The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Bison Motorsports  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
Licks Cycles
Biltwell
Superbrace
Biltwell

Energy One Clutches

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th March 2010
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 C
Sportster/Buell Year: 09
Tater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to all
Default Lower Tire pressure ???

Has anyone run lower than recommended??? I am running 30# in my 19" front and 36# in the rear, and it just seems a bit road harsh to me, and I was thinking about trying 28# in the front and 32# in the rear, as I thing it would soften the harshness a bit, plus the slightly larger patch might increase traction...
Anyone else run simuliar pressures, or have any warnings, or input...???
Thanks and have a good one...Tater...
Viking Shock Cutout Saddlebags, Mustang Seat, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, SuperBrace...
Old 20th March 2010
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW R1150R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
bigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to all

Tater, I try not to. I can really tell the difference when i'm nearing 30psi in both tires. There is a wishy washy feeling in the turns.

When we ask for advice, we are usually looking for an accomplice.
Marquis de la Grange (1639 - 1692)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 20th March 2010
Red Beard Cycles

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH-1208
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
ReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond repute

running too low causes the tire to flatten out and you'll end up running only on the edges of the tires, instead of the entire tire. you'll lose contact patch, heat the tires more then normal sometimes to the point of failure.

Not recommended.

States I've Ridden in

71.3 hp 70.8 tq

1208cc 11.09:1 (Wiseco 10° Dome 10.5:1 .010 over) ,Screamin Eagle Dual Plug Heads (10° 61cc), Original SE A/C, Vance & Hines Straight Shots w/ Custom Baffles. SE 6800 ign, Dual BREMBO brakes/ Pirelli Night Dragon MU85-16 Rear - 100/90-19 Front. Progressive Springs & 412 HD 13½" Chrome Shocks, 5½" pullback riser w/ "reddtigger mount", Stebel Nautilus Compact Air horn, Mustang Vintage Super Wide Touring Seat, Alto Carbonite Clutch
Old 20th March 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Mrs - 883R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Mr - Goldwing GL1500
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1999
TripleDuck is on a distinguished roadTripleDuck is on a distinguished roadTripleDuck is on a distinguished roadTripleDuck is on a distinguished roadTripleDuck is on a distinguished road

The pressure marked on the side wall is maximum pressure and should be used if carrying the maximum weight (also marked on sidewall). This is not a likely scenario. So, in real life, we have to do a little simple math.

A simplified version of the formula the tire reps use at the race track....

1. Add max weight ratings from tire
2. Add actual weight (bike's weight+your weight+cargo weight)
3. Divide actual weight by max weight
4. Multiply sidewall pressure rating by factor determined in "3"
5. That is your starting point.
Note: this starting point calculation does not account for temperature or riding style.

Important: Use actual weight - your bike full of gas and your butt full of taco's wearing that fancy leather weighs more than you think.

Real life
Rear tire rated 761#@41psi
Front tire rated 507#@41psi
max = 1268#
bike weight 570#
butt weight 200#
cargo 20#
actual 790#
770/1268 = .62
.62*41 = 25.4 psi starting pressure.

THIS IS NOT TO LOW. The rule of thumb is a 10% rise in pressure before/after ridinga track session. This also applies to street riding for best grip and longevity.

With a typical South Texas day in the high 80's, we run about 27psi cold in the sportster and will measure ~30psi after 20 miles or so in the saddle.

ride safe bros
Old 20th March 2010
Red Beard Cycles

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH-1208
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
ReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleDuck View Post
The pressure marked on the side wall is maximum pressure and should be used if carrying the maximum weight (also marked on sidewall). This is not a likely scenario. So, in real life, we have to do a little simple math.

A simplified version of the formula the tire reps use at the race track....

1. Add max weight ratings from tire
2. Add actual weight (bike's weight+your weight+cargo weight)
3. Divide actual weight by max weight
4. Multiply sidewall pressure rating by factor determined in "3"
5. That is your starting point.
Note: this starting point calculation does not account for temperature or riding style.

Important: Use actual weight - your bike full of gas and your butt full of taco's wearing that fancy leather weighs more than you think.

Real life
Rear tire rated 761#@41psi
Front tire rated 507#@41psi
max = 1268#
bike weight 570#
butt weight 200#
cargo 20#
actual 790#
770/1268 = .62
.62*41 = 25.4 psi starting pressure.

THIS IS NOT TO LOW. The rule of thumb is a 10% rise in pressure before/after ridinga track session. This also applies to street riding for best grip and longevity.

With a typical South Texas day in the high 80's, we run about 27psi cold in the sportster and will measure ~30psi after 20 miles or so in the saddle.

ride safe bros
nice math lesson, however, According to all the tire manufacturers this tire pressure you're recommending is to low..

Dunlop (OEM replacement tires) Typical is around 30psi front.. 36 rear.
Metzeler recommends at least 36 front and 38 rear (SOLO riding)
Avon is also similar.

Now Maybe a racing tire has different results but for street riding, I recommend following the manufacturers recommendations.
Know Thy Hog

Old 20th March 2010
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
FoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleDuck View Post
The pressure marked on the side wall is maximum pressure and...
Actually, on Metzeler tyres, the number is the recommended normal pressure, not the max.

I had an '05 1200R.
Old 20th March 2010
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 C
Sportster/Buell Year: 09
Tater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to all

Thanks Folks, so I am running about what I am supposed to be running, and for sure not too high pressure @ 30# Frt. & 36# rear, and you agree with the owners manual...
Thanks, I'll stick with that, as tire wear & non-cupping (so far)(3K) looks pretty darn good... (BTW-tires are Dunlop originals)...
And I do try to ride the twisties, got in 220 mi. of pretty good riding yesterday (wore me out though)...lol...
I do run the max on the tire sidewall on my PU & car...
I was just thinking that it might help the ride & traction a bit, but I guess
the best thing besides that or a Mustang seat would the buns of steel work out like the wife does...lol...
Thanks Folks and have a good one...Tater...
Old 20th March 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Mrs - 883R
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Mr - Goldwing GL1500
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1999
TripleDuck is on a distinguished roadTripleDuck is on a distinguished roadTripleDuck is on a distinguished roadTripleDuck is on a distinguished roadTripleDuck is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxsterUK View Post
Actually, on Metzeler tyres, the number is the recommended normal pressure, not the max.
I don't have a metzler in the garage right now...you could be right.

However, the tire manufacturer has no idea what bike a specific tire will be mounted on. The bike/rider may weigh 400# or they may weigh 700#. If you want to ride the same tire pressure regardless of load.....knock yourself out.

I've got a few track laps on my butt and have attended more than a couple tech sessions on tire pressure - its a topic of constant discussion in the performance bike arena. The public information has liability all over it - because the manufacturer cannot predict what tire the bike is to be mounted on. Go talk to a tire rep - a manufacturer's tech rep (not a minimum wage tire salesman). In public forum, they will talk the "published pressure". Out of media ear shot (like at the race track) you will get a different story....and yes street tires are developed on the track....the same rules apply.

my suggestion is do what makes you comfortable and feel safe. I'm just sharing a little bit of info gleened over the last 42 years of motorcyling and works fine for me and my loved ones.

ride safe bros
Old 20th March 2010
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 96
Other Motorcycle Model: CX500
Other Motorcycle Year: 84
a45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nice

most manufacturers have a chart for their tires for different bikes i use what they say
progressive suspension
Old 20th March 2010
Super Moderator

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883L
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CB350 Cafe Style
Other Motorcycle Year: 1970
khaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud of

Low tire pressure causes sidewall failure. Can any one say Firestone tires and Ford SUVs and Trucks. Remember, it was not that long ago.

2006 883L
AN Big Sucker Stage 1
Rejetted Carb: Slow 45, Main 175
Vance & Hines Side Shots
Flat Track bars, 4" Joker Machine Risers
Joker Machine Speedo Mount
Speedway Instrument MicroTach
Mid Controls
Lepera Daytona Sport or Lepera Bare Bones Solo
Black Progressive 412 12.5" shocks
Progressive Fork Springs
Knock-off SE Fork Brace
Chopped Rear Fender
Custom Taillight

Ol' Greasy Karl of the Spirit Stalkers MC
Outlaw Name Generator

XLForum Business Card Template

BEFORE YOU CLIMB ON YOUR MOTORCYCLE, CHECK THAT THE NUT THAT CONNECTS THE HANDLEBAR TO THE SEAT IS NEITHER TOO TIGHT NOR TOO LOOSE.
Know Thy Hog