The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Biltwell  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
nate74, daPainta (63), BobboJama (61), whoopeekat (60), steelbreeze (58), Rio (53), paragon (50), miztacrabbypants (45), Truck (40)
Biltwell
Ironworks Magazine
Lowbrow Customs
DK Customs

Foxcreek Leather
Tags
883, faster, performance, sportster, upgrade

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd March 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
CNord09 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 883 performance mods

hey guys. i have a 883 sportster with se plugs and wires. looking for performance upgrades and users who swear by them. i have drilled holes in my stock baffles for sound but have come accross a few extra dollars for slipon exhaust and a/c and "power comander" (what im going to call it.. efi upgrade thingamajig) whats some easy/moderate performance upgrades i can do to get more performance i know my way around a wrench and understad a motor.

Slip on names and people who have had them and like them..
a/c names (**arleness stage two?? seen it and like it? maybe? ideas?)
efi thingamajig
ideas........
i just want more power with it. i ride with bigtwins so i need to beable to rep for us.

when i hear music like this it makes me wanna peel out!!
Old 2nd March 2010
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: none
Sportster/Buell Year: 0
jimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of light

I have an 883 and simply changing to a good air cleaner and slip on mufflers along with a retune is your best bang for the buck.
You don't have to go high dollar in that area unless you want to, the SE offerings in the AC and muffler department do a good job, especially on an otherwise stock motor.
Do you ride 2 up?...if not you can go reduce weight by ripping off things you don't need.
*Taking off back seat (if you have one) and rear passenger pegs/mounts
*Sissy bar (if you have one)
*Anything else you can think of
Reduced weight can have the same effect as added power.
After this stage the real money starts.
Old 2nd March 2010
Super Moderacer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLRR
Sportster/Buell Year: 91
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH1100
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 80
racerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant future

there's no replacement for displacement.......

for about $700 you can get a completely bolt on in 1 day NRHS 1250 kit......that will out power just about anything you can do to an 883......

Ww

Blue Locktite..... I put that sh*t on everything.....

"never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence"

"All The Way"
Old 2nd March 2010
I think I like Sportsters

Sportster/Buell Model: 883L (sorta)
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: XR1200X
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
Screw Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond repute

I second what racerwill said...displacement is the cheapest upgrade for the power at this point for you.

I do or have used the SE Stage 1 A/C, the NRHS Hurricane A/C, stock with a K&N A/C, and a Big Bore Intake (cheap version of the Heavy Breather). From a performance perspective I suspect they are all very close, with probably a slight edge to the Hurricane.

I do or have used Cycle Shack Slipons, SE 50 State legal slipons, and D&D Fat Cat 2-1 exhaust. The SE's sound plenty loud to me, but aren't loud in comparison to most other bike exhausts. The Cycle Shacks were noisy, but not obnoxious. The D&D's have a cool 2-1 sound and are very loud depending on the RPM, but also have the best performance out of the bunch (I don't have any dyno sheets to prove that tho).

The fuel management, you have quite a few choices and decisions to make. Decide if you want to do your own tuning and decide how picky you are. If you aren't going to fiddle with it yourself, talk to the local shop to see what they recommend. If you are comfortable with computers and want to do it yourself I highly recommend the TTS Mastertune. If you want to do it yourself, but it just needs to be close enough then use the Power Commander as there are plenty of maps out there for most configurations. (For what it's worth, I've used the SE Race Fueler, the SE Race Tuner, Daytona TCFI, and TTS Mastertune for tuning at various times. I've also helped a buddy with his Power Commander...now both my bikes use the TTS).

Old 2nd March 2010
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point

I gotta go with the others on this. Well mostly I guess. I have rode beside a few EFI 883 powered sportys with similar modifications to what you and the guys are kickin' around and I got to say they are plenty quick. Sure, given enough time a 1200 will win out, but for around town and hitting the twistys there isn't much difference.

Most of the upgrades you can do on a 883 will carry over to a 1200 when and if the time for conversion comes.

Now keep in mind that this is my personal observation and others may agree/disagree in part or all. That's whats great about this forum, you can take what you read here and balance it with what you see/feel and end up with one badass ride.

Enjoy the ride,
Bud (Halcyon1)
Know Thy Hog

Old 2nd March 2010
Red Beard Cycles

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH-1208
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
ReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond repute

Since you have a 2007, The TTS Mastertune would be a good choice if you want to do it yourself.. (If you're able/capable) if not, I recommend going with the Screamin Eagle Super Tuner at your local dealer (or buy one online and get your INdy to install it) P/N 32109-08A

Much improved responses over the Power Commander/Fuel Pak.. Haven't had a chance to test the TTS Mastertune, (But they did build the Race tuner for HD)

States I've Ridden in

71.3 hp 70.8 tq

1208cc 11.09:1 (Wiseco 10° Dome 10.5:1 .010 over) ,Screamin Eagle Dual Plug Heads (10° 61cc), Original SE A/C, Vance & Hines Straight Shots w/ Custom Baffles. SE 6800 ign, Dual BREMBO brakes/ Pirelli Night Dragon MU85-16 Rear - 100/90-19 Front. Progressive Springs & 412 HD 13½" Chrome Shocks, 5½" pullback riser w/ "reddtigger mount", Stebel Nautilus Compact Air horn, Mustang Vintage Super Wide Touring Seat, Alto Carbonite Clutch
Old 2nd March 2010
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda XL 125
Other Motorcycle Year: 1982
linkin5 is just really nicelinkin5 is just really nicelinkin5 is just really nicelinkin5 is just really nicelinkin5 is just really nicelinkin5 is just really nicelinkin5 is just really nicelinkin5 is just really nicelinkin5 is just really nicelinkin5 is just really nicelinkin5 is just really nice

I use a power commander and have no complaints.
Old 2nd March 2010
XLF LIFEMEMBER Im retired

Sportster/Buell Model: XL50 0596 Black
Other Motorcycle Model: E-Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
Bob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to behold

The air cleaner comes with this kit along with everything else you need. Can be bought at 20% off from several online Harley dealers. I wouldn't do the ECM flash but I'd go with a PC-V. This is the most power for your money.

Quote:
Screamin' Eagle® Sportster® 883cc to 1200cc Stage I Conversion Kit

Make your Iron 883™ roar. This complete conversion kit will alter the personality of your 883-equipped Sportster® model. Designed to bring your XL883 model up to XL1200 specifications, this kit includes Sportster® Stage I Air Cleaner Kit, XL1200 Cylinder Heads, and XL1200 Cylinders and Pistons. Kit includes black highlighted cylinders and cylinder heads. No case machining is required for installation. Street legal when used with stock mufflers. All models require ECM calibration (priced separately).

29784-07

Fits '07-later XL883 models.

MSRP US $1,199.95

Sportys tend to keep getting faster the longer you own them.
Old 2nd March 2010
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883-1250
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
Other Motorcycle Model: 600cc CBR
Other Motorcycle Year: 1987
Weo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to all

First off, often the main reason people are left behind on Sportsters is because they try riding them at too low RPM. If that's not you, here's some things to think about. If you get the best, most expensive exhaust and aircleaner, you'll only be getting a horsepower or two over most other performance exhausts and aircleaners. Unfortunately that's the nature of the 883. IMO, check ebay for CS slipons or SE slipons as well as any aftermarket AC that are compatible with your year. Just about any decent muffler, AC, and related download should be good for a 10HP boost up top, but you might loose some HP under 3k RPM.

Back in the day, the stock 1200's only put out about 10HP more than the stock 883's, but now-a-days the 1200's have considerably better flowing heads, which gives them a 15+HP difference in stock form. Because of the better stock HD 1200 heads, the 1200 will benefit more with HP mods... again usually talking above 3k RPM. BTW, NRHS has mentioned that the SE 1200 heads are less than desirable.

Check out some of NRHS's kits on their website too.
Old 2nd March 2010
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Hugger/Buell XB12S
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell 1125CR
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2009
PuddlePirate has a spectacular aura aboutPuddlePirate has a spectacular aura aboutPuddlePirate has a spectacular aura aboutPuddlePirate has a spectacular aura aboutPuddlePirate has a spectacular aura aboutPuddlePirate has a spectacular aura aboutPuddlePirate has a spectacular aura aboutPuddlePirate has a spectacular aura aboutPuddlePirate has a spectacular aura aboutPuddlePirate has a spectacular aura aboutPuddlePirate has a spectacular aura about

I know I have a carbed bike, but my 1200 conversion only came to a little over $500 including the cams and newer style heads. If you're patient and watch Ebay and similar sites, you can come away a winner.

The screamin eagle conversion kit is a great deal if you have the money.

If money is an issue, just do the 1200 flash after your conversion until you can save enough money to buy one of the other FI controllers.