The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Get Lowered Sportster  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
wallylach (63), cob (60), decman (58), djhannu (52), Vaughn, irishhog (45), dangjalopy (41), earthoverdrive (36), edman87k5 (35), 79iron (32), mr_anti_chrome
Lickscycles
Motor Stage
Licks Holiday
DK Customs

Licks Holiday

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th December 2009
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH1200 sport
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
Checkflag will become famous soon enoughCheckflag will become famous soon enoughCheckflag will become famous soon enoughCheckflag will become famous soon enoughCheckflag will become famous soon enoughCheckflag will become famous soon enoughCheckflag will become famous soon enoughCheckflag will become famous soon enough
Default 1994 sportster 1200 owners, what is the STOCK part #?

The PO of my bike had the carb replaced supposedly with a
stock replacement. I have my doubts.

If any of you have a parts book or this bike in particular
could u please look up the part # for the factory carb for
me? I have the # from the one there now, but I want to
see first what the parts book says.

Thank you
Old 30th December 2009
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 XL converted to 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1994
94Sporty is a jewel in the rough94Sporty is a jewel in the rough94Sporty is a jewel in the rough94Sporty is a jewel in the rough94Sporty is a jewel in the rough94Sporty is a jewel in the rough94Sporty is a jewel in the rough94Sporty is a jewel in the rough94Sporty is a jewel in the rough94Sporty is a jewel in the rough94Sporty is a jewel in the rough

My parts book has 27486-92A for a Calif 1200, 27487-92 for a 49 state 1200,
27503-92A for all models HDI & Swiss, 27488-92A for Calif 883, and 27489-92 for 49 state 883. These are the only ones listed in the book. Hope this helps, Roger
Old 30th December 2009
Master Mechanic

Checkflag will become famous soon enoughCheckflag will become famous soon enoughCheckflag will become famous soon enoughCheckflag will become famous soon enoughCheckflag will become famous soon enoughCheckflag will become famous soon enoughCheckflag will become famous soon enoughCheckflag will become famous soon enough

Interesting, the carb on my bike is part # 27492-96. (no letter).
Now that I know what it should be, would u mind seeing where
my carb belongs?

Thank you for helping me unfold his mystery.
Old 30th December 2009
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH1200
Peg Scraper is a glorious beacon of lightPeg Scraper is a glorious beacon of lightPeg Scraper is a glorious beacon of lightPeg Scraper is a glorious beacon of lightPeg Scraper is a glorious beacon of lightPeg Scraper is a glorious beacon of lightPeg Scraper is a glorious beacon of lightPeg Scraper is a glorious beacon of lightPeg Scraper is a glorious beacon of lightPeg Scraper is a glorious beacon of lightPeg Scraper is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkflag View Post
Interesting, the carb on my bike is part # 27492-96. (no letter).
Now that I know what it should be, would u mind seeing where
my carb belongs?

Thank you for helping me unfold his mystery.
27492-96B Carburetor, 49 State, FXST/FLST/FLSTS
What I found on .

The letters after the numbers are just revisions.
The higher the letter the newer, more improvements it's had.

Wisconsin Riders
A collective area for get togethers, to needed help wrenching. even parts trading.
  • Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle. ~Author Unknown
  • Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window. ~Author Unknown
  • Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

Ol' Dirtbeard of the Hell's Beerguts MC
What's your Outlaw Biker name?
Old 30th December 2009
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

94Sporty is a jewel in the rough94Sporty is a jewel in the rough94Sporty is a jewel in the rough94Sporty is a jewel in the rough94Sporty is a jewel in the rough94Sporty is a jewel in the rough94Sporty is a jewel in the rough94Sporty is a jewel in the rough94Sporty is a jewel in the rough94Sporty is a jewel in the rough94Sporty is a jewel in the rough

I don't have books for the later years but can tell you the carb is from a 1996 or later bike. In 96 the went to a 42 pilot jet in all the model carbs and that would be why the different part number. The last 2 numbers in the part number tell you what year it came out. If there is a letter, it tells you that it was revised that year, A would be the first revision, B is the second and so on. Just for info, I was running a carb from a 1999 Big Twin on mine. The only difference in the carbs is the bracket that the throttle cables sit in, the needle, main jet, and pilot jet. You can take any Harley CV carb and put those parts for your bike in and it should work just fine. Roger
Know Thy Hog

Old 30th December 2009
Master Mechanic

Thanks guys. The Jets on mine are a 145 main, and a 50 pilot. I have another thread
going about the bad mileage I am getting (24mpg/avg).

These jets were on the bike when I got it.
Old 30th December 2009
Master Mechanic

So what's the difference between the sportster carburetor
and a carb from a FXST/FLST/FLSTS? Considering it's a carb
from a much larger bike engine, I would imagine that it us
designed to Feed the engine a larger amount of fuel right?

I might be in the market for a carb for my 94 xl 1200
from Any of you guys who have upgraded.
Old 31st December 2009
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

You shouldn't need a whole new carb. I was running a 99 Big Twin carb on my 883 converted to 1200 and got better then 40 mpg even when I was tuned on the rich side. The carb bodies are the same as far as I can tell, just the jetting and needle is different. Also the bracket that holds the throttle cables but they probably switched that when they changed your carb. If it still had the 50 pilot then they probably didn't rejet it for your 1200. Get yourself a 42 or 44 pilot jet and a stock needle or even better a N65C needle at your dealer and stick them in. That should improve your gas mileage. Also check out he jetting 101 sticky for final tuning. Roger
Old 31st December 2009
Master Mechanic

thanks Roger.. that was very helpful for me. I bought a few jets today, a 42 and a
45 pilot and the stock 170 main as prescribed by the factory manual for the 94 sportster
1200. I will get that N65C needle as you said and get all this together hopefully
tomorrow.

2 questions,
1. What advantage is it for getting that particular needle? Just curious.
2. the manual calls for a 45 jet as stock. Should I start there, or try the 42 first?
Old 31st December 2009
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH1200
Peg Scraper is a glorious beacon of lightPeg Scraper is a glorious beacon of lightPeg Scraper is a glorious beacon of lightPeg Scraper is a glorious beacon of lightPeg Scraper is a glorious beacon of lightPeg Scraper is a glorious beacon of lightPeg Scraper is a glorious beacon of lightPeg Scraper is a glorious beacon of lightPeg Scraper is a glorious beacon of lightPeg Scraper is a glorious beacon of lightPeg Scraper is a glorious beacon of light

Are you sure about that being a 45 slow?
My Factory Service Manual shows 40slow(all models), 170main(domestic), 185main(Calif.) and 160main(HDI/Swiss).

I believe the N65C needle has a different taper to it, a little more gradual.
Which starts to richen the mid range out earlier.

Look at the stickies in this section:
Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust

This will help with the needle:
CV Needle Drawings and Database

Then look in here for tuning info:
Carb Tuning (and Jetting) Sticky Index
Know Thy Hog