The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Lickscycles  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical and Ignition
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
Figure Machine
Lowbrow Customs
Foxcreek Leather
Superbrace

Lowbrow Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th July 2007
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Repairing green wire to starter

The wire that runs from the starter relay to the starter has broken off from the connector at the starter. Can I remove the connector by using pliers and pulling out or is there some type of latch that I need to release. What is the best way to repair this connection. Any help would be appreciated.

Allen
Old 16th July 2007
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1987
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1991
Other Motorcycle Model: Sportster XLH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1995
Dakin Engineering has disabled reputation

It's a 90 deg spade connector. Match it to new one. Crimp. Solder. Heatshrink is optional, but beware of grounding.

Sam
Old 16th July 2007
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Dead Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
chrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nice

On a 2001, I think that is a straight white plastic (they also used black plastic) connector and there is indeed a little tab that you need to release on the top, to let it loose from the starter motor. I think Sam is right that it was a black 90 degree flag terminal, but they changed that around 1994 I think to this one with a little more positive engagement (it clicks in and does not fall out any more). If it's a straight connector (not a 90 degree black flag with the wire coming in the side), then there is a tab on the top that you depress with a tiny screwdriver then pull the connector out out of the starter motor mating connector.

If Gary is right and it's part of the starter motor, he has the right solution. I suspect though that the green wire just broke off or pulled out of the white plastic connector. Depress the tab, pull straight out on the connector, get a new connector (72291-94 I THINK), then cut off the corroded end of the green wire, strip back the insulation a little, and recrimp in the new connector.

If I am wrong, sorry for misleading you.

--Chris
Old 16th July 2007
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1987
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1991
Other Motorcycle Model: Sportster XLH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1995
Dakin Engineering has disabled reputation

My information is dated (1991). I just didn't imagine HD ever getting that fancy.

Sam
Old 20th July 2007
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point

Just wanted to say thank-you for the responses they were appreciated. I got it fixed. It was a connector.

Allen
Know Thy Hog

Old 22nd July 2007
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Dead Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
chrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakin Engineering View Post
My information is dated (1991). I just didn't imagine HD ever getting that fancy.

Sam
Yeah, me either. Stuff was the same for 15 years, then they started changing stuff almost every year, just like the metrics.

--Chris
Old 23rd July 2007
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
bw9 is on a distinguished roadbw9 is on a distinguished roadbw9 is on a distinguished road

Ahhh, I love a happy ending!!!

BW