The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Superbrace  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
jdhickm (79), Chip (66), Chief4x4 (64), willyobiker (62), CBryant (61), XLCH69 (58), sage (55), VettesRule (52), jerseyjeff (52), TheExecutioner (49), SalTheWop (49), manic_mechanic, pauldmedic16 (40), BluegrassXL (36), Superman
Motor Stage
DK Customs
Licks Cycles
Fix My Hog

CV Performance

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th May 2005
Biker

jpj2004xl1200r is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Guys...Need your input on this problem!

For those with 2004-2005 XL's:

How many of you have replaced the powder coated rocker box covers (on the 1200R), OR the polished covers (on the 883), with chrome covers? For those who did this, have you had any problems with oil leaks??

Here's why I ask...

For over a year I have had consistant problems with rocker cover oil leaks on my 2004 XL1200R. Right after I bought the bike I upgraded the stock powder coated covers with chrome and have had the bike to the dealer no less than five times to get the leak corrected...each time they replaced the gasket, and one time they "sanded down" the gasket surface on the rocker cover because they said it "wasn't flat". The last two gaskets have been the latest revision (P/N 17353-89B) which is supposed to correct oil leaks per a recent Service Bulletin (M1168).

Finally they asked me to reinstall the original powder coated covers and, when it didn't leak, I expected they would conclude that the chrome covers had some manufacturing defect, and give me replacements...

....but their incredible conclusion was that "you must match the cover finish with the same rocker box finish" (chrome-on-chrome, etc.) and they want ME to buy chrome rocker boxes.

So now I have two useless chrome covers (that they have ruined by sanding off the chrome finish on the gasket surface, which will allow peeling of the plating!)

I'm calling Customer Service in Milwaukee, but first I want to know if anyone else has had a similar experience, or has been given the same ridiculous advice from Tech Services.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

John

Last edited by jpj2004xl1200r; 17th May 2005 at 21:35..
Old 16th May 2005
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Geek is an unknown quantity at this point

That is freaking crazy! It's their problem not yours. I would definately call corporate on this. They sold you the the covers. If it was going to be a problem they should have told you. Then they essentially ruined them by grinding them down.

All I can say is make sure they pay for whatever needs to happen.
Old 16th May 2005
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: '92 883/1200
dwardy is on a distinguished roaddwardy is on a distinguished roaddwardy is on a distinguished roaddwardy is on a distinguished road

Try different gaskets. I hear the moco gaskets are shit.
Old 16th May 2005
Drag Race Champion

mountbkr has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwardy
Try different gaskets. I hear the moco gaskets are shit.
It should not leak and as Dwardy says try another source of gaskets also get your money back they should have replaced the covers if they were not flat ! go toanother dealer after you get a refund or find a non dealer to install them or do it your self....
Old 16th May 2005
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Other Motorcycle Model: from 64-2004 all kinds
GRAYFEATHER is an unknown quantity at this point

Should no leak my mate replaced his 7 months ago and no probs.

Grayfeather.

Old 16th May 2005
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883>1200 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHTCU
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
txsporty is on a distinguished roadtxsporty is on a distinguished roadtxsporty is on a distinguished roadtxsporty is on a distinguished roadtxsporty is on a distinguished road

Who is this Stuipid A Dealer????

Sounds Like they have sh for brains!!!!

I'd go back and get my money back then go do it my self!!!!
Old 16th May 2005
Keep On Keepin' On

Sportster/Buell Model: Pulled to the Darkside
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHTCI
Other Motorcycle Year: 2005
01Sporty is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by txsporty

Get 'em tx!

That response from stealers is all too common these days.

I keep hearing stories that the dealers are over-stocked with scooters, factory made too many etc., eventually that has a trickle-down effect and that attitude will change (OK, maybe that is wishful thinking).

Stick to your guns and give them a hard time - right back.

Good Luck,
Old 16th May 2005

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883
Other Motorcycle Model: Heritage Classic
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
DM-SC is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by txsporty

I'd go back and get my money back then go do it my self!!!!

I'm with Tx on this one! Damn, I hate it when a stealer (H-D or any other brand) pulls this crap!

2004 Heritage Classic - Ness Big Sucker, V&H Longshots, PCIIIUSB
Former Sporty Pilot...Now riding a "Road Sofa"
Old 16th May 2005
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Other Motorcycle Model: 2005 FXD Chopper Blue
barry1967 is an unknown quantity at this point

A chrome top cover should not effect the sealing properties of the gasket. As long as the two gasket surfaces are clean and flat you should have no leaks, period.
If one chrome cover leaks while mating to a non chrome cover then two chrome covers should leak even worse. Or so they seem to think.

Quote:
....but their incredible conclusion was that "you must match the cover finish with the same rocker box finish" (chrome-on-chrome, etc.) and they want ME to buy chrome rocker boxes.
Ask them if a chrome primary or cam case cover leaks against a non chrome engine case? and why not? Two different surfaces.

I think the dealership should give you two new covers to try since they screwed up the ones you have now.

Those gaskets will leak like a siv if the surfaces are not completely clean and new gaskets are used. The slightest amount of oil on them WILL cause them to slide and leak. Ask me how I know.
95 inch and more very soon.

Last edited by barry1967; 16th May 2005 at 13:12..
Old 16th May 2005

XLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpj2004xl1200r
For those with 2004-2005 XL's:

John
Sounds alot like my dealer. Talking BS in circles to make money. This should not make any difference at all. The two surfaces do not even touch each other because of the gasket. If they are machined the same like they should be there should be no problem. I just found out over the weekend that a guy I used to work with years ago got out of construction and now has an indy shop complete with dyno. I'll be dealing with him for now on. the stealers.
Know Thy Hog