The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Burly  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up) For 2007 and above Sportsters

Members Birthdays
stevervp, philvet (71), outlawreb (59), rabes56 (58), Bigmatt (56), Beaker666 (50), hippiemwc (50), wumm883c (48), 2wheeltodd (47), israel (42), Stitch (37), Dekooy (31), Ameri-Deutsch (30)
Speedway Instruments
S&S Cycle
Motor Stage
Biltwell

883 Sportster

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th February 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
DesertHog is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Throttle idle problem (Newbie)

Hi all; I've encountered a throttle problem with my '08 XL1200C. After riding for 45mins or so, or until the engine is hot, the engine won't return to idle on closing the throttle. The throttle grip itself snaps closed OK but the motor continues to run at high revs. Once I get stopped, say at traffic signals, after 30-45 seconds the idle speed will reduce to normal. Also if I hit the kill switch and then immediately re-start, the engine will re-start at normal idle revs.
I've tried adjusting the throttle cable adjusters, which seems to help a little, but because the problem can't be replicated at a standstill it's proving a real PITA to sort. Dealership can't find a fault code anywhere either.
Any advice or suggestions would be most welcome.
Old 25th February 2010
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
FoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to behold

I understand this to be fairly common on some EFI Sportsters. Do a search using the Google search at the bottom of the page and you should find other posts on this.

I had an '05 1200R.
Old 25th February 2010
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California EV
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
jharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxsterUK View Post
I understand this to be fairly common on some EFI Sportsters. Do a search using the Google search at the bottom of the page and you should find other posts on this.
Have you tried using the Google search function lately. You get everything but, what your looking for. Boolean operators don't work so you end up getting everything. Might as well page thru the appropriate forum.

Jim in Italy
'93 1200
4"Extended Jaybrake Forward Controls
Wide Wishbone Girder Front End
Super E Carb w/Forcewinder Air Cleaner
WetDreamz Pipes
Holographic Metal Flake Paint Job
Four Piston Jaybrake Calipers front & back
16" Carlini Apes
Old 25th February 2010
Biker

Quote:
I did search this and other forums before posting and found a number of threads relating to throttle and cable adjustments on carbed models, but nothing related to these symptoms. Will keep looking. Thanks for the reply.
Old 25th February 2010
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL50 0596 Black
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: E-Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
Bob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to behold

Video the problem to document it. The dealer should be able to duplicate the problem with a test ride. If all else fails, Harley Davidson Customer Service 414-343-4056.

Sportys tend to keep getting faster the longer you own them.
Know Thy Hog

Old 25th February 2010
Rider Of Motorcycles

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883L/1200L
Baphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertHog View Post
Hi all; I've encountered a throttle problem with my '08 XL1200C. After riding for 45mins or so, or until the engine is hot, the engine won't return to idle on closing the throttle. The throttle grip itself snaps closed OK but the motor continues to run at high revs. Once I get stopped, say at traffic signals, after 30-45 seconds the idle speed will reduce to normal. Also if I hit the kill switch and then immediately re-start, the engine will re-start at normal idle revs.
I've tried adjusting the throttle cable adjusters, which seems to help a little, but because the problem can't be replicated at a standstill it's proving a real PITA to sort. Dealership can't find a fault code anywhere either.
Any advice or suggestions would be most welcome.
On another forum I frequent a guy has an 08 Ultra that did the high idle thing and said he did a reset with the ignition (cycle on off 4 times then start) and the idle was no problem after that.

I am not suggesting that this will solve your issue, but it does point to a glitch in the ECM software which there might be a fix for by now. Perhaps your dealership doesn't keep on top of tech bulletins, or maybe there isn't a tech bulletin. In either case, since the problem doesn't seem to be mechanical I would go on the assumption that it is ECM related.
Old 25th February 2010

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200Lr
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell S3T
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2001
Other Motorcycle Model: Guzzi V7 / 11 Ducati M696
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
Bone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Not really, MOST idle complaints on EFI bikes (stumbling or running a bit high) has to do with cold startup.

This might be the first I've heard that is definitely when the motor is fully warmed.

My guess?

IF shutting it down and restarting didn't fix it I would say it COULD possibly be mechanical (say a vacuum leak that becomes more pronounced when it heats up to a certain point).

BUT because shutting it down and restarting makes it go away it's electrical.

Either a problem with the idle speed control logic OR possibly with the idle speed control valve itself.
Old 25th February 2010
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
Not really, MOST idle complaints on EFI bikes (stumbling or running a bit high) has to do with cold startup.

This might be the first I've heard that is definitely when the motor is fully warmed.

My guess?

IF shutting it down and restarting didn't fix it I would say it COULD possibly be mechanical (say a vacuum leak that becomes more pronounced when it heats up to a certain point).

BUT because shutting it down and restarting makes it go away it's electrical.

Either a problem with the idle speed control logic OR possibly with the idle speed control valve itself.
Bone - I had the same thoughts regarding it being electrical in nature, thanks for confirming. It's due a service shortly so I think it will be in to the dealership and ask them to look at it again and take it for a TR if neccessary so they can witness the fault first hand.
Thanks everyone for your thoughts and suggestions.
Old 25th February 2010
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Honda CM400T
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1980
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
Other Motorcycle Year: 1982
byidesign is on a distinguished roadbyidesign is on a distinguished roadbyidesign is on a distinguished roadbyidesign is on a distinguished roadbyidesign is on a distinguished road

Go to the Forums for EFI/engine codes...and download the {how to} for engine diagnostics...then pull the codes from the scoots ECM .It sounds like you will find the "P0505"{loss of idle control} or IAC {idle air control,actuator} error code in the code storage..it is a warranty replacement ..just read the codes {don't reset} that way you can prove it has a problem to your dealer..
{see "how diag codes work" }posted in this forum
hope it helps
Bruce
Old 25th February 2010

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200Lr
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell S3T
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2001
Other Motorcycle Model: Guzzi V7 / 11 Ducati M696
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
Bone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by byidesign View Post
Go to the Forums for EFI/engine codes...and download the {how to} for engine diagnostics...then pull the codes from the scoots ECM .It sounds like you will find the "P0505"{loss of idle control} or IAC {idle air control,actuator} error code in the code storage..it is a warranty replacement ..just read the codes {don't reset} that way you can prove it has a problem to your dealer..
{see "how diag codes work" }posted in this forum
hope it helps
Bruce
I agree it's a good idea to check codes himself.

But FYI, in the original post he said the dealer checked and found none.

Not that I trust the dealer necessarily.

IF the OP does check and finds a code, take a pic with a digital camera in case they deny it again...
Know Thy Hog