The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Energy One Clutches  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up) For 2007 and above Sportsters

Members Birthdays
hardride1955 (59), 91Sportster (52), PSEBYL (51), Aussiegirl (44), FastMag (43)
DK Customs
Figure Machine
Fix My Hog
DK Customs

Superbrace.com

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th January 2010
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster 1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
nightsterfreak is on a distinguished roadnightsterfreak is on a distinguished roadnightsterfreak is on a distinguished roadnightsterfreak is on a distinguished roadnightsterfreak is on a distinguished road
Default How do you replace 09 Nightster Rear shock?

I am thinking about getting progressive 412's for my 09 Nightster, but I have no clue how to replace them. Is there a special tool I need? Do I need to take the rear tire off? Is there a trick? Any input anyone?....thanks
Old 19th January 2010
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Vassago is a glorious beacon of lightVassago is a glorious beacon of lightVassago is a glorious beacon of lightVassago is a glorious beacon of lightVassago is a glorious beacon of lightVassago is a glorious beacon of lightVassago is a glorious beacon of lightVassago is a glorious beacon of lightVassago is a glorious beacon of lightVassago is a glorious beacon of lightVassago is a glorious beacon of light

One side at a time you will need a T50 torx bit. if yu have a bike jack it would be easier.
Old 19th January 2010
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Hot Rod Sporty has much to be proud ofHot Rod Sporty has much to be proud ofHot Rod Sporty has much to be proud ofHot Rod Sporty has much to be proud ofHot Rod Sporty has much to be proud ofHot Rod Sporty has much to be proud ofHot Rod Sporty has much to be proud ofHot Rod Sporty has much to be proud ofHot Rod Sporty has much to be proud ofHot Rod Sporty has much to be proud ofHot Rod Sporty has much to be proud of

No you don't need to take the tire off. You will need a lift or something to hold the rear of the bike up, though. Then you just need a 50T torx bit and a box wrench to hold the bolt on the inside of the bottom mount. Get the weight off the rear end and unbolt your shocks. Make sure you keep up with where the washers/spacers go. If you go with shorter or longer shocks, you'll need to make some adjustments in the height of your bike or rear tire, so a lift is VERY useful when doing this. Another person there to help with the lifting/lowering is very useful, too.

And if you haven't heard this before, a factory service manual is the best investment you'll make in the bike.
Godspeed brother.

"I just love the 'mechanicalness' of it"
--Indian Larry Desmedt
Old 19th January 2010
Master Mechanic

nightsterfreak is on a distinguished roadnightsterfreak is on a distinguished roadnightsterfreak is on a distinguished roadnightsterfreak is on a distinguished roadnightsterfreak is on a distinguished road

I know this might sound cheap or ghetto....lol, but can i jack my bike up with a car jack if i stabilize it or should i quit being cheap?
Old 19th January 2010
Senior Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: None
Sportster/Buell Year: None
Kirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to all

The only thing I'd add is, I'm told it's a good idea to replace those lower lock nuts with new ones when doing this. They aren't expensive, and then, of course, use blue threadlocker on both upper and lower mounts.
Know Thy Hog

Old 19th January 2010
Master Mechanic

Thanks Kirk...I have been doing tons to my baby...speedo relocation, coil relocate, painting engine, headlight move, 2" tank lift...my next thing is move ECM and fuel pak, and replace shocks and seat...when I get done pics will be posted, hopefully next week!
Old 19th January 2010
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Tyberius is just really niceTyberius is just really niceTyberius is just really niceTyberius is just really niceTyberius is just really niceTyberius is just really niceTyberius is just really niceTyberius is just really niceTyberius is just really niceTyberius is just really niceTyberius is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightsterfreak View Post
I know this might sound cheap or ghetto....lol, but can i jack my bike up with a car jack if i stabilize it or should i quit being cheap?
If you want to be cheap, you can build a wooden lever bike jack using a 4x8 (or two 2x8s sandwiched together) and a length of iron pipe attached to a flange with the pipe passing through a drilled hole in the wood.

Search the internet or here for wooden motorcycle jack. I still use mine and I also have a lift.
08 883c commuter bike, mid-controls (including shift peg), superbrace, rifle roadster fairing w/ tall shield, national cycle hand deflectors, h-d front signal relocators, mustang wide touring w/driver's backrest, passenger pillion and passenger backrest, h-d throw-overs w/drag specialties supports, sissy bar, NRHS Hurricane Oil Filter, oil temp gauge, deltran battery tender plus, otc lift, HD Handlebar clip , HD garage door opener, WB hybrids
Old 19th January 2010
Master Mechanic

thanks tyberius...i will give it a shot, i hate being cheap, but the army doesnt pay me enough to have to get finer things
Old 19th January 2010
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200Lr
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell S3T
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2001
Other Motorcycle Model: Guzzi V7 / 11 Ducati M696
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
Bone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond repute

IF you are replacing with shocks of the same size or slightly smaller you probably don't need to jack it up at all. One trick is to change ONE side at a time and crank up the preload on the shock that is still attached to firmly hold the bike up (and crank down the preload on the shock you are installing).

IF you are replacing with shocks that are longer it will be easier if you can jack up the bike - YES, you should be able to use a floor jack, but only if you're REAL careful (an extra set of hands helps).

All in all it shouldn't take you more than 15-30 minutes.
Old 19th January 2010
Master Mechanic

bone, when u say preload, you mean the knob that turns to tighten or loose shocks? they should be fully extended right to take the load off? or am i backwards?
Know Thy Hog