The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Energy One Clutches  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Wardog (65), ZeD (62), JamieSporty95 (42), JStrong (37), llsmketr, Phelan (29)
Biltwell
Sky Smith Insurance
Motor Stage
Foxcreek Leather

Licks Cycles

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th March 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 74 xlh
oldhippie is on a distinguished roadoldhippie is on a distinguished road
Default anybodys help

got my 74 xlh out today, first ride since sept. when i bought her. anyways when i hit second gear she lurches. got any ideas? only in second. not sure what's going on here. only second gear. it hits second ok then seconds later before third is when she acts up. thanks
Old 20th March 2010
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Custom Sputhe XR
Sportster/Buell Year: 19**
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1965
chevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of light

What do you mean lurches? Do you mean it feels like it slips into neutral and then lurches into gear again? Does it rev up when it slips?
Old 20th March 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 74 xlh
oldhippie is on a distinguished roadoldhippie is on a distinguished road

no it hits second then like slips, still on throttle then releaces an hits again. don't know how to say it for sure... it hits second, engaged, then lurches. it's only in second.
Old 20th March 2010
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: sporty
Sportster/Buell Year: 69
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Sporty
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 60
Other Motorcycle Model: Pan, Evo, Indian
Other Motorcycle Year: 61
egarrett has a spectacular aura aboutegarrett has a spectacular aura aboutegarrett has a spectacular aura aboutegarrett has a spectacular aura aboutegarrett has a spectacular aura aboutegarrett has a spectacular aura aboutegarrett has a spectacular aura aboutegarrett has a spectacular aura aboutegarrett has a spectacular aura aboutegarrett has a spectacular aura aboutegarrett has a spectacular aura about

Hey ya ol hippie, I'd say it sounds like gummed up or glazed clutch plates. Does it screech, howl, chatter, whine, viberate, grind, whistle, thud, clunk, smoke, or stink? I used to take the plates out and rub the fiber ones on concrete, in a circular motion, to break the glaze. If ya don't think your life is in danger, I'd ride it a little and see if it clears up. It has been sitting awhile...
Old 20th March 2010
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883/1200 Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 1995
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 11 RK
Other Motorcycle Model: 72 Triumph Daytona
ChinCactus has a brilliant futureChinCactus has a brilliant futureChinCactus has a brilliant futureChinCactus has a brilliant futureChinCactus has a brilliant futureChinCactus has a brilliant futureChinCactus has a brilliant futureChinCactus has a brilliant futureChinCactus has a brilliant futureChinCactus has a brilliant futureChinCactus has a brilliant future

I second egarrett's advice. My 74 Ironhead used to do that sometimes. Usually in the spring. It was like you pulled the clutch briefly while accelerating. Always went away though.

If it had been a car, I would'a turned up the radio! That makes a lotta noises go away.....
Know Thy Hog

Old 20th March 2010
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead XLH Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Ironhead XLT Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CBX 1000
Other Motorcycle Year: 1979
ericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to all

This is EXACTLY the same problem I had on my '78. Turned out be a worn shifter fork and some slop in the shifter cam. The wear was causing the countershaft 2nd gear dogs/slots to barely engage, sometimes not enough to hold on acceleration. Only happened in 2nd gear and not all the time either. Would pop out, in, out, etc. until I up shifted into 3rd. To fix it you're going to have to remove the tranny and find out what's wrong inside. Not that big a deal: this was my first time in there and I found it quite interesting to see how everything fit together. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you'll be ahead in the long run. It is sooooo nice now to shift my all-Andrews gearbox: very clean shifts, no more slippage and the knowledge that all the clearances are spot on.

Clutch slippage would likely occur in all gears, especially 3rd and 4th when the load is high, which is why I think you have a similar problem to mine.

Eric
1978 Anniversary Edition XLH. Wiseco 10:1 forged pistons, Andrews R5 cams, dual plugged heads with Super Port Flow, single fire ignition, Mikuni Solex 36 PHH carb, Jagg oil cooler, '73 gauges, kickstart, Barnett kevlar clutch, Progressive front springs, Hagon Nitro shocks, all-Andrews tranny. 1977 XLT, Mikuni Solex 36 PHH carb, tapered dual exhausts, Andrews Y cams, Progressive front springs, Hagon Nitro shocks.
Old 20th March 2010
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Wooley is a glorious beacon of lightWooley is a glorious beacon of lightWooley is a glorious beacon of lightWooley is a glorious beacon of lightWooley is a glorious beacon of lightWooley is a glorious beacon of lightWooley is a glorious beacon of lightWooley is a glorious beacon of lightWooley is a glorious beacon of lightWooley is a glorious beacon of lightWooley is a glorious beacon of light

Primary chain!
Old 20th March 2010
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1971
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDL
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
piniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericfreeman View Post
This is EXACTLY the same problem I had on my '78. Turned out be a worn shifter fork and some slop in the shifter cam. The wear was causing the countershaft 2nd gear dogs/slots to barely engage, sometimes not enough to hold on acceleration. Only happened in 2nd gear and not all the time either. Would pop out, in, out, etc. until I up shifted into 3rd. To fix it you're going to have to remove the tranny and find out what's wrong inside. Not that big a deal: this was my first time in there and I found it quite interesting to see how everything fit together. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you'll be ahead in the long run. It is sooooo nice now to shift my all-Andrews gearbox: very clean shifts, no more slippage and the knowledge that all the clearances are spot on.

Clutch slippage would likely occur in all gears, especially 3rd and 4th when the load is high, which is why I think you have a similar problem to mine.

Eric
Maybe.......But from the sound of it the bike ran well last summer and then it sits for several months.
Now it 'lurches' (or whatever it does)
. A worn shifter fork or shifter cam is not going to happen while it sits out the winter.

I too think it is something with the clutch plates getting gummed up. But in any case, he has to look at the clutch before he removes the trans door, so it's not like it's a lot of work for nothing to look at the clutch. All part of the exercise.
pg
Old 20th March 2010
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead XLH Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Ironhead XLT Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CBX 1000
Other Motorcycle Year: 1979
ericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by piniongear View Post
Maybe.......But from the sound of it the bike ran well last summer and then it sits for several months.
Hmmmm...I took the original message as he bought the bike in September and this is the first ride he's had since buying it. Didn't see anything about it running fine last summer. In my experience, sticking clutch plates are usually most noticeable when taking off in 1st gear: uneven takeup and lurching from gummy surfaces. Once moving the clutch plates would do their job OK. Still think this is a tranny problem instead.

Eric
Old 20th March 2010
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1971
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDL
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
piniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to all

You are most likely correct Eric. I reread his post and he did say Sept was when he bought it. So we can assume he did not ride much before the snow hit.
pg
Know Thy Hog