The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Superbrace  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Intake and Exhaust > Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust Problems, advice and/or how tos for Sporster and Buell motorcycle carburators, Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI), Air Intake, Fuel and Exhaust.

Members Birthdays
gp9739 (70), danbango (67), andyman1958 (56), 55 Jr (53), Love2FixIt (45), keywan (43), C Dubya (40), CA71xlch (39)
Fix My Hog
Energy One Clutches
Burly
Foxcreek Leather

Lickscycles

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd April 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster XL1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
CAMJAG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Vance & Hines Straight Shot Slip on Removable Baffles

Hey guys I have a newb question for ya. I ordered a set of Vance & Hines Straight Shot slip ons for my 09 Nightster. The description says they have removable baffles. I was wondering if anyone is running these pipes with the baffles removed with out any tuning, and if it sounds good? This is my first bike and first mod
Old 2nd April 2010
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883L *SOLD*
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
aleson will become famous soon enoughaleson will become famous soon enoughaleson will become famous soon enoughaleson will become famous soon enoughaleson will become famous soon enoughaleson will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMJAG View Post
Hey guys I have a newb question for ya. I ordered a set of Vance & Hines Straight Shot slip ons for my 09 Nightster. The description says they have removable baffles. I was wondering if anyone is running these pipes with the baffles removed with out any tuning, and if it sounds good? This is my first bike and first mod
I've got them with the quiet baffles, I think they are too loud withouth baffles. I would put them on with baffles and give a try if I were you
Old 2nd April 2010
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N Org/Blk
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
erbie07nightster has much to be proud oferbie07nightster has much to be proud oferbie07nightster has much to be proud oferbie07nightster has much to be proud oferbie07nightster has much to be proud oferbie07nightster has much to be proud oferbie07nightster has much to be proud oferbie07nightster has much to be proud oferbie07nightster has much to be proud oferbie07nightster has much to be proud oferbie07nightster has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMJAG View Post
I'm pretty sure mine have the regular baffles in them, and they are plenty loud. As far as whether you'd need to tune without baffles, I don't know. I just know you don't want to loose all back pressure.
Old 3rd April 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
2006xl1200 is an unknown quantity at this point

You will need to put a air cleaner on and for best gains in hp reflash the computer/ECM or install a S/E super tuner or Power Commander

2006 XL1200C with S/E Heads,S/E 551 Cams,S/E Perfect Fit Pushrods,S/E Roller Rocker Arms,S/E Tappets,S/E Cylinder Studs,S/E 42MM Mukuni,S/E Manifold,S/E Clutch,S/E Pro Igintion Module 7,000 RPM,S/E Plugs,S/E Wires,Arlen Ness Big Sucker,Vance and Hines Shortshots Staggered and the rest of the bike chromed out!
Old 3rd April 2010
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N
Other Motorcycle Model: HONDA CB550 Cafe Racer
Other Motorcycle Year: 1974
Groovie Ghoulie is just really niceGroovie Ghoulie is just really niceGroovie Ghoulie is just really niceGroovie Ghoulie is just really niceGroovie Ghoulie is just really niceGroovie Ghoulie is just really niceGroovie Ghoulie is just really niceGroovie Ghoulie is just really niceGroovie Ghoulie is just really niceGroovie Ghoulie is just really niceGroovie Ghoulie is just really nice

without baffles they are LOUD! like almost too loud. The German police pulled me and threatened to impound it they were so loud. I run quiet baffles now and they are STILL loud enough.

2009 XL1200N, V&H SS, Licks 30'' Drags, SE Heavy Breather, Bar-end Mirrors, PCV, Licks 2'' Tank Lift, HD Forward Controls, Wire tuck, Speedo Relocated.
Know Thy Hog

Old 3rd April 2010
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
JoeFriday77 is just really niceJoeFriday77 is just really niceJoeFriday77 is just really niceJoeFriday77 is just really niceJoeFriday77 is just really niceJoeFriday77 is just really niceJoeFriday77 is just really niceJoeFriday77 is just really niceJoeFriday77 is just really niceJoeFriday77 is just really niceJoeFriday77 is just really nice

The standard baffles aren't much of a baffle at all. They are pretty freaking loud (for me) with the regular baffle. As Goovie said, even with the quite baffles, they are still pretty loud. Once you get them and look down them, you will see what I mean by not much of a baffle for the standard set.
Old 3rd April 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster XL1200N
CAMJAG is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys. I put them on last night and kept the baffles in them. It is a good thing I did, they are loud. Now my bike sounds like a Harley. I don't know how much of a gain in HP/TQ numbers but I am impressed with how much harder the bike pulls now. I just thought it was going to add some noise but it moves much better.
Old 4th April 2010
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N
Other Motorcycle Model: HONDA CB550 Cafe Racer
Other Motorcycle Year: 1974
Groovie Ghoulie is just really niceGroovie Ghoulie is just really niceGroovie Ghoulie is just really niceGroovie Ghoulie is just really niceGroovie Ghoulie is just really niceGroovie Ghoulie is just really niceGroovie Ghoulie is just really niceGroovie Ghoulie is just really niceGroovie Ghoulie is just really niceGroovie Ghoulie is just really niceGroovie Ghoulie is just really nice

As with almost any drag pipe your gonna loose bottom-end. You can do the "lollipop" mod, or if your really concerned with performance use a 2:1 system. Like the old road racing GP bikes like the CR750, 4 into 4 unbaffled gives you better top-end performance, but you loose the "Street" powerband. so unless you go EVERYWHERE at WOT, you wont notice a huge increase. I love mine though, if I was after all-out performance I would ride one of my other bikes. They look the business, and sound great.
Old 4th April 2010
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1203 XLH/Buell Hybrid
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
williamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to behold
Cool

With no baffles they are straight through. Drag pipes. Excessively loud. Not good for the engine.
I have a set on mine with the regular baffles. Still not the sound I wanted, so I put another set of the baffles that have triangles stamped into them and folded in over one edge... along with and inside the standard baffles. Deep rumble, good back pressure and loads of power. I could feel the difference in the way the engine pulls now as compared to with just the standard baffles.
Old 4th April 2010
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
johnwestphal has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006xl1200 View Post
You will need to put a air cleaner on and for best gains in hp reflash the computer/ECM or install a S/E super tuner or Power Commander

Man, that's a good lookin' scoot, sorry for the hijack.
Know Thy Hog