The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Get Lowered  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Seating and Luggage
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Seating and Luggage Here is where you post discussions about seating and luggage

Members Birthdays
Deathbreath (65), SpartanDen, B.C. TROLL (61), JDCIV (48), d_eggman2 (46), outalne94z71 (42), troy1 (41), chupacabra (40), pirate (40), Arslanoff
S&S Cycle
Lowbrow Customs
DK Customs
DK Customs

Superbrace

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th February 2010
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW R1150R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
bigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to all
Default Homemade rider backrest?

I'm curious if anybody has came up with a DIY backrest for the rider. Since I got my buckhorn bars, I really need a backrest! And I simply will not pay Mustang $500 for a the same seat I have with a backrest, that's highway robbery!!

Anyways, I got some ideas I'm going to try to draw up and begin the experimentation process.

When we ask for advice, we are usually looking for an accomplice.
Marquis de la Grange (1639 - 1692)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 17th February 2010
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 S/ sold
Sportster/Buell Year: 1996
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki M109R/ totaled
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
wilkin4 has a brilliant futurewilkin4 has a brilliant futurewilkin4 has a brilliant futurewilkin4 has a brilliant futurewilkin4 has a brilliant futurewilkin4 has a brilliant futurewilkin4 has a brilliant futurewilkin4 has a brilliant futurewilkin4 has a brilliant futurewilkin4 has a brilliant futurewilkin4 has a brilliant future

I am in the same boat. I have a Mustang Vintage solo and would like a back rest also, and I don't have $500 laying around. Be interesting to see what you come up with.
Old 17th February 2010

bigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to all

I can make the backrest, but my problem is where to mount the support bracket. Our seats only have 1 screw so even if I braced it off that, it would wiggle. Then there's the shock tower bolts, but I don't think that will look right.

I'm thinking of a bracket that mounts to the underneath of the seat (or over the ECM) and uses the rear mounting screw just to hold it in place (and more support).
Old 17th February 2010
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 S/ sold
Sportster/Buell Year: 1996
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki M109R/ totaled
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
wilkin4 has a brilliant futurewilkin4 has a brilliant futurewilkin4 has a brilliant futurewilkin4 has a brilliant futurewilkin4 has a brilliant futurewilkin4 has a brilliant futurewilkin4 has a brilliant futurewilkin4 has a brilliant futurewilkin4 has a brilliant futurewilkin4 has a brilliant futurewilkin4 has a brilliant future

My Sport is older and not quite the same as yours.

But this site looks like what we need but not sure what their prices are, may give you some ideas.

http://www.protac.net/index.html
Old 18th February 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
ldzeppelin is just really niceldzeppelin is just really niceldzeppelin is just really niceldzeppelin is just really niceldzeppelin is just really niceldzeppelin is just really niceldzeppelin is just really niceldzeppelin is just really niceldzeppelin is just really niceldzeppelin is just really niceldzeppelin is just really nice

I was just going to suggest those. Remember seeing them on ebay a few years ago.
Know Thy Hog

Old 18th February 2010
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1992
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHRSI
TonyC is a glorious beacon of lightTonyC is a glorious beacon of lightTonyC is a glorious beacon of lightTonyC is a glorious beacon of lightTonyC is a glorious beacon of lightTonyC is a glorious beacon of lightTonyC is a glorious beacon of lightTonyC is a glorious beacon of lightTonyC is a glorious beacon of lightTonyC is a glorious beacon of lightTonyC is a glorious beacon of light

There is a older thread on here about a few people who made rider backrests. I'll see if I can dig it it.
Old 18th February 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyC View Post
There is a older thread on here about a few people who made rider backrests. I'll see if I can dig it it.
I remember reading those, however the search has never worked for me since it searches posts and not thread titles.
Old 18th February 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkin4 View Post
My Sport is older and not quite the same as yours.

But this site looks like what we need but not sure what their prices are, may give you some ideas.

http://www.protac.net/index.html
I've seen those too, but they aren't available for 04+ Sportsters.
Old 18th February 2010
チェッカー

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883L/1200L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Baphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond repute

I've never given this idea any thought, but I noticed when I put on my Mustang solo that if I were to put my sissy bar brackets on backward it would put the sissy bar right at my back ... only at an impossible angle. The point being, it might be possible to fab up something from some ridged sissy bar mounts.

Hey just a thought ...
Old 18th February 2010
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

semjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to all

On this page they list 04 to Present:

http://www.protac.net/page7/page1/models.html

SEMJPM
Know Thy Hog