The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Biltwell  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
seajay, Hugh Betcha (68), jimhd89 (65), JayFL459 (65), Big Al (58), dakota_dj (57), 10walt (55), kiltbill (55), timsvalk (54), horsewriter (49), Benetampa (37)
Biltwell
Licks Holiday
Lowbrow Customs
Biltwell

Energy One Clutches
Tags
banjo, brake, caliper, line, size

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th February 2010
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point
Default iron 883 front caliper banjo bolt size

Please help. I've looked everywhere and can't find this info. What is the size of the stock front caliper banjo bolt for an 09 iron 883?

I am installing some joker machine jx controls and they take a 10mm banjo bolt at the MC. I need to order some new brake lines to get the length I need and when I check the banjo bolt size at the front caliper, it seemed to be a 12 mm. Everything I have read said it should be a 10mm. They way I confirmed that it wasn't a 10mm was by seeing if the caliper bolt would fit in the 10mm MC - and it didn't. Hope this makes sense.

So at the moment it seems I need to order a 42" line with a 10mm straight banjo at the MC and a 12mm 40 degree bend at the caliper (I think it should be a 45 degree bend but cyclebrakes.com only offers a 40 degree or a 90 degree bend). Apparently this is just a weird combo so I want to make sure it will fit before purchasing.
Old 11th February 2010
Red Beard Cycles

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH-1208
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
ReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopfury View Post
Please help. I've looked everywhere and can't find this info. What is the size of the stock front caliper banjo bolt for an 09 iron 883?

I am installing some joker machine jx controls and they take a 10mm banjo bolt at the MC. I need to order some new brake lines to get the length I need and when I check the banjo bolt size at the front caliper, it seemed to be a 12 mm. Everything I have read said it should be a 10mm. They way I confirmed that it wasn't a 10mm was by seeing if the caliper bolt would fit in the 10mm MC - and it didn't. Hope this makes sense.

So at the moment it seems I need to order a 42" line with a 10mm straight banjo at the MC and a 12mm 40 degree bend at the caliper (I think it should be a 45 degree bend but cyclebrakes.com only offers a 40 degree or a 90 degree bend). Apparently this is just a weird combo so I want to make sure it will fit before purchasing.
Does the caliper bolt fit inside the banjo fitting for the MC ? I think they may be 10mm, but a different thread pitch. if it doesn't fit, instead of 12mm try 7/16ths.. May be a more common combination.

States I've Ridden in

71.3 hp 70.8 tq

1208cc 11.09:1 (Wiseco 10° Dome 10.5:1 .010 over) ,Screamin Eagle Dual Plug Heads (10° 61cc), Original SE A/C, Vance & Hines Straight Shots w/ Custom Baffles. SE 6800 ign, Dual BREMBO brakes/ Pirelli Night Dragon MU85-16 Rear - 100/90-19 Front. Progressive Springs & 412 HD 13½" Chrome Shocks, 5½" pullback riser w/ "reddtigger mount", Stebel Nautilus Compact Air horn, Mustang Vintage Super Wide Touring Seat, Alto Carbonite Clutch
Old 11th February 2010
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Other Motorcycle Model: Custom Rigid XL
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
billy bob is just really nicebilly bob is just really nicebilly bob is just really nicebilly bob is just really nicebilly bob is just really nicebilly bob is just really nicebilly bob is just really nicebilly bob is just really nicebilly bob is just really nicebilly bob is just really nicebilly bob is just really nice

12mm 04-up 883
Old 12th February 2010

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddTigger View Post
Does the caliper bolt fit inside the banjo fitting for the MC ?....
I'll try it when I get home. thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bob View Post
12mm 04-up 883
So you're saying it's 12mm for the caliper banjo bolt as well as the MC?
Old 12th February 2010

Got this out of the Goodridge catalog:

Harley Davidson
Up to 2004 Single front disc Harleys always use a 3/8 x 24 bolts for the caliper
and a 7/16 x 24 for the Master Cylinder. All Harleys with a dual disc front use
3/8 x 24 throughout the bike. From 2004 Harley use a combination of 10 x 1mm
and 12 x 1.5mm

Still doesn't help but at least it is something to start with.
Know Thy Hog

Old 12th February 2010

Sorry, one more post: the powersport rider.com catalog says that all 04-09 XL single front brake systems use 12mm x 1.25 for both the MC and the caliper. Looks like I was right, but would love to hear someone with more experience comment.
Old 12th February 2010

billy bob is just really nicebilly bob is just really nicebilly bob is just really nicebilly bob is just really nicebilly bob is just really nicebilly bob is just really nicebilly bob is just really nicebilly bob is just really nicebilly bob is just really nicebilly bob is just really nicebilly bob is just really nice

my answer was in response to the question you initially asked in your post. (banjo bolt size in a stock front caliper for 09 iron 883) - 12 mm

I looked at the joker machine site and I think you have it right. 42" brake line, 1-40 deg. 12mm banjo fitting, 1-12mm banjo bolt (caliper)

1- straight 10 mm banjo fitting, and 1- 10mm banjo bolt (joker machine mast. cyl.)
Old 12th February 2010

great, thanks a lot Billy!
Old 12th February 2010

By the way, nice looking hand controls. Good luck with the install.
Old 3rd March 2010

So in case anyone checks this thread out: the banjo bolt for both the caliper and the MC is 10mm...anyone need a custom magnum break line with 12mms on one end and 10mms on the other? Black pearl, 42".

Oh well lessoned learned.
Know Thy Hog