The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum GL Sporster  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > REGIONAL FORUMS > United States of America > Great Plains > Kansas
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
wallylach (63), cob (60), decman (58), djhannu (52), Vaughn, irishhog (45), dangjalopy (41), earthoverdrive (36), edman87k5 (35), 79iron (32), mr_anti_chrome
Superbrace
Figure Machine
Zippers Performance
Hammer Performance

Get Lowered

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th July 2007
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
windycityblues is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Wichita

My wife is finally getting out of the Navy next spring and we're looking to move to Wichita as her and I were both military aircraft mechanics. I'm a sheetmetal guy and she's an engine mech. I'm going to night school right now for my A&P license. She's got family in KC but nobody seems to know much about Wichita. So what's the aircraft jobs look like there? Is there a bad part of town. I had read somewhere that Northside was the nicer part of the area, the Southwestern and Eastern sides were all pretty nice school districts. Any truth to this. Any info on where we should be looking? Any insider tips? We're a new family with 2 kids and it'll be our first home. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12th July 2007
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell Uly (sold)
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2009
Other Motorcycle Model: 2010 Ural Patrol(sold)
Phaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond repute

Bump......
Old 13th July 2007
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Rat Bastard
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CL175-Rot'n Bastard
Other Motorcycle Year: 1970
Scooter_Trash is just really niceScooter_Trash is just really niceScooter_Trash is just really niceScooter_Trash is just really niceScooter_Trash is just really niceScooter_Trash is just really niceScooter_Trash is just really niceScooter_Trash is just really niceScooter_Trash is just really niceScooter_Trash is just really niceScooter_Trash is just really nice

Wish I could help. I'm up in the KC area. The few times I've gone down there the North part of the city did seem better.
Old 13th July 2007
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLX
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1985
Other Motorcycle Model: Yamaha Vino 125
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
rfranz1952 is just really nicerfranz1952 is just really nicerfranz1952 is just really nicerfranz1952 is just really nicerfranz1952 is just really nicerfranz1952 is just really nicerfranz1952 is just really nicerfranz1952 is just really nicerfranz1952 is just really nicerfranz1952 is just really nicerfranz1952 is just really nice

I lived in Wichita in the late 70's; and have been within 100 miles of the City for most of my life--all 55 years.

Far Northeast, far west, and far east are also good (and pricey). Southeast not as good, and as you get in closer from any direction, you will find some of the more modest neighborhoods, although even these areas can be pretty mixed, with pockets of relatively good housing and higher wealth, mixed in with concentrations of smaller and older homes.

As with many cities, there are still concentrations of population based on ethnicity. When we lived there, we were in a relatively modest neighborhood with a diverse population.

Not a bad place to live, if you like Cities. Some burbs around, if you don't mind driving a bit. The "yuppie" burb is Derby, which is Southeast of the City, beyond McConnell AFB.

Wish you luck!
2005 XL 1200 Custom; NRHS 1250 Conversion, 10.5 - 1; Stage 2 Heads; SE 536 Cams; Jim's Hydrosolid lifters; NRHS adjustable pushrods; S&S Roller Rockers; Crankshaft by Darkhorse Crankworks; HurricaneFlow A/F; Hurricane Oil Filter; Mikuni HSR-42; S&S Intelligent Spark Technology Ignition; RB Racing LSR exhaust; Front and Rear Progressive Suspension; Oversize front tire; Superbrace Fork Brace; Speedway Microtach, lots of other bits and pieces.

THE $16,000 Sportster!
Old 13th July 2007
Greasemonkey

Thanks for the replies. I've heard of Derby. Also Augusta on the east side. I can't seem to remember anything on the west side. I think someone just told me that alot of the AFB families live out that way. Is there an area where most of the AC manufacturers are or are they kinda all over?
Know Thy Hog

Old 13th July 2007
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLX
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1985
Other Motorcycle Model: Yamaha Vino 125
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
rfranz1952 is just really nicerfranz1952 is just really nicerfranz1952 is just really nicerfranz1952 is just really nicerfranz1952 is just really nicerfranz1952 is just really nicerfranz1952 is just really nicerfranz1952 is just really nicerfranz1952 is just really nicerfranz1952 is just really nicerfranz1952 is just really nice

The AC manufacturer's are on the East/Southeast side. Rayteon is east, and Cessna (what was Cessna when I was there) and Boeing (not Boeing anymore) are Southeast. Learjet, I think was west. There are components/feeder companies all over town. I think a lot of Derby folks work at Boeing. Some other burbs I remember, besides Derby:

Haysville: Just West of Derby and S/SW Wichita. AS Derby's is the white collar/yuppie burb, Haysville's rep is blue collar/solid folks.

Goddard: Due west on Hiway 54.
Cheney: North of Goddard, furthur out
Maize: Northeast
Park City (former home of BTK) North on I-135
Newton: About 30 miles north. Solid Small community. Where I went to High School.
Andover (of Andover Tornado fame): Due East. Between Wichita and Augusta.
Eldorado: About 30 miles NE.

There are probably a half a dozen others. Colwich, Valley Center, Kechi. Benton, ranging in size from a few thousand to 25,000 or so for Derby.

Folks drive to work in the Aircraft industry from 1 1/2 hour (60 - 70 miles) or more out.

Topical Interest: Alef's HD is on the North Side, between Park City and Wichita. Brand new location within the last year.
Old 13th July 2007
Greasemonkey

So how's the riding there? I'd imagine you can't ride in the winter. I know western Kansas is flat and KC is hillly as all get out.

Is there a lot of work for the aircraft industry or is it hit or miss there too. It's just such a volatile market. Are there any companies that are known for letting people go any chance they get.

I wsa looking in El Dorado too. I think when I started looking at houses on the internet I focused on the east to northeast area cause my wifes family if from KC and the shorter we can make the trip for all parties involved the better.

Sorry if I'm bombarding you with questions. It's just a weird feeling planning on moving somewhere you know practically nothing about other than your prior work history seems to match the economy of the area.
Old 13th July 2007
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R 'Ms Lily'
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Carl-04XL is a jewel in the roughCarl-04XL is a jewel in the roughCarl-04XL is a jewel in the roughCarl-04XL is a jewel in the roughCarl-04XL is a jewel in the roughCarl-04XL is a jewel in the roughCarl-04XL is a jewel in the roughCarl-04XL is a jewel in the roughCarl-04XL is a jewel in the roughCarl-04XL is a jewel in the roughCarl-04XL is a jewel in the rough

I was stationed at McConnell from 90 to 92. I lived on S. Hydraulic in the apartment complex just south of E. MacArthur. A bunch of buildings dating from WWII. I could see Boeing (well, a little of the top of their buildings) from my apt. At the time, most of the residential road just to the west of Hydraulic were dirt. I used to take my Jeep on them to do a little urban 4-wheeling to keep the transfer case seals in good shape.

There was decent housing in all directions from McConnell. But, that was in the early 90's. Don't know about now, especially about kinds of neighborhoods.

What I do know is that Wichita, for that matter most of Kansas, is in tornado alley. I watched the Andover Tornado go from south of my apt complex and across the air force base. A little too close for me, as there were no shelters except the bottom of the stairwell, about 3 feet down in the ground in a wood framed building for gosh sakes.

As for opportunities in aviation, Boeing is the West side of the runway of McConnell AFB, Cessna had something off the North end of the runway and a quick 'Find Business' through google maps got these:

Quote:
Results 1-10 of about 1,261 for aircraft near Wichita, KS - Modify search
Categories: Aircraft Equip & Parts & Supls, Aircraft Mfrs

Midwest Corporate Aviation - more info ╗
3512 N Webb Rd, Wichita, KS
(316) 636-9700 - close call
Category: Aircraft Servicing & Maintenance

B & S Aircraft Parts & Accessories - more info ╗
1414 S Mosley St, Wichita, KS
(316) 264-2397 - close call

Kelly Manufacturing Company - more info ╗
555 S Topeka St, Wichita, KS
(316) 265-6868 - close call
Category: Aircraft Instruments

Wichita Mid-Continent Airport: Yingling Aircraft Inc - more info ╗
2010 S Airport Rd, Wichita, KS
(316) 943-3246 - close call

Wings Over Wichita - more info ╗
550 N Webb Rd, Wichita, KS
(316) 687-4999 - close call
Category: Aircraft Equipment Parts & Supplies

Boeing Co - more info ╗
3801 S Oliver St, Wichita, KS
(316) 526-2121 - close call
Category: Aircraft-Manufacturers

Midcontinent Instruments - more info ╗
9400 E 34th St N, Wichita, KS
(316) 630-0101 - close call
Category: Aircraft Equipment Parts & Supls-Mfrs

A E Petsche Co Inc - more info ╗
4545 W Harry St, Wichita, KS
(316) 943-9358 - close call
Category: Aircraft Equip & Parts & Supls

Electromech Technologies - more info ╗
2600 S Custer Ave, Wichita, KS
(316) 941-0400 - close call
Category: Aircraft Components-Manufacturers

Turbine Rotables - more info ╗
3414 W 29th St S, Wichita, KS
(316) 943-6100 - close call
Category: Aircraft Equipment Parts & Supls-Mfrs
Good luck on the move and ride safe.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 13th July 2007
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R 'Ms Lily'
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Carl-04XL is a jewel in the roughCarl-04XL is a jewel in the roughCarl-04XL is a jewel in the roughCarl-04XL is a jewel in the roughCarl-04XL is a jewel in the roughCarl-04XL is a jewel in the roughCarl-04XL is a jewel in the roughCarl-04XL is a jewel in the roughCarl-04XL is a jewel in the roughCarl-04XL is a jewel in the roughCarl-04XL is a jewel in the rough

Oh btw, if you are into darts, Wichita had a good league when I was there. I don't know if they still exist, but you never know. Just go to any bar and if they have boards hanging, ask about the league. Our team used to meet at Mary's on S. Hydraulic several times a month. (Mary's had some good fried mushrooms. )
Old 13th July 2007
Greasemonkey

Thanks Carl

Yeah Kansas is a threat for tornados for sure. "Tornado Alley" was still west of Wichita but with global warming and all that jazz anything is possible anywhere.

Google maps? I never tried that for searching for stuff. I actually just sent some fuel servos to that B&S for repair. Small world.
Know Thy Hog