The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Licks Tanklift  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Intake and Exhaust > Paying Taxes
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Paying Taxes Got questions, tips or advice???

Members Birthdays
DK Customs
Lowbrow Customs
Energy One Clutches
RYCA Motors

Lowbrow Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th July 2010
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1998 S= Superior Model
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
shotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond repute

This is a pretty good read
http://www.sportster.org/tech/basic-...rley-tax.shtml
he Harley Tax

L. Maurice Riggins - Jan, 1998

On a new bike, you need to pay "the Harley tax", that is, pay to make the bike the way it should come from the factory if it weren't for a Federal government trying to save us from ourselves. This requires you open up the intake, open up the exhaust, and rejet, not only to adjust for the first two changes, but to compensate for smog jetting as well. And on a factory 1200, if you intend to run it at high revs for max hp, you also need to get rid of the 5,200 rev limit in the stock ignition. There's a little more performance to be had on a nearly stock 1200 in this range at the expense of increased engine wear and tear... only a little if you keep it below about 6,000 rpm (no need to exceed that on a nearly stock 1200) and progressively more as you go up.
Old 6th July 2010
Joss

Sportster/Buell Model: sportsterR
Sportster/Buell Year: 2105
Other Motorcycle Model: 82 1000sz katana
Other Motorcycle Year: abov
Ireeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond repute

And then the is always my fee.
Old 7th July 2010
Joss

Sportster/Buell Model: sportsterR
Sportster/Buell Year: 2105
Other Motorcycle Model: 82 1000sz katana
Other Motorcycle Year: abov
Ireeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond repute

My job and has been for over 100 years is.....to shuffle stock owners to the "what if" realm......
of sleep. "if" i changed that. Well wouldn't that look good "if" i did this.
It always starts the same. I could make my ____better "if" i did that.

All i charge is just a little lost sleep, you know just when you need it.

When you picture what your bike could do in the 1/4 mile and look so sublime.I charge in advance, before you bought it remember?

Last edited by Ireeman; 7th July 2010 at 04:19..
Old 19th September 2010
Biker

Tobybear is an unknown quantity at this point

Often its called a Harley Tax. But I dont know why, as practically every person with a bike that Ive ever known either had complete intake to exhaust mods done to make their bike better than stock, or wanted to.
Old 19th September 2010
Known Troublemaker !

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 06
milmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant future

Making the Bike Run as it should, Not as the EPA dictated Harley to Make it run....
How to Check the Diaphragm! : Diaphragm_Test
REPLACING INTAKE/CARB SEALS:Replacing Intake Seals
MAINTENANCE INFO 04-06 : HANDY REFFERENCE

My futile attempt at Blogging: http://toolstolivewith.blogspot.com/

:
Know Thy Hog

Old 19th September 2010
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 L
Sportster/Buell Year: 08
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW R1200R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2011
GBag will become famous soon enoughGBag will become famous soon enoughGBag will become famous soon enoughGBag will become famous soon enoughGBag will become famous soon enoughGBag will become famous soon enough

I always thought HD taxes were pretty stiff....... Then I added a BMW to the stable this year At least with Harley you can always find a dealer nearby. If you break down on the BMW you will likely head to the nearest truck/ trailer rental place and have to haul the bike hundreds of miles to find a dealer.

I have changed risers on both the HD & the BMW. The risers & install at HD about $250. At BMW about $430.

Most of my riding gear has HD lables on it so some have given me crap about wearing it while on the BMW. The HD jacket that cost me $250 at Harley cost $600 at the BMW dealer.

Suddenly I find myself crying a little less about the cost of HD stuff
Progressive 418's, Progressive fork springs, Micro Tach +
Old 27th September 2010
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1200s
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
Other Motorcycle Model: Road King & (2) Bobbers
hidollartoys is on a distinguished roadhidollartoys is on a distinguished roadhidollartoys is on a distinguished road

If you have to ask "How much", you probably cant afford it.
Old 27th September 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
twolazy is on a distinguished roadtwolazy is on a distinguished roadtwolazy is on a distinguished roadtwolazy is on a distinguished road

Harley Taxes, it’s a brilliant marketing ploy. 1) Produce a good product with just enough stuff to make it desirable. 2) Produce lots of chrome goodies, and Harley name brand clothing line and miscellaneous accessories both for the rider, passenger and the bike itself all with a healthy markup.

Then, sit back and watch all the people empty their collective wallets purchasing just one more piece of chrome for their rides. Fill biker magazines with pictures of chromed Harleys and smile all the way to the bank.

Oh Lord, please let me be able to buy more chrome plated do-hicky!
Old 3rd December 2010
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XL-883 standard
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
adri is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by my1200 View Post
I thought it meant you got the pipes,a/c,jetted whatever. Basically paying more to have the bike the way it should have come from the factory.
sort of a tax...don't quote me lol.
That's what I always understood it to be even before arriving at this site.
Old 3rd December 2010
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 883N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Other Motorcycle Model: FLSTSI Heritage Springer
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
Clifton Custom is just really niceClifton Custom is just really niceClifton Custom is just really niceClifton Custom is just really niceClifton Custom is just really niceClifton Custom is just really niceClifton Custom is just really niceClifton Custom is just really niceClifton Custom is just really niceClifton Custom is just really niceClifton Custom is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBag View Post
I always thought HD taxes were pretty stiff....... Then I added a BMW to the stable this year At least with Harley you can always find a dealer nearby. If you break down on the BMW you will likely head to the nearest truck/ trailer rental place and have to haul the bike hundreds of miles to find a dealer.

I have changed risers on both the HD & the BMW. The risers & install at HD about $250. At BMW about $430.

Most of my riding gear has HD lables on it so some have given me crap about wearing it while on the BMW. The HD jacket that cost me $250 at Harley cost $600 at the BMW dealer.

Suddenly I find myself crying a little less about the cost of HD stuff
"HD" = Hundred Dollars
"BMW" = Bring My Wallet

Regarding taxes paid maybe it's an East Coast saying
I have heard that expression for at least 20 years as reference to changing the pipes, air cleaner and rejet (tuning).