The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum RYCA MOTORS  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Frame Mount EVO Sportster Talk (1986-2003 models)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
Cherrylady2 (58), kkbii (51), Cholo, Quebeker, poboy_27 (43), jay 21 (41), Matt-04-883 (40), timhypo (39), harleybuell2000 (38), Biker-Dale (36)
Superbrace
Energy One Clutches
Motor Stage
Zippers Performance

Figure Machine

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th July 2007
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1990
Other Motorcycle Model: triumph,bsa, bmw, yamaha,
Other Motorcycle Year: 1957
HacksawsGarage will become famous soon enoughHacksawsGarage will become famous soon enoughHacksawsGarage will become famous soon enoughHacksawsGarage will become famous soon enoughHacksawsGarage will become famous soon enoughHacksawsGarage will become famous soon enoughHacksawsGarage will become famous soon enough
Default fork gaiters on a 1990 883 non hugger? anyone do this?

i have seen folks with later sportsters try nightster gaiters, i have seen some gaiters on extended front ends, but how about stock older evo sporties?

anyone got a comment or two?

thanks.
Old 27th July 2007
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: One Off
Sportster/Buell Year: '95
Other Motorcycle Model: Electra Glide Classic
Other Motorcycle Year: '03
Johnny Wolf is a splendid one to beholdJohnny Wolf is a splendid one to beholdJohnny Wolf is a splendid one to beholdJohnny Wolf is a splendid one to beholdJohnny Wolf is a splendid one to beholdJohnny Wolf is a splendid one to beholdJohnny Wolf is a splendid one to beholdJohnny Wolf is a splendid one to beholdJohnny Wolf is a splendid one to beholdJohnny Wolf is a splendid one to beholdJohnny Wolf is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by HacksawsGarage View Post
i have seen folks with later sportsters try nightster gaiters, i have seen some gaiters on extended front ends, but how about stock older evo sporties?

anyone got a comment or two?

thanks.
I believe the '90's have the same forks as mine...???
Old 29th July 2007
Know It All

HacksawsGarage will become famous soon enoughHacksawsGarage will become famous soon enoughHacksawsGarage will become famous soon enoughHacksawsGarage will become famous soon enoughHacksawsGarage will become famous soon enoughHacksawsGarage will become famous soon enoughHacksawsGarage will become famous soon enough

YA WOLF, i beleive they are, and i have seen yours. i havent been able to tell how you attached them because of the black sliders. despite click to enlarge , i just cant tell how the boot is pulled over the seal cover or what.

whats the details?
Old 29th July 2007
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
atasty39 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have installed Nightster gaitors on my Sporty. If I still had it lowered 2 " there would be no gap and it would look like the Nightster. It is lowered 1" and there is about an inch gap on the fork tube between the top of the rubber and the triple tree. It's not too noticeable, or maybe I'm just trying to fool myself. The rubber fits fairly tightly around the fork tube at the top. At the bottom, I had to remove the chrome ring that covers/protects the rubber seal at the top of the fork slider tube so the gaiter would slip over the end of the tube and stay in place. It works fairly well. I check the gaiters every so often to make sure they are still over the end of the fork tube slider and pull them down as necessary.
Old 29th July 2007
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883-1250
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
Other Motorcycle Model: 600cc CBR
Other Motorcycle Year: 1987
Weo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to all

OK, so I don't have stock length forks.

I use black zip ties to secure mine, but they are sized correctly for my forks and lowers.

Old 29th July 2007
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: One Off
Sportster/Buell Year: '95
Other Motorcycle Model: Electra Glide Classic
Other Motorcycle Year: '03
Johnny Wolf is a splendid one to beholdJohnny Wolf is a splendid one to beholdJohnny Wolf is a splendid one to beholdJohnny Wolf is a splendid one to beholdJohnny Wolf is a splendid one to beholdJohnny Wolf is a splendid one to beholdJohnny Wolf is a splendid one to beholdJohnny Wolf is a splendid one to beholdJohnny Wolf is a splendid one to beholdJohnny Wolf is a splendid one to beholdJohnny Wolf is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by atasty39 View Post
I have installed Nightster gaitors on my Sporty. If I still had it lowered 2 " there would be no gap and it would look like the Nightster. It is lowered 1" and there is about an inch gap on the fork tube between the top of the rubber and the triple tree. It's not too noticeable, or maybe I'm just trying to fool myself. The rubber fits fairly tightly around the fork tube at the top. At the bottom, I had to remove the chrome ring that covers/protects the rubber seal at the top of the fork slider tube so the gaiter would slip over the end of the tube and stay in place. It works fairly well. I check the gaiters every so often to make sure they are still over the end of the fork tube slider and pull them down as necessary.
They come with black zip ties that attach on the top side. The bottom of the gaiter is larger and just slides over the top of the slider.

Hope that clears it up...???
Old 30th July 2007
Know It All

thank you!
Old 30th July 2007
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
atasty39 is an unknown quantity at this point

Johnny Wolf,

Thanks for letting me know about the zip tie! I will try it and see if it makes a difference.
Old 1st August 2007
Know It All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weo View Post
OK, so I don't have stock length forks.

I use black zip ties to secure mine, but they are sized correctly for my forks and lowers.
how did you go about sizing them?
Old 30th September 2007
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
aussiesport has disabled reputation

hey hawgsaw i have honda postie bike gaiters on mine ..they were dirt cheap but they sit in the top part of the fork and just float on the bottom i have about 3 turns of electrical tape (leky tape here in oz) around the top inside the gaiter to hold it up and have never had problem with them >> will try and post a pik