Black
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: E-Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
Bob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I agree with xlint89. Before you do cams you want a decent 2-1 exhaust system and some head work. I think your wasting your money on cams until you complete the two items above.
Power is limited by the things that limit it. You should have a "master plan" for your scoot. IMO this should be worked out by you and who ever is going to do your work or sell you you parts. My 2ó.

Sportys tend to keep getting faster the longer you own them.
Old 21st December 2009
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1250S
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
steelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessearias View Post
I agree with everyone that you need a good 2-1 exhaust first.

As for your heads, if you intend to keep them stock, a N4 would be the best cam. That will provide you with great all around power and torque. Perfect for the driving style you mentioned.
I agree on the N4 cams for all-round driveability with stock heads. And again, those pipes will not help in the low- to mid-range where you want to be most of the time. They do look good, though.
Old 21st December 2009
Greasemonkey

thanks everyone for your opinions they are all considered and appreciated!!!i plan on doing all the work myself then taking it to get dynod/tuned by someone else.my master plan originally was to keep everything the way it is exept the 1250 jugs some jetting and my hurricane filter set up thats already on.but after talking to people they've convinced me i need cams as well. now everyone is saying i need head work as well! i cant send my heads off anywhere because she is my only source of transportation and i ride every single day here in so cal rain or shine.and 2 into 1 just wont work with the look im going for with this bike i know im sacrificing power but ill deal with it. i guess my final question would be if im not changing exhaust or doing head work are cams even worth it?or should i stick to the original plan.but the jugs are going on tomorrow morning no matter what. thanks again for all help
Know Thy Hog