The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum S&S Cycle  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE & BUELL MOTORCYCLE FORUM - GENERAL DISCUSSION > DYNO Charts and Result
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

DYNO Charts and Result Post your dyno charts and results here.

Members Birthdays
Bison Motorsports
Energy One Clutches
DK Customs
BIKE BUILDER

Dead Creek Cycles

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th July 2007
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200XLC
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
maddhatter777 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default $250 for Dyno Custom Tune Worth It?

The closest dyno is about an hour away. Is it worth the $250 get it tuned? I know it is the going rate but it just seems a bit much. All they are doing is properly jetting the carb right?
Old 24th July 2007
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: Honda CBR 929RR
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
blakjak has a spectacular aura aboutblakjak has a spectacular aura aboutblakjak has a spectacular aura aboutblakjak has a spectacular aura aboutblakjak has a spectacular aura aboutblakjak has a spectacular aura aboutblakjak has a spectacular aura aboutblakjak has a spectacular aura aboutblakjak has a spectacular aura aboutblakjak has a spectacular aura aboutblakjak has a spectacular aura about

That and timing so that the bike runs properly throughout the whole RPM range.

IMO - if you've got a built engine/conversion, it's worth the money. If you're running all stock or a stage 1, save your money and do it yourself. You can get it really close with a little time and tuning on your part.
Old 24th July 2007
Biker

All I have is a set of troublemakers and a SE air cleaner. Nothing special. So I'll do it myself..... Thanks for saving me some money!!!
Old 24th July 2007
Senior Chief Know It All 3rd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell xb12r
Sportster/Buell Year #2: '09
CT1200 is a jewel in the roughCT1200 is a jewel in the roughCT1200 is a jewel in the roughCT1200 is a jewel in the roughCT1200 is a jewel in the roughCT1200 is a jewel in the roughCT1200 is a jewel in the roughCT1200 is a jewel in the roughCT1200 is a jewel in the roughCT1200 is a jewel in the roughCT1200 is a jewel in the rough

Well step one is to do a few pulls to get a base line.
Then adjust the carb as needed.
Do a few more pulls to see results.
Then readjust. Repeat as needed.
It could take them a good 2hrs to do, it could take 4hrs...
Plus parts, and what not. There not just jetting the carb.
If they are then your getting screwed. I'd stick around and watch if you could, its fun to watch your bike on the dyno. Depending on how you ride it though you might think they are trying to blow it up.

Keep an eye on the road... Theres always something to see.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 26th July 2007
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XR-1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1984
jessearias is just really nicejessearias is just really nicejessearias is just really nicejessearias is just really nicejessearias is just really nicejessearias is just really nicejessearias is just really nicejessearias is just really nicejessearias is just really nicejessearias is just really nicejessearias is just really nice
Default let's put it this way

As noted in a post in the NRHS section, at the NRHS 4th party, Aaron tuned Phelan's bike for 7 more HP (phelans bike is a stock 1200S with stage 1 mods) and tuned another guys 98HP 88 inch bike for another 18HP! NRHS charges about 250 bucks +/- for a dyno tune. The tunes were on the house by the way, but even if they paid for them, the results were more than worth it.

A good quality dyno tune is going to cost you about 200-300 bucks but, if they are good tuners, they can extract a lot of hidden HP as shown in the examples above. Money well spent in my opinion no matter how stock or modifed your bike is.

2002 XL1200S "The Black Beauty" NRHS 1250 kit CI, NRHS Stage 1 TS heads dual plugged, NRHS Hurricane Air Filter, SE 536 cams, Rich Products Thunder header, 42 Mikuni, Daytona Twin Tec ignition w/ Dyna coils. 97.4 HP, 85.5 Torque 1984 XR-1000 S&S Crank/rods w/windage tray, Vision Grinding Cylinders, Arias 11:1 compression pistons, Andrews XR-1000-1 cams, Baisley modified dual plugged heads, Rich Products Thunder header, 38mm Delortos, Daytona Twin Tec ignition w/ Dyna coils. (the never ending project but, got a 66 Barracuda drag car sucking up all the funds and time)
Know Thy Hog

Old 27th July 2007
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Other Motorcycle Model: Softail Deuce
Other Motorcycle Year: 05
flibuoy has disabled reputation

Best $ spent...horsepower gain, rideability and insuring engine is not harming itself. My FI Deuce Stage I gained 11 HP and 16# torque....AND ....it was running great going into dyno. The tuner is way important to be satisfied with results...the dyno doesn't tweak it...the tuner does with help of OBJECTIVE dyno. The gains shown above are about twice what the parts alone added with a decent running tune...for about 20% of total cost. Throttle respose, mileage etc are ALL improved. And no I don't sell dynos...oh the 1200C is Stage I carbed and dynoed and runs right with the Deuce. John
Old 27th July 2007
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 05
CBAS5 has much to be proud ofCBAS5 has much to be proud ofCBAS5 has much to be proud ofCBAS5 has much to be proud ofCBAS5 has much to be proud ofCBAS5 has much to be proud ofCBAS5 has much to be proud ofCBAS5 has much to be proud ofCBAS5 has much to be proud ofCBAS5 has much to be proud ofCBAS5 has much to be proud of

If you don't plan to do anymore engine work, then $250 might be worth it if the tuner is really good. Otherwise you end up paying a lot of money for nothing. It's all about the tuner and his skill. If you plan to do more engine work, then I would get it done and have it tuned. That way it will be $250 worth of tuning instead of $500. It's only a waste of money if the tuner sucks.
Old 27th July 2007
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883H/1200H
Sportster/Buell Year: '96
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH 1000 w/elec. leg too
Sportster/Buell Year #2: '72
sportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant future

I saw Dr. Dyno tune a bike for $300.00, and he added lollipop tuners to the shotgun pipes + rejetted the S&S carb. It started too rich with a torque dip 2500-4000 RPM, but left spot on AFR-wise with better low end torque.
Political Correctness never killed any terrorists.
Old 29th July 2007
Biker

Well I found out today my local dealer has a dyno. Good chance I'll be scheduling an appointment with them. $60/hr average 2-4hrs. Guys are "schooled" (dyno college) so it should be worth the cash. The only issue now is to think about adding any parts so I don't have to do it more than once!!! haha.
Old 29th July 2007
Red Beard Cycles

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH-1208
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
ReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddhatter777 View Post
Well I found out today my local dealer has a dyno. Good chance I'll be scheduling an appointment with them. $60/hr average 2-4hrs. Guys are "schooled" (dyno college) so it should be worth the cash. The only issue now is to think about adding any parts so I don't have to do it more than once!!! haha.
Another thing to do is ask questions. BEFORe they tune, Find out exactly what you're going to be getting. Find out what they plan on doing, ie how many warm up pulls? where do they start the baseline for the chart? how many pulls after changes?

Have some idea as to whats going to be happening to your bike...

Otherwise you can just look at em and say. "uhokay!" when they tell you your bike needs this that and the other thing. (ie dynojet, yost, new carb, ecu, etc.)

States I've Ridden in

71.3 hp 70.8 tq

1208cc 11.09:1 (Wiseco 10° Dome 10.5:1 .010 over) ,Screamin Eagle Dual Plug Heads (10° 61cc), Original SE A/C, Vance & Hines Straight Shots w/ Custom Baffles. SE 6800 ign, Dual BREMBO brakes/ Pirelli Night Dragon MU85-16 Rear - 100/90-19 Front. Progressive Springs & 412 HD 13½" Chrome Shocks, 5½" pullback riser w/ "reddtigger mount", Stebel Nautilus Compact Air horn, Mustang Vintage Super Wide Touring Seat, Alto Carbonite Clutch
Know Thy Hog