The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum GL Sporster  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical and Ignition
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
Foxcreek Leather
NRHS Performance Long 2
Ironworks Magazine
Superbrace

NRHS Performance Long 2

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st March 2010
Biker

cdavisw is an unknown quantity at this point
Post '04 starter stays engaged after running

Hey guys. I've got a 2004 basic XL883 with 4,951 miles on it. I just bought it and as you can tell from the miles it has on it it has been ridden very little and sat up a LOT. I've got a "recent" problem that I'd appreciate some wisdom on. When I start the bike as of late, I can still hear the starter spinning - a whine that's audible. Last night I removed the plunger assembly from the solenoid (with the starter/solenoid assembly still in the bike) and put some white lithium grease on it but it seemed to move in and out fine. What's my problem? How do I remove the primary to get to the bolts to remove the starter assembly and bench test it? Thanks a bunch for your help!!!
Old 31st March 2010
CANUKSTER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Lenster has a brilliant futureLenster has a brilliant futureLenster has a brilliant futureLenster has a brilliant futureLenster has a brilliant futureLenster has a brilliant futureLenster has a brilliant futureLenster has a brilliant futureLenster has a brilliant futureLenster has a brilliant futureLenster has a brilliant future

Before removing the starter I'd check the start switch to make sure it's OK. If you do need to remove the starter, you've got to remove the left side primary cover to get at the screws holding the starter in place.
Lenster's 1250 2006 XL1250C, Hammer Crush Heads, 15 Degree Pistons, 10.5:1 CR, S&S Roller Rockers, Fixed Length Pushrods, Jim's Powerglide II Hydraulic Lifters, RedShift 585 Cams, Hammer Performance Billet Intake Manifold, Mikuni HSR 45, Offset Crush AC, RB Racing LSR 2:1 Exhaust and a Daytona Twin Tec TC88A with a Kickass Map by Rico 05R.

Old 31st March 2010
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
Babalu has a spectacular aura aboutBabalu has a spectacular aura aboutBabalu has a spectacular aura aboutBabalu has a spectacular aura aboutBabalu has a spectacular aura aboutBabalu has a spectacular aura aboutBabalu has a spectacular aura aboutBabalu has a spectacular aura about

i just had the same exact problem, i would kill the engine and the starter would still be cranking, pull the keys out still going. i even disconnected the cable from the starter button to the assembly.

i pulled the starter and hooked it to a battery and tested it, it looked fine. i did replace the relay and hooked it back up. it worked once then on a ride after stopping the starter fired up again.

i ended up replacing the entire starter with one i got off ebay and so far so good.

to remove the primary cover (for a 1998) you have to:

disconnect battery
remove derby cover
remove clutch cable
remove clutch housing
remove control
loosen primary chain all the way out
slowly loosen primary cover screws (keep track of which came from where they go back in easier)
then you'll see the starter bolts, two hex bolts and the starter comes right out

i don't know i got a starter for $84 on ebay and the relay was a few bucks, if it isn't the start button i would just replace the starter and relay of those and go on with your life.

i think for me it was in the starter perhaps the spring that opens the connection again in the solenoid once the start button is released got stuck or fused or something. maybe the first time removing it and dropping it on a table fixed it for that one time then it hit again.
Old 31st March 2010
Biker

Hey thanks a lot. I appreciate the info. How would I check the starter switch to see if it's bad? Thanks again...
Old 31st March 2010
Drag Race Champion

Babalu has a spectacular aura aboutBabalu has a spectacular aura aboutBabalu has a spectacular aura aboutBabalu has a spectacular aura aboutBabalu has a spectacular aura aboutBabalu has a spectacular aura aboutBabalu has a spectacular aura aboutBabalu has a spectacular aura about

what i would do is start the bike up if the starter is still engaging there is a white clip at the base of the starter a connector to the relay. if you pull that then the starter is just on battery this cuts out all wiring, if it's still engaging something is stuck in the starter keeping it to stay engaged and drawing power.

or without initially starting the bike with the start button you could even jump a wire from that connection at the base of the starter with the clip removed over to the battery connection and see if the bike starts up correctly with the starter properly disengaging.

if the starter works correctly then it's your start button or relay just replace both, if the starter is still kicking until you disconnect battery after jumping it then it's your starter solenoid.

that's my $0.02. other people will probably have better ideas.
Know Thy Hog

Old 1st April 2010
Biker

Well - turns out it WAS the starter button (or relay)! Not really sure which but at least now I know the starter/solenoid are ok. When I jump the solenoid directly to the battery it does JUST WHAT IT'S SUPPOSED TO DO - jumps in and out like a champ! But when I use the factory starter button I can switch my key to "ignition" then press "run" on the starter button. I don't even have to press the actual starter button - after a few seconds it'll just engage itself. Weird! Thanks a bunch BABALU and LENSTER. Much appreciated. I think I'll probably install a start button on my solenoid while I'm at it in case the goofy starter button (or relay) ever fails me again. Any ideas on how to determine which is faulty? Ride safely fellas and many thanks, CDAVISW
Old 1st April 2010
Drag Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdavisw View Post
Well - turns out it WAS the starter button (or relay)! Not really sure which but at least now I know the starter/solenoid are ok. When I jump the solenoid directly to the battery it does JUST WHAT IT'S SUPPOSED TO DO - jumps in and out like a champ! But when I use the factory starter button I can switch my key to "ignition" then press "run" on the starter button. I don't even have to press the actual starter button - after a few seconds it'll just engage itself. Weird! Thanks a bunch BABALU and LENSTER. Much appreciated. I think I'll probably install a start button on my solenoid while I'm at it in case the goofy starter button (or relay) ever fails me again. Any ideas on how to determine which is faulty? Ride safely fellas and many thanks, CDAVISW
not sure how to tell which it is since i disconnected the entire assembly and mine was still engaging so i stopped troubleshooting the start button. a voltmeter and manual would tell the tale. i would start with the relay i think it's $8.00 or so. if that doesn't work replace the start switch. based on the bolded line i would wager it's your start button, it's basically forever locked in the engaged position hence why you put it in RUN it tries to turn over.

did you change your bars recently? could be the wires got pinched when tightening the torx screws down. i thought this may have been the issue when this happened to me but i cut the coating off and the wires were fine.