The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum GL Sportster  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE & BUELL MOTORCYCLE FORUM - GENERAL DISCUSSION > Riding Tips & Safety Advice
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Riding Tips & Safety Advice Got a question about your riding technique or safety issues?

Members Birthdays
ziggyhd1 (56), greven (54)
Motor Stage
Fix My Hog
Lowbrow Customs
Licks Holiday

Sky Smith Insurance

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th March 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200XLN
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
ChemicalB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Accidental Group Riding?

So I've come across this situation a few times and I'm never sure what's best. I'm riding home from work when I pull up behind one bike or a group of three or so bikes, maybe they merge in front of me, maybe I speed up to them.

Question is, what is the proper etiquette in that situation? Do I ride staggered with the person, like I would with a buddy? Or ride in the left side of the lane and give him space like he was just a car? Since I don't know the rider, I don't want to ride beside him staggered and make him uncomfortable, but I also don't want to ride behind him. Generally I'll just take the right side of the lane and leave some space between us if traffic permits. Good?
Old 26th March 2010
Senior Master Bolter Oner

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2003
Brad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond repute

I back off or pass. If I have to follow, I space like it was a car, but that's just me.
Old 26th March 2010
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1972
Other Motorcycle Model: FXSTC
Other Motorcycle Year: 1996
FourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really nice

Just hang back
Old 26th March 2010
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CB400T---SOLD
Other Motorcycle Year: 1981
aaandht is a glorious beacon of lightaaandht is a glorious beacon of lightaaandht is a glorious beacon of lightaaandht is a glorious beacon of lightaaandht is a glorious beacon of lightaaandht is a glorious beacon of lightaaandht is a glorious beacon of lightaaandht is a glorious beacon of lightaaandht is a glorious beacon of lightaaandht is a glorious beacon of lightaaandht is a glorious beacon of light

On the highway I usually ride staggared and leave a few bike lengths between me and the other rider.

Not sure if its proper, but its the way I would want someone to ride behind me.
Old 26th March 2010
Luvs me an artsy chick...

Sportster/Buell Model: 883>1200 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 97
cantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud of

I hang back a bit and ride as if I were alone.....or pass, as appropriate...

"entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

Occam's Razor...

in English: "entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity."
My definition: "The simplest answers are the most likely"

~NRHS machined 1200 conversion, shittin and gettin...

XLF Tuning Stickies

Charging system troubleshooting

Know Thy Hog

Old 26th March 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200XLN
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
ChemicalB is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, I generally hang back like you've all said. I find though that it usually happens on the way home from work during rush hour, so making big gaps in traffic isn't appreciated and then usually a cager will try to pass and fill the gap. Which makes me think: Think it would be safer in thick traffic to stick with the other bikes I might come up to? As in, wouldn't we be more visible as two or three bikes than a few scattered everywhere? That makes sense to me.
Old 26th March 2010
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1200n
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
sololow1200n has a spectacular aura aboutsololow1200n has a spectacular aura aboutsololow1200n has a spectacular aura aboutsololow1200n has a spectacular aura aboutsololow1200n has a spectacular aura aboutsololow1200n has a spectacular aura aboutsololow1200n has a spectacular aura aboutsololow1200n has a spectacular aura aboutsololow1200n has a spectacular aura about

ride your ride there is no etiquette per say to a small group of riders. ride like you would the way you do with all the cages. the only exception would be if you ride up on an mc or rc or they ride up on you. either pass in another lane or let them by.
Old 26th March 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
Purple99Sporty is an unknown quantity at this point

Most times when I try to ride staggered with another rider I catch up to on the highway, they will ride as though I'm not even there. My philosophy is "safey in numbers" against the cages. Some guys are cool about it, but mostly not... In this case, I throttle up...
Old 26th March 2010
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: Harley 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
WarHorse will become famous soon enoughWarHorse will become famous soon enoughWarHorse will become famous soon enoughWarHorse will become famous soon enoughWarHorse will become famous soon enoughWarHorse will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantolina View Post
i hang back a bit and ride as if i were alone.....or pass, as appropriate...
+1

1% Name - Bug Brain of the Satan's Barbers MC
Old 26th March 2010
I am the great Cornholio!

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki GT550
Other Motorcycle Year: 1974
ParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond repute

As others have said, I will either pass or hang back. I won't join their group since I don't know them so I don't know how they will react or what kind of rider they are. Last thing I want is to join up with them and find the last guy is a drifter and drifts into my lane.

While there is safety in numbers, in my opinion that only counts if you know the skills of the other riders. Otherwise you could be getting closer to another hazzard.

Sturgis 2009
Around the Lakes 2010
Texas 2011
New England 2011
Wreaths Across America 2011
Labor Day 2012
My first rally - Void 7
Pensacola 2012
Forum trip to Boyer WV July 2013
Coast to Coast to Coast in 100 hours
Butt Lite 7 - 5700 miles in 6 days

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne - "The Shootist"
Know Thy Hog