The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Cruiser Customizing  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Styles > Sportster Motorcycle Custom Finishing
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Custom Finishing Here is where you can discuss various ways of customizing your Sportster motorcycle or Buell motorcycle.

Members Birthdays
oldsporty1 (64), BIRD DOG (58), paris15 (56), thesmithiz (56), pajimmyjoe (55), chuckam (51), steve w (45), le_strike (38), Rubicon (32), r3db3ard3d (26)
Biltwell
Ironworks Magazine
Figure Machine
CV Performance

DK Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st January 2010
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlc 1200 sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
daggar rider is a name known to alldaggar rider is a name known to alldaggar rider is a name known to alldaggar rider is a name known to alldaggar rider is a name known to alldaggar rider is a name known to alldaggar rider is a name known to alldaggar rider is a name known to alldaggar rider is a name known to alldaggar rider is a name known to alldaggar rider is a name known to all
Default how to: twist square bar

i just found out how to do this a couple a days ago and thought i would share it. i'm sure alot folks on here already know how to do this and make it look far better. i had never tried forming metal before this so anyone can do it. I was always told i needed an oxygen acetylene torch but turns out thats not the case

all you need is a MAP gas torch, gloves, a vice, and an adjustable wrench...THATS IT!

ok so this is my dangerously horrible work space for a torch but i was carfull for all you safteytards out there,

take your square stock...

put it in your vice and measure up with the wrench, i do this first, before heating so when the stock is hot enough you can just throw it on and twist and not waste time while your stock is cooling.

start heating, its important to get the stock glowing, not just red but glowing red hot, i leave the torch in one spot till it starts to get red then bleed it out slowly so i have about an inch to an inch and a half of good red glow

while its still glowing put your wrench on it and turn the metal just like your turning a bolt, do this as strait as possible, if it bends a little, not a big deal just take it out of the vice and flip it around and straiten out the stock, as you can see in this first bend the twist came out good but i bent the rode

after straiting out, put it back in your vice and heat up and bend again

you can expierement with it, bend one way then the other, do half turns, quarter turns, or full turns to make any design you want

make cool designs or whatever ya want, i dig the look, like i said, these few pics are my first try at this so imagine what a little practice would result in

(don't mind the welds, i'll never show my welding skills on here, i'm into grinding haha)

Old 1st January 2010
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for posting, I'm gonna give it a try myself.
Old 1st January 2010
Greasemonkey

poormansharley is on a distinguished roadpoormansharley is on a distinguished road

thanks for the info im gonna try this out thanks again

poorman
Old 1st January 2010
Biker

jmcd is an unknown quantity at this point

be carefull not to get carried away!
Old 1st January 2010
Banned

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
AsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond repute

Thats what I call riding the twisties!
Know Thy Hog