The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum RYCA Motors  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Hammer Performance
Energy One Clutches
Get Lowered
Lickscycles

Zippers Performance

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th June 2012
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 79
Other Motorcycle Model: Yamaha TX500
Other Motorcycle Year: 74
gungatim has a spectacular aura aboutgungatim has a spectacular aura aboutgungatim has a spectacular aura aboutgungatim has a spectacular aura aboutgungatim has a spectacular aura aboutgungatim has a spectacular aura aboutgungatim has a spectacular aura aboutgungatim has a spectacular aura about

the parts manual has the exploded view, from inside the case, on the kicker shaft the order is: Nut, Lockwasher, Gear, Engine case, Seal (square O-ring), washer, Thrust plate, then the sprlcket cover, spring, arm, etc.

PN for seal is 11101 for my '79 I can only assume they are same for most years but not sure. You can usually re-use the seal on the plug you removed from the kicker hole if it is not damaged.
Old 26th June 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
ppetersan is a jewel in the roughppetersan is a jewel in the roughppetersan is a jewel in the roughppetersan is a jewel in the roughppetersan is a jewel in the roughppetersan is a jewel in the roughppetersan is a jewel in the roughppetersan is a jewel in the roughppetersan is a jewel in the roughppetersan is a jewel in the roughppetersan is a jewel in the rough

What a great turorial. I am one of the people who have been if there is any information on this exact procedure. I have the same bike as well. I may be pm'ing you to ask questions when I get this going - but probably a winter project for me.
Old 29th June 2012
Drag Race Champion

Other Motorcycle Model: Sears/Gilera 106SS
Other Motorcycle Year: 196?
74_XLH_WINCHESTER_VA is just really nice74_XLH_WINCHESTER_VA is just really nice74_XLH_WINCHESTER_VA is just really nice74_XLH_WINCHESTER_VA is just really nice74_XLH_WINCHESTER_VA is just really nice74_XLH_WINCHESTER_VA is just really nice74_XLH_WINCHESTER_VA is just really nice74_XLH_WINCHESTER_VA is just really nice74_XLH_WINCHESTER_VA is just really nice74_XLH_WINCHESTER_VA is just really nice74_XLH_WINCHESTER_VA is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman74 View Post
12. Install the new Oil Seal on the back side of the case. This is a little tricky to get in, but I managed to get it installed using two long straight screw drivers and a little bit of patients. Just get one side in and work your way around.

Do you know the part number of this oil seal? When you say "back side of the case" do you mean that ths
seal is installed from the inside of the case? In picture 12 it is hard to see a seal

in picture 13 you show the shaft, the shim and another seal. Are there two seals? One at the inside of
the case and the one from picture 13 which is on the outside of the case.

Is there a source here on xlforum that shows the assembly and part numbers?

Thank you very much,
Mark
Quote:
"Do you know the part number of this oil seal?"
- I don't have my parts book in front of me at this time, so I am not sure of the part number for that oil seal.

Quote:
"When you say "back side of the case" do you mean that this seal is installed from the inside of the case? In picture 12 it is hard to see a seal."
- No, the seal is installed into the outside of the case through the pass through hole in the motor mount. The top picture in step 12 is the inside of the case looking through to the outside, you can see the lip of the seal just beyond the bronze bushing. The bottom picture in step 12 is the outside of the case looking through the pass through hole in the motor mount the black inside of the silver-looking ring is the oil seal.

Quote:
"In picture 13 you show the shaft, the shim and another seal. Are there two seals? One at the inside of the case and the one from picture 13 which is on the outside of the case."
- No, the photo in step 13 is to show order of installation. The oil seal is the same seal as installed in step 12 into the outside of the case, then comes the .007 shim, then the thrust plate, then the kicker shaft.

Quote:
"Is there a source here on xlforum that shows the assembly and part numbers?"
- I am not sure. This thread is my source for the assembly, and as for part numbers I can see if I can get that info for you or you can pick up a parts book online or at your local shop. The kit that I installed was a complete kit from J&P Cycles as said at the top of the very first post.

K.C.
Old 6th April 2013
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
shooterj2003 is a name known to allshooterj2003 is a name known to allshooterj2003 is a name known to allshooterj2003 is a name known to allshooterj2003 is a name known to allshooterj2003 is a name known to allshooterj2003 is a name known to allshooterj2003 is a name known to allshooterj2003 is a name known to allshooterj2003 is a name known to allshooterj2003 is a name known to all

I guess you feel secure with threaded fasteners over rivets? We're they screws of special type,eg,stainless,grade 8 etc. and I would guess locktite is used.I've alway's heard rivets were called for-I would not want even one screw backing out!
Old 6th April 2013
Endeavoring to Persevere

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1961
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Xl 883n
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2010
brianbbs67 has much to be proud ofbrianbbs67 has much to be proud ofbrianbbs67 has much to be proud ofbrianbbs67 has much to be proud ofbrianbbs67 has much to be proud ofbrianbbs67 has much to be proud ofbrianbbs67 has much to be proud ofbrianbbs67 has much to be proud ofbrianbbs67 has much to be proud ofbrianbbs67 has much to be proud ofbrianbbs67 has much to be proud of

Red lock tite and grade eight, I believe. I plan to do mine the same way. Gets rid of out of center slipping kicker for good. Well until everything else around it wears out.
Know Thy Hog

Old 9th March 2014
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1976
kelticdodge is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rachet plate to clutch shell

I read your post ,outstanding pictures,How much would you charge to replace a riveted rachet plate with screws ? I am new to this site and my computor skills suck like a vacum cleaner . You can email me at kelticdodge@aol.com Thanks,Tom.
Old 17th March 2014
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: IRONHEAD
Other Motorcycle Model: ROAD GLIDE
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
Twisted Nightster is an unknown quantity at this point

would welding up the kicker gear (rivet holes) to the back of the clutch plate work? Any thoughts on welding this then grinding if necessary to smooth flat instead of drilling holes? i just got a complete kit to install on my 74 xlch
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

ryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of light

Your masterlink clip is pointed the wrong direction....
Old 4 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Year: 1976
Other Motorcycle Model: Fatboy Lo
Other Motorcycle Year: 2011
dondoucette is a jewel in the roughdondoucette is a jewel in the roughdondoucette is a jewel in the roughdondoucette is a jewel in the roughdondoucette is a jewel in the roughdondoucette is a jewel in the roughdondoucette is a jewel in the roughdondoucette is a jewel in the roughdondoucette is a jewel in the roughdondoucette is a jewel in the roughdondoucette is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Nightster View Post
would welding up the kicker gear (rivet holes) to the back of the clutch plate work? Any thoughts on welding this then grinding if necessary to smooth flat instead of drilling holes? i just got a complete kit to install on my 74 xlch
I had mine drilled and tapped.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: IRONHEAD
Other Motorcycle Model: ROAD GLIDE
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
Twisted Nightster is an unknown quantity at this point

ok so i drilled the holes for the gear and taped for bolts. Got the primary back together minus the cover and i attempted to turn the kicker on the pedal side and there is no give on the kicker arm with a wrench. I am just trying to get it to turn just a little so that i can feel more comfortable before putting covers on. The Trans was in Neutral when i tried. Does this sound normal just after a new equipment installed kicker? they where new parts never installed on 74 xlch. thanks
Know Thy Hog