The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Mother Road Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Biltwell
Lickscycles
DK Customs
NRHS Performance Long 2

CV Performance

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th March 2010
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster xlch 900
Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
maritimer is on a distinguished roadmaritimer is on a distinguished road
Default Oil Leak, Possible fix suggestions anyone?

o kso i am gettign tired of wiping my cam cover down everytime i park, got an oil leak that becomes noticable at 50mph+, seems like it is coming from the distributer as it is leaking fro mthe opening the wire that feeds 12v gos through, running down the stem onto the cam cover and down towards the ground. it wont do it at idle only when i am moving 45mph or higher and no it isnt comign from the pushrod tubes LOL. anyoen got any ideas on how to stop it?
Old 29th March 2010
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Sportster XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: Trac Dynamics / Razor,
tracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the rough

the seal behind the advance weights in the cam cover, you have to pull the cover to change it.
Old 29th March 2010
Banned

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead Chopper
Sportster/Buell Year: 84
Other Motorcycle Model: Kaw Z1 900
Other Motorcycle Year: 1973
jonnybravo has a spectacular aura aboutjonnybravo has a spectacular aura aboutjonnybravo has a spectacular aura aboutjonnybravo has a spectacular aura aboutjonnybravo has a spectacular aura aboutjonnybravo has a spectacular aura aboutjonnybravo has a spectacular aura aboutjonnybravo has a spectacular aura aboutjonnybravo has a spectacular aura about

oil out of the distributor, dont think so !!! the wire is from the oil switch to oil light, its gotta be coming from somewhere else, leaky cam cover???
Old 29th March 2010
Flat Track Champion

ok i think you guys are confusing the 69 with the 71+ where the 71+ has the points etc in the nose cone
this is my camcover and distributer

the wire coming out of it you can see i nthis picture is the line runnign from the coil to the distributer
it kinda runs out and under sorta, well fro mthe looks of the leak the oil is coming out of there and running down the stem of the distributer and down the front of the cam cover, the gasket between the cam cover and the case is dry and the base of thew pushrods are dry as well the only oil i can find is coming out of the distributer.
Old 29th March 2010
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 75 motor in Norton frame.
Other Motorcycle Model: 42WLA 45, Harton, Narley
Other Motorcycle Year: 1942
Hopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to behold

If it was coming from that wire hole, the inside of your distributor would be plenty oily.
But in your pic, the inside distributor looks pretty squeaky clean, so it does not look like the oil is coming from inside the distributor.

Maybe the oil is leaking out the distributor mounting gasket and/or o-ring and then blowing in the wind back on to that wire??

Old 29th March 2010
Flat Track Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopper View Post
If it was coming from that wire hole, the inside of your distributor would be plenty oily.
But in your pic, the inside distributor looks pretty squeaky clean, so it does not look like the oil is coming from inside the distributor.

Maybe the oil is leaking out the distributor mounting gasket and/or o-ring and then blowing in the wind back on to that wire??
tis pic was taken abotu a month ago LOL i havent had a chance to open the distributer up sicne i noticed it this afternoon but when i parked it tonight hole the wire comes out of was dripping oil i wouldnt think wind could blow it up the dist. shaft and int othe hole, i am gonan be out i nthe shop to-morrow an will open the distributer up then.
Old 6th April 2010
Flat Track Champion

ok so sicne shes down till i get new swing arm bearings and replace them, i pulled the distributer cover off, and the top plate off, shes defitnly throughly coated in oil under the top plate, least i dotn have to wory about my advance weights seiing LOL is there a seal on the distributer shaft that should be replaced? do i need to pull the distributer out to get to it or can i replace it fro mthe top side without pulling the distributer?
Old 6th April 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xlx
Sportster/Buell Year: 1985
waltthefanboy is an unknown quantity at this point

In the words of my best old buddy pat... "Its a harley, they gotta mark their spot somehow."
Old 6th April 2010
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1972
Other Motorcycle Model: FXSTC
Other Motorcycle Year: 1996
FourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really nice

Is that Bondo??

You might be able to track it down with some Soft & Dri baby powder spray or some dye-lite
Old 6th April 2010
Flat Track Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourCams View Post
Is that Bondo??

You might be able to track it down with some Soft & Dri baby powder spray or some dye-lite
no thats defintly not bundo LOL

from all i can tells its coming from the inside of the distributer best guess based on following it while its high idleing in my barn is its coming up the shaft and gitting in with the advance wieghts pouring down the openings in the bottom of the distributer
Know Thy Hog