The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum S&S Cycle  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
DRAWTOOL (64), svoracer (61), curly h (60), mosby (57), barry1967 (47), BiggyJ (47), the_MAD_Baker (46), deadeye (41), SharkMDick (39), bdbecker (31)
Bison Motorsports
Lowbrow Customs
Get Lowered
RYCA Motors

Get Lowered

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th April 2010
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1971
Maxxra is on a distinguished roadMaxxra is on a distinguished road
Default Engine Rebuild Questions

Hello All!

I'm still at war with my current re-build project, and I wanted to get some advice on how I should proceed to the next step:

1) I have the oil pump off the bike, but one of the screws sheered off inside the case. Do I need to get this heli-colied or is there an easier method?

2) I've examined the pump for scratches, but didnt really find anything on the walls. Is there any other kind of damage I need to look for? The previous owner dumped the bike due to a massive oil leak, so I'm a bit worried.

3) Can I use parts washer / corrosives on the oil pump + parts to get this thing cleaned up? Also, the old gaskets are still pretty well stuck onto it: is there a good way to get them off?

4) Lastly, what would you all recommend for new gaskets for the oil pump (and cam cover + top end)?

Thanks in advance for your help!

-Max
Old 5th April 2010
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1972
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Harley-Davidson
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2009
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHTCU (Geezer Glide)
72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice

Brake clean or Carb cleaner. WD-40 on the gaskets, and a plastic scraper.

Use eithe James or Cometic Gaskets.

RIP: Eli
Old 5th April 2010
Know It All

Thanks 72Iron!

What kind of plastic scraper? Is there some special tool?
Old 5th April 2010
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 81 sporty
boilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxra View Post
Thanks 72Iron!

What kind of plastic scraper? Is there some special tool?
just go to an auto supply place they shouild have what you need plastic scrapers have been used on aluminum engine parts for years.spay the parts down to soften up the gaskets first then start scrappin.
Old 5th April 2010
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDL
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
piniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to all

You can also buy Permantex Gasket Remover in a spray can. It works very well.
For the sheared off bolt in the case........
You need to VERY CAREFULLY center punch the end of the broken bolt. You want to be as close to center as you can get.
Then just as carefully, drill a hole into the bolt with an 1/8 inch drill bit about a half inch deep.
Drill it again with a 3/16 inch (or smaller) drill bit.
Then put an EZ OUT into the hole and unscrew the broken bolt out of the case. No need to Heli-Coil it in my opinion, just be careful not to break another bolt.
pg
Know Thy Hog

Old 5th April 2010
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 81 sporty
boilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by piniongear View Post
You can also buy Permantex Gasket Remover in a spray can. It works very well.
For the sheared off bolt in the case........
You need to VERY CAREFULLY center punch the end of the broken bolt. You want to be as close to center as you can get.
Then just as carefully, drill a hole into the bolt with an 1/8 inch drill bit about a half inch deep.
Drill it again with a 3/16 inch (or smaller) drill bit.
Then put an EZ OUT into the hole and unscrew the broken bolt out of the case. No need to Heli-Coil it in my opinion, just be careful not to break another bolt.
pg
if its like the gasket remover I used to use years ago.Use gloves when dealing with the permatex gasket remover.also you could try using a left handed drill bit it may bite and spin that bolt out if your lucky
Old 5th April 2010
Know It All

Thanks boilermaker & piniongear!

Quick question: this bolt is one of five that holds screws the oil pump to the engine case. Its really pretty thin bolt and it broke off at a weird angle.

How do you deal with center punching that?
Old 5th April 2010

piniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxra View Post
Thanks boilermaker & piniongear!

Quick question: this bolt is one of five that holds screws the oil pump to the engine case. Its really pretty thin bolt and it broke off at a weird angle.

How do you deal with center punching that?
Well, that makes things difficult. But you need to center punch it in the center or else the drill bit will drift off into the case. That you do not want to happen.

As boilermaker suggested, if you have a place nearby that will sell you a left hand twist bit....... go buy it. Only a larger city is going to have such a store though. And even with that you need to get a flat on the end of the bolt to center punch it.

Since the bolt face broke at a 'weird' angle, can you take a small nail and use this as a punch to drive against the face of the break?
If the broken bolt is loose in the hole this may begin to turn it.
You may be able to take a flat nosed punch and tap against the end of the bolt to create a small flat spot on the face. Then center punch on the flat you just created. We are talking about a broken 1/4-20 bolt here and that is small. Try using a 1/4 inch diameter flat nose punch. That way it will self guide itself into whatever depth of hole you have above the break.
How deep down is the broken end of the bolt?
Just trying to give some help here.
pg
Old 6th April 2010
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 1976
Other Motorcycle Model: Springer Softtail
Other Motorcycle Year: 89'
1976 XL is on a distinguished road1976 XL is on a distinguished road

That is exactly what size thread it is PG. Although I paid a (so called) mechanic to repair a broken pump bolt. He removed the bolt, but didn't repair the threads. I had to do that myself. I just heli-coiled it. Getting back on the subject of the broken bolt. You could use a dremel tool, or the like, and level off the bolt, in order to center the punch. Just a thought.
Old 6th April 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1976 XL View Post
That is exactly what size thread it is PG. Although I paid a (so called) mechanic to repair a broken pump bolt. He removed the bolt, but didn't repair the threads. I had to do that myself. I just heli-coiled it. Getting back on the subject of the broken bolt. You could use a dremel tool, or the like, and level off the bolt, in order to center the punch. Just a thought.
Yeah, I did not even want to mention a Dremel because you are going to be grinding away more aluminum case than you will steel bolt.

The problem with a Dremel (or any other grinder for that matter) is the tool will want to grab and travel across the top of the broken bolt to lodge itself in the case. The only way I would use a Dremel is to have a short piece of steel tube that I could put in the hole like a chimney. Then select a tool small enough to fit just inside the chimney. This would keep the tool centered and not allow it to dig into the aluminum case.
I have the tools in my shop to do make such a setup, but the average person has a cordless drill and that's about it.
pg
Know Thy Hog