The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum MOTOSPORT  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Lubrication and Lubricants
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Lubrication and Lubricants You guessed. Here is where everyone can argue over oil.

Members Birthdays
Burly
Energy One Clutches
Sky Smith Insurance
Fix My Hog

Superbrace.com

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th January 2010
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 C
Sportster/Buell Year: 09
Tater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to all
Question Is This HD#63813-90 Extra Long Oil Filter Best for My 09 xl1200 Sportster...???

I put this in another thread but got no answer so... These folks list it as an upgrade to the std. 63796-77A...

http://www.hmhd.com/webstore/viewite...pname=viewprod

I am thinking that this extra long 63813-90 filter may be better for my 09 xl1200 than the std. 63796-77A especially in the hotter summer months as it is,
free flowing and has more filter & cooling area and will let me use 3.0 qts. of oil... Having a larger sq. in filter paper surface should make it even more free flowing the std. 63796-77A shouldn't it...???
Am I all wet or does this seem a good go for to y'all...???
I mean I don't want to void my warranty either, know what I mean...???
Thanks and have a good one...Tater...
Viking Shock Cutout Saddlebags, Mustang Seat, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, SuperBrace...
Old 29th January 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Evolution
Sportster/Buell Year: 95
Other Motorcycle Model: Yamaha BT1100 Bulldog
Other Motorcycle Year: 2005
Hiyawaan is an unknown quantity at this point

I use the longer filter, I live in a hot climate and it is better for cooling.(I also use an oil radiator too). I dont know about the better flow though.
Old 29th January 2010
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW R1150R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
bigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to all

Tater, more oil can only help the motor, so I say go for it.

When we ask for advice, we are usually looking for an accomplice.
Marquis de la Grange (1639 - 1692)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 29th January 2010
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL 883/1200 conversion
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2001
Other Motorcycle Model: 2nd 01 XLC
Other Motorcycle Year: 2001
Graywolf has a brilliant futureGraywolf has a brilliant futureGraywolf has a brilliant futureGraywolf has a brilliant futureGraywolf has a brilliant futureGraywolf has a brilliant futureGraywolf has a brilliant futureGraywolf has a brilliant futureGraywolf has a brilliant futureGraywolf has a brilliant futureGraywolf has a brilliant future

I always use the long filter on the old Sportsters. More oil can't hurt a thing. It can only help. More filter area can't hurt either.
Old 29th January 2010
Drag Race Champion

Sorgy is a jewel in the roughSorgy is a jewel in the roughSorgy is a jewel in the roughSorgy is a jewel in the roughSorgy is a jewel in the roughSorgy is a jewel in the roughSorgy is a jewel in the roughSorgy is a jewel in the roughSorgy is a jewel in the roughSorgy is a jewel in the roughSorgy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater View Post
I put this in another thread but got no answer so... These folks list it as an upgrade to the std. 63796-77A...

I am thinking that this extra long 63813-90 filter may be better for my 09 xl1200 than the std. 63796-77A especially in the hotter summer months as it is,
free flowing and has more filter & cooling area and will let me use 3.0 qts. of oil... Having a larger sq. in filter paper surface should make it even more free flowing the std. 63796-77A shouldn't it...???
Am I all wet or does this seem a good go for to y'all...???
I mean I don't want to void my warranty either, know what I mean...???
Thanks and have a good one...Tater...
I might stand corrected but new models use a higher micron filter media with an anti flo back valve. None of which the filter you mention has. Later Sorgy
Know Thy Hog

Old 29th January 2010

Tater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLFREAK View Post
I might stand corrected but new models use a higher micron filter media with an anti flo back valve. None of which the filter you mention has. Later Sorgy
As I understand it is the same as our Std. filter 63796-77A @ 30 microns...
I don't believe those 5-10 micron rated filters apply to the Sportster oil Sys., which is high flow low pressure, but to the TC engines that are high pressure oil Sys., when compared to our Sportsters, could be my bad though...
Have a good one...Tater...
Old 29th January 2010
Drag Race Champion

Sorgy is a jewel in the roughSorgy is a jewel in the roughSorgy is a jewel in the roughSorgy is a jewel in the roughSorgy is a jewel in the roughSorgy is a jewel in the roughSorgy is a jewel in the roughSorgy is a jewel in the roughSorgy is a jewel in the roughSorgy is a jewel in the roughSorgy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater View Post
As I understand it is the same as our Std. filter 63796-77A @ 30 microns...
I don't believe those 5-10 micron rated filters apply to the Sportster oil Sys., which is high flow low pressure, but to the TC engines that are high pressure oil Sys., when compared to our Sportsters, could be my bad though...
I'm not saying the EVO filter won't fit but the dealer service dept's use the TC filter on all late models except V-Rods now. K&N applications show the TC filter KN-171 for rubbermount XL's now too. Later Sorgy
Old 30th January 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLFREAK View Post
I'm not saying the EVO filter won't fit but the dealer service dept's use the TC filter on all late models except V-Rods now. K&N applications show the TC filter KN-171 for rubbermount XL's now too. Later Sorgy
Sorgy, I'm just reading what the site says below that it is an upgrade to our Std. 63796-77A

Description
"Genuine OEM Stock Replacement Oil Filter.
Chrome. Fits all '99-later Twin Cam 88« and Evolution« 1340-equipped models and available as an upgrade for any motorcycle currently using P/N "63796-77A or 63805-80A. Made in the U.S.A.
Stock Chrome
"

Old 30th January 2010
Drag Race Champion

Hi Tater. Your post asked Is This HD#63813-90 Extra Long Oil Filter Best for My 09 xl1200 Sportster . There has been a longtime upgrade for 63813-90. That's a 20 year ago designed filter. Since 1999 we have been using 63731-99A
SuperPremium5™ Oil Filter For Twin Cam 88« Harley-Davidson« is taking the lead in the industry with this breakthrough filter. Fits all '99-later Twin Cam and Evolution models and available as an upgrade for any motorcycle that requires Oil Filter P/N 63796-77A, 63805-80A, 63812-90 or 63813-90. It's your choice, your money, your bike. I personally still use an EVO filter on my BT1340 but on everything else I use the TC filter. Later Sorgy.
Old 30th January 2010

Sorgy, I see what you are saying, also found the info on Adventure site...

63731-99A
Oil Filter - SUPERPREMIUM5™ Chrome . Utilizing advances in synthetic media technology, the Superpremium5™ Oil Filters are TESTED-CERTIFIED to provide filtration to retain dust, soot and other solid matter with low internal pressure relief and anti-drain back valves.
The Oil Filter is black.

63731-99A
Fits '99-later Twin Cam and Evolution" 1340-equipped models and as an upgrade for any motorcycle that requires Oil Filter PIN 69796-77A, 63805-80A, 63812-90 or 63813-90.

They sure know how to make things confusing, don't they...lol...

http://www.hmhd.com/webstore/viewite...?sku=63731-99A

Or in Chrome as 63798-99A

http://www.hmhd.com/webstore/viewite...&guide-bn=true

Know Thy Hog