The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Mother Road Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Drivetrain > Sportster Motorcycle Tires, Wheels, and Brakes
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Tires, Wheels, and Brakes Discuss issues with Sportster motorcycle tires, wheels and brakes.

Biltwell
Foxcreek Leather
Lowbrow Customs
Bison Motorsports

Motor Stage

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th March 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1989
jodude1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rear Master Cylinder blownup Diagram 1989 Sporty

Does anyone have a blown up diagram of a rear master cylinder for a 1989 883 Sportster . Need to know on a rebuild ,when I put the piston back in the cylinder I will assume the hole in the piston goes "UP" . Any help would be appreciated .
Thanks
Old 19th March 2010
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1203 XLH/Buell Hybrid
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
williamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to behold
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodude1 View Post
Need to know on a rebuild ,when I put the piston back in the cylinder I will assume the hole in the piston goes "UP" .

Yes it does.

Last edited by williamv1203; 19th March 2010 at 17:07..
Old 19th March 2010
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Other Motorcycle Model: Custom Rigid XL
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
billy bob is just really nicebilly bob is just really nicebilly bob is just really nicebilly bob is just really nicebilly bob is just really nicebilly bob is just really nicebilly bob is just really nicebilly bob is just really nicebilly bob is just really nicebilly bob is just really nicebilly bob is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodude1 View Post
Does anyone have a blown up diagram of a rear master cylinder for a 1989 883 Sportster . Need to know on a rebuild ,when I put the piston back in the cylinder I will assume the hole in the piston goes "UP" . Any help would be appreciated .
Thanks

By "up" I assume that you have the master cyl. standing on end ? Then yes you are correct.

It should be facing out towards the boot.

The plunger sits inside and pushes against the "hole" or "cupped" end of the piston.
Old 19th March 2010
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1203 XLH/Buell Hybrid
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
williamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to behold
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bob View Post
By "up" I assume that you have the master cyl. standing on end ? Then yes you are correct.

It should be facing out towards the boot.

The plunger sits inside and pushes against the "hole" or "cupped" end of the piston.
I think he means the tiny hole on the piston that the fluid moves through that is visible inside the mc.
Old 19th March 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1989
jodude1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Master Cylinder Rebuild 1989 sporty

Sorry I might have described it wrong. I mean the tiny hole in the plunger . When the plunger is in the cylinder, does the tiny hole in the plunger face "UP" towards the main hole that is in the resevoir body.I would assume it does just want to make sure before I reassemble.
Know Thy Hog

Old 19th March 2010
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 96
Other Motorcycle Model: CX500
Other Motorcycle Year: 84
a45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nice

yes it does
progressive suspension