The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum GL Sporster  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Styles > Chopper & Bobber Talk
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Chopper & Bobber Talk Talk about your Sportster motorcycle chopper or bobber!!.

Members Birthdays
Nightrider, jim wiseman (63), gone2dalake (61), bobzimm (58), JMan (47), csaintg (45), tinydawg (43), B.Curvin (43), eskiv (34), 05bluesportster (33), joka646 (30)
Superbrace
RYCA Motors
Hammer Performance
Licks Holiday

Energy One Clutches

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th July 2007
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XLC
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
xlc06sportster is on a distinguished roadxlc06sportster is on a distinguished roadxlc06sportster is on a distinguished roadxlc06sportster is on a distinguished roadxlc06sportster is on a distinguished road
Question Just curious

I'm getting ready to chop my 06 custom to a bobber or likes there of. However with all the options of what to do I'm at a loss on where to begin or what I want to do. I've looked at more pics. than I can remember but still not sure what look I'm after I know thus far I want a bobbed rear fender to a point but not sure how short or how much of a pain it is to cut my rear fender struts. I also want to cut my front fender down to points both front and rear. Past that I have looked and looked at colors to paint and nothing just jumps out and says yea thats the color I want my bike. Did most of you go through this feeling or did you have a plan in mind. I don't want to start till I get some sort of direction. With all the options on the table I feel like a kid in a toy store being told to get just 1 thing. Anyway just looking to see if I'm the only one or if most dealt with this and what brought you to your decision to go with the final plan.

2006-XLC-883-taxes paid! SE-2 pipes w/modified baffels, SE air cleaner, neddle shimmed, AND way to much other stuff for my ~ADD~ ass to list.
Old 28th July 2007
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: gone
Sportster/Buell Year: 05
Quebeker has a reputation beyond reputeQuebeker has a reputation beyond reputeQuebeker has a reputation beyond reputeQuebeker has a reputation beyond reputeQuebeker has a reputation beyond reputeQuebeker has a reputation beyond reputeQuebeker has a reputation beyond reputeQuebeker has a reputation beyond reputeQuebeker has a reputation beyond reputeQuebeker has a reputation beyond reputeQuebeker has a reputation beyond repute

For my bike, I had a "vision" of it but no real plan how to get there. I just stole ideas that I liked from other guys here and applied them on my ride.

If you do look at my bike, you'll see some of Midwest XL's or Preacher's and FiremedicXL's and some Madddog's. Some other stuff is mine but hardly original.

All I knew was I wanted black and no chrome.

As for cutting the struts, you have to commit because you can't go back.

And for fenders, you can get some made of fiberglass right HERE
. They are almost dirt cheap so if you up, it wont cost you an arm and a leg. That's where my back fender comes from.
Old 28th July 2007
Greasemonkey

xlc06sportster is on a distinguished roadxlc06sportster is on a distinguished roadxlc06sportster is on a distinguished roadxlc06sportster is on a distinguished roadxlc06sportster is on a distinguished road

Should I go fiberglass I was just planning on cutting my stock fenders. I've done metal work for alot of years and was thinking of just doing the mods to them. However my experince is in automotive so a little out of my realm.
Old 28th July 2007
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL standard 883/1200 conv
Bill2 has disabled reputation

If you have the bucks to do it right at least have a good plan. It's a lot cheaper with a good plan and turns out better and quicker. You might pick up a few magazines too. Good luck, try something different if that's possible.
'05 Standard 883/1200 touring conversion with: '07 XB heads with 8.8:1 c/r, dragtron II a/c, Caliber 2into1 five step header, rejetted to: 46pilotjet @ two turns,needle clip on 4th groove,185 main jet,twin tech high performance ignition, 30 tooth trans pulley, jagg oil cooler, forward controls, pullback type handle bars,memphis fats windshield, Corbin classic solo seat with back rest, 10" pillion pad, black progressive 412 shocks 12.5" H-D springs, progressive fork springs, vista cruise control, and relocated ignition & coil to a stainless steel home brewed mount between the cylinders. (Temp. runs around 165-180 degrees in town and 180- 210 degrees on the freeway running 70-90mph and it uses no oil in between 3000 mile changes.) GPS calibrated speedometer.
Old 28th July 2007
Greasemonkey

I've slowly been getting my plan together thats why I'm looking to see how other people started. People who I've talked to say I'm being to picky but to me its my bike I want to do it right. I'm just a little retentive on all the little details so I was just looking for feed back on how others started.
Know Thy Hog

Old 28th July 2007
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Custom
Clarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlc06sportster View Post
...I was just looking for feed back on how others started.
I've read that picking up a saw is the best way to get started...

Old 28th July 2007
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883-1250
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
Other Motorcycle Model: 600cc CBR
Other Motorcycle Year: 1987
Weo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to all

Although I checked out pics of other bikes to get ideas, I ended up taking a side picture of my bike (actually it was the stock photo from the catalog), cut out pieces like the fender, handlebars, wheel, etc., and moved them around to get an idea of what I wanted to do.

You can do this with photoshop too, but I didn't have it back then.
Old 29th July 2007
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: Rigid Chopper
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda Ascot VT 500
Other Motorcycle Year: 1984
Antique Engine is on a distinguished roadAntique Engine is on a distinguished roadAntique Engine is on a distinguished roadAntique Engine is on a distinguished road

If you can do metal work on a car, you can do metal work on a Sportster. Saws, cutting wheels and welders don't know the difference.

You could buy a brand new front fender and mod it to get started. Catalogs list them for well under 50 bucks brand new (J&P Cycles, Dennis Kirk). Then you're not taking as big of a leap. Then, maybe do a rear fender next. That way, if you're dissapointed with the end results, you can just bolt your mint condition original back on to the bike till you get more nerve up to try again.
Old 29th July 2007
Red Beard Cycles

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH-1208
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
ReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond repute

Grab some masking tape. If you can find some GREEN painters tape (it's used on automotive) even better.

Begin taping off the areas that you DON'T want on your bike. you can add more or take away until you get the look that you're after.. you can always color it in with a sharpie..

Remember that the rear will open up the tire as well, so you'll need a little bit of imagination for that one, but the tape will be a great help before you take the grinding wheel to it.

You Can't Fix STUPID !

"Don't Just Do It Right. Do It Just Right"

"Guess what?! I got a fever, and the only prescription... is more cowbell!"- Bruce Dickerson

"Horsepower Never Lies-but it's often lied about"

States I've Ridden in

71.3 hp 70.8 tq

1208cc 11.09:1 (Wiseco 10° Dome 10.5:1 .010 over) ,Screamin Eagle Dual Plug Heads (10° 61cc), Original SE A/C, Vance & Hines Straight Shots w/ Custom Baffles. SE 6800 ign, Dual BREMBO brakes/ Pirelli Night Dragon MU85-16 Rear - 100/90-19 Front. Progressive Springs & 412 HD 13½" Chrome Shocks, 5½" pullback riser w/ "reddtigger mount", Stebel Nautilus Compact Air horn, Mustang Vintage Super Wide Touring Seat, Alto Carbonite Clutch