The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Superbrace  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
truckmen (57), Scooter Trash (52), K2RMX.ROB (50), cherokee jim (50), Milazzo (48), benny04hd (34), Foxman (34), Chase1126 (23)
Superbrace
Lowbrow Customs
Energy One Clutches
Bison Motorsports

Motor Stage

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th May 2005
Biker

x750rider has disabled reputation
Default SORRY A** DEALER!

Well, after doing some research(mostly in this forum)I finally narrowed my choices for my final? upgrade to my 2004 1200c. My taxes have been paid, seat,sissybar,windshield,crash bar,luggage rack,and some chrome goodies,some more chrome goodies and let's not forget even more chrome goodies have been added. Now I'm ready for my 5000 mile check-up along with adding a pair of progressive 412's and front fork springs and some Bel-Ray 15wt oil.(seems like quite a few of you feel this is a good set-up and I for one tend to agree with you). I also wanted the hd oil replaced with Amsoil 20w50 and an Amsoil filter(again learning about this from you guys). Of course I purchased these items from outside sources and not the stealer. Anyway, the reason I'm so pi ed off is after making the necessary arrangements to get the bike to them they call me at work and this LUGHEAD of a service mgr.(ha-what a joke THAT term is)calls me and tells me 1) they can't(or won't) install the oil I brought them and 2)also won't install the front springs either because of liability issues!! WHAT? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I thought this was a service center! EXCUSE ME for getting that wrong!! I asked him what liability is there if I sign off and eliminate any wrong doing on their part and it was still no go. He said "well, we, uhh duhh ummm don't want to get sued, uuhh duuhh by putting uuhh any after market duhh supension parts duhhh on a bike thats uuhhh not uuhh a harley part dduuudhh. Well to be honest I can understand that a little, but what about the OIL? What's going to happen with that? Is the motor going to blow up & take my balls with it or what? The real killer is after all that, he told me that they can still install the rear shocks!! Hey--isn't that a suspension part too!?!?! Anyway(whew!) I told him to go ahead and install'em along with an oil change using the syn3 in all holes and the 5000 mile service. After all the bike was already there and it looks like the Holiday weather was going to be nice & I did'nt want to miss out. Now for the question--how much of this goes on at other stealers? Has anyone else had to go thru this bulls***? I can tell you this-once my warranty(1 more year)expires, I'm tellin those bone heads to kiss my a**. I'll get a manual and do most of the maint. myself , and as far as the other work is concerned, I already found an indy that is WAY more into pleasing their customers than HD is. They're installing the springs on Tues.(they actually told me to drop it off on Memorial Day afternoon so they can get a head start on it). THAT, my friend is SERVICE! Now if I can just get a refund on the AMSOIL>anybody need an oil change?
Old 27th May 2005
Biker

Moved On is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think I can take your side on this one. Why should he put parts in that you didn't buy from him. You could probably have purchased those springs and shocks through him. Most dealers are also DragSpecialties, Custom Chrome & V-Twin Manf. distributors too.

I know a great mechanic with an indy shop that gets pissed of when people bring their own parts in also. He'll do the work, but you'll have to wait until all of his loyal customers get their work done first.

Gazza
Old 27th May 2005
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Takingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of light

Hi.

I am not sure what the problem was with your oil, I am assuming it was Motorcycle oil, right?
As to the springs, well, have they ben sued? Lawers, can live with them, can't live...No wait.
Anywaty, if they have ben sued, or are being sued over some defective springs, I can see there point.

I kinda look at a customer that brings there own parts like a guy that would bring there own food to a restarant.

Look, if you want some shop to work on your bike, buy the parts from them.
If you want to buy your own parts, buy a manual and do it yourself.
Old 27th May 2005
Senior Chief Know It All 3rd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1989
engine has disabled reputation

My indy's motto is "Your local Dealer can afford NOT to care"

I agree with Gary. When I worked in Auto Parts, the local mechanics would not warrant the work if the customer supplied the parts. When the Mechanic gets the parts to install, they charge list price for the part, so that if someting fails along the line, they are covered to do the work again free of charge. If they don't get to charge for the part, then if it fails later on, the customer is on his own.

I would expect the Dealer to not put in aftermarket oil and filter on your bike. Same thing if you go to your GM dealer and bring them Ford Motorcraft oil and filter to put in your Camaro...

But the front spring thing...I think they should have installed them anyway...

Festoonery galore

Last edited by engine; 27th May 2005 at 04:29..
Old 27th May 2005
Be annoyed Now;Ask Me How

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200XL Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
flskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to behold

Unless there is an agreement before hand bringing parts to a mechanic to "drop in" is kind of insulting. Some dealers won't pay the mechanic if the parts weren't purchased from that shop. I would never even bring parts to an indy mechanic without talking to the him first.

Some indy mechanics are cool with it if you can find the parts cheaper than he could get, he just might add a little extra than he would normally charge to make up the difference. But that's with a mechanic you have known for a while.

Every time I drop my bike off for something I usually stop by later and bring the mechanic a cold drink or something, I brought him lunch one time.

A good mechanic is just as important as finding a good doctor.

"... With Liberty & Justice for All." Must be 18, Void where prohibited, Some restrictions may apply, Not available in all 50 states.

"My intentions are good & earnest & true but under my seat is internal combustion power. Satan is my motor(scooter)"
I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Not only are the voices in your head real...they're accurate too!
Know Thy Hog

Old 27th May 2005
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883>1200 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHTCU
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
txsporty is on a distinguished roadtxsporty is on a distinguished roadtxsporty is on a distinguished roadtxsporty is on a distinguished roadtxsporty is on a distinguished road

What they said!!!

But, Buy the Manual and do it yourself!!!

It's not that hard, and the money you would save in labor will more then pay for the Manual!!!!

As cantolina would say:

Old 27th May 2005
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Other Motorcycle Model: Heritage Softail Classic
Other Motorcycle Year: 2005
Darhawk is an unknown quantity at this point

If you walked into my shop with your own parts, I'd tell you to go fu*k yourself. The dealer is in business to make money..............profit comes from bike sales, parts, and service...............and you are trying to take out a part of that equation.

If you are going to buy your own parts, then service the bike yourself........don't blame the dealer for this one.............look in the mirror instead.
Old 27th May 2005
Assistant Administrator

Sportster/Buell Model: 1212 conversion/497 cams
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
xena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond repute

What I usually do if I've purchased my own parts, is tell them right when I make the appointment that I have the parts and want to pay them to install it. The big drawback is, that if the part fails prematurely or whatever, they aren't going replace it for you. Which means you'll have to pay them to remove it, and reinstall a new part.
There have been tons of times when I wanted something specific installed in my Corvette, and my mom and pop auto mechanic just didn't have a connection with a vendor who sold the particular items, so I ordered on my own and brought it to him. He doesn't mind at all.
The people who are stuffing you big time on parts prices are the ones who will care cuz they know they're giving you a jack job on the parts and they just love skarewing people.
On the same note:
We service the computers at our auto mechanics shop. He also has no qualms about buying his own cd burners, hard drives, memory, etc. and calling us to install the stuff. It's the same thing, but we don't get pissed when people do this. Everyone wants to pay less, and if your dealer can't even get the thing, or if he is jacking up so much and you can buy it less, then that's a wake up call for him to drop his screw job prices on parts.
My local indy same thing. They're cool. I can bring whatever in and they'll charge me the labor to install. No problems, no bs. I think HD dealers make big time money on parts so that's why they get pissy but again, I see nothing wrong with bringing your own, as long as you let em know up front.
That said.............................I installed my own shocks, fork springs, and changed my own oil. I'd recommend you get a manual and diy since it's not that hard and it's a cool learning experience and you won't be without your bike longer than the time it takes you to do the work.

XLF Rules/Guidelines

XLF Guidelines II
*¸.•´¸.•´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ (¸.•*´¯`*•--->Xena
1212 Conversion 10:1 CR
SE 497 Cams
Python 3 Slip ons
TC88A running Xena's Black Panther Map

My 1212 Conversion Thread
XL Forum Members Map

Old 27th May 2005
Banned

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
klown is on a distinguished roadklown is on a distinguished roadklown is on a distinguished roadklown is on a distinguished road

My local dealer, has no problem installing my parts. And he does it the same day, in by 9AM and out by 4PM. In case if you guys have forgotten, the dealers still are getting paid labor for installing parts. Even if they are not HD. My stealer understands that the best performance parts are not HD and has no problem taking your money for the install. That being said, I do my own work, I read my manual and by my own parts and do the work myself. Most of the stuff is easy enough to do with a little patience.
Old 27th May 2005
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
xl-scratch is an unknown quantity at this point

X750, I'd feel the same as you. I guess I can understand the dealer not wanting to warranty the part, but refusing to install? Whatever happened to "customer is always right"? And as for taking profit out of the poor, poor dealership, f that. They'll make it up in T-shirt sales the week before Xmas.