The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Figure Machine  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
jojo, 5lv (66), BobbyB (60), BigBrotherWatching (52), black1200r (45), Jnomad72 (42), michigan113 (39), xl1200c (33)
Superbrace
Foxcreek Leather
Energy One Clutches
DK Customs

Fix My Hog

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th May 2005
Biker

studebakerman2001 has disabled reputation
Default Oiling question?

On my 70' XLCH is the oil shared between the motor and transmission? or is there seperate weight oils I should be using for each? And if they are shared do both run through the oil tank?

Thanks guys
Old 18th May 2005
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1970
Other Motorcycle Model: kAWASAKI
Other Motorcycle Year: 1979
tnichols is an unknown quantity at this point

Your 1970 XLCH has basicly two places to put oil... The engine (in the oil tank) and the primary/transmission. The primary and transmission share the same oil. When you put oil in the primary, you are also putting oil in the transmission.

You normally want to put the same oil (20w50) in both the engine and the prim/trans. This is because there is a oil transfer valve that will allow some oil from the prim/trans to go into the engine. This happens if you put too much oil in the prim/trans. Its a safety, so you can't overflow the prim/trans... The excess will just go in the engine and end up in your oil tank. Harley did not want too much oil in the prim/trans because of the dry clutch used in there untill 1971. Harley removed the oil transfer valve in 1977.

Some people remove and plug the oil transfer valve so they can run different oil in the prim/trans. And I guess it works for them. But I don't recommend it. I still have mine. I find it is very handy. I never have to check my oil in the prim/trans. Every now and then I just dump some in there... I know I can't overflow it.

Good Luck,

Last edited by tnichols; 18th May 2005 at 21:19..