The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Motor Stage  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
spatial.hd, cress (56), tomheck2112 (47), Marks98Sporty (47), hdsportster71 (43), jmhurt (36), Tros (30)
Superbrace.com
Motor Stage
Energy One Clutches
BIKE BUILDER

Foxcreek Leather

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th August 2007
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead XLH Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Ironhead XLT Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CBX 1000
Other Motorcycle Year: 1979
ericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to all
Default Kicker Kit Installation Tips

As the heading indicates, I just installed a V-Twin kicker kit in my '78 XLH Anniversary Edition Ironhead. Along the way I learned a few things that may help anyone planning on doing this work on their bike. Obviously, some of the tools required will vary depending on the year of the bike but I'll list the basic stuff and you can figure out the rest.

Special Tools required:

Clutch tool to disassemble the clutch drum

Tool for clamping the clutch drum and ratchet plate together for drilling rivet holes and installing rivets.

Large sockets for removing the clutch hub and engine sprocket

Bushing reamer for reaming the bushing in the sprocket cover (I used an adjustable reamer of about 3/4" diameter for this) since the V-Twin kit provides bushings but they're not installed in the supplied sprocket cover and this one needs reaming a bit to fit the new kicker shaft.

Dial indicator to check kicker shaft end thrust

Measuring device for determining starter ratchet gear and ratchet plate clearance (minimum of .040" required). I used digital calipers.

Other Parts Not in the Kit

Clutch hub nut lockwasher (yours might break when bending the tab to remove the nut)

Clutch drum bearing (about $10 and it will allow you to use the special tool properly).

Transmission fluid

Spare primary cover gasket (the kit gasket is sealed in a plastic sleeve that was stuck to my gasket and pulled some of the gasket material away during removal. I salvaged it but it's a good idea to have a spare on hand).

Shifter shaft seal if you have a '77-79 model.

General Notes:

You can use a good quality flat punch to peen the heads of the rivets flat in the clutch drum. Alternatively, purchase a used clutch drum for your year with both the starter ring gear and ratchet plate already fitted.

I had to remove the engine sprocket in order to remove the primary chain to reinstall the clutch drum. The drum came off without removing the chain but with the ratchet plate riveted in place there is reduced clearance around the tranny shaft to twist the drum. So, plan on pulling the engine sprocket and chain to make this an easier job.

On my '78, the engine case bushing was already in place, covered with a block-off plug, seal and bolt. Also, the thrust plate stop (in the kit) was already in place on my bike. Trying to install this stop would be nearly impossible with the engine in the frame so it's worth checking ahead of time.

Don't try to fit the thrust plate onto the kicker shaft as you slide it through the hole in the rear mount as it will bind things up. Instead, install the rubber shaft seal in it's recess (easier said than done!) and use some grease to hold the thrust plate to the engine case where it belongs. Then slide the kicker shaft through the plate and seal. Grease things up as it's a tight fit through the seal and you'll have to work the shaft a bit.

The FSM states the install the kicker shaft with the bolt notch facing rearwards during the process. I originally did this and then realized the kicker lever wouldn't fit with the lever oriented thusly. Keep the bolt slot on top and you'll be OK.

If you have 2" diameter down pipes like my bike, you might have to grind a relief on the backside of the kickstart lever to clear the pipe. I had to remove about 3/16" of metal in a shallow arc to allow the lever to move properly without hanging up on the exhaust.

I'm sure there's a bunch I have forgotten to mention since the job is so fresh in my memory. Best to allow a full weekend for the job so you can take some breaks. I did it in a 13 hour marathon (along with a bunch of other tasks) and really wished I was in a home garage where I could pace the job over a few days.

If anyone has any other suggestions or questions feel free to contribute.

Eric
Old 11th September 2007
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDX
Other Motorcycle Year: 2005
SamIam is an unknown quantity at this point

Eric:
This is great! I'm planning on adding a kicker to my 77 XLH
Super info!
Old 11th September 2007
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

ericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to all

Sam

I'm glad the info will be some help to you. I forgot to list things to hold/lock the engine sprocket and transmission hub nuts while you loosen/torque them. I used an air wrench to get the nuts off and then cobbled together some various bits and pieces to jam the sprockets when tightening the nuts. There's a good link on this forum to a guy who shows how to make these simple tools. Best of luck and I absolutely LOVE having a kicker again. My '78 fires up with one kick every time!

Eric
Old 18th December 2007
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Default Heads Up for You Guys Looking to Fit a Kicker

I fitted a kick start setup to my '78 a few months back and really like the addition to my electric start. However, a few weeks ago I replaced my slash cut pipes with some new Cycle Shack classic tapered pipes, just like I had on my '77 XLCH 30 years ago. Love the look and sound of the new pipes. BUT!! Went to try the kicker yesterday and without even thinking about it, discovered the hard way that the kicker hits the forward pipe near the bottom of its stroke!! Put a nice scrape and slight dent in my brand new pipe!! Dammit to hell!! No way to adjust the front pipe to get the proper clearance for the kicker lever since it's already tucked in as close to the frame as it will go.

So, new Cycle Shack pipes are off and I'm back to the slash cuts. Guess I'll have to be happy with them (they are nice pipes but I wanted the tapered ones for the look).

Moral to this story: If you are planning to fit a kicker to your bike, make sure you have enough clearance for the kick lever to run through its stroke without hitting anything.

Anyone want some nice new Cycle Shack's?

Eric
1978 Anniversary Edition XLH. Wiseco 10:1 forged pistons, Andrews R5 cams, dual plugged heads with Super Port Flow, single fire ignition, Mikuni Solex 36 PHH carb, Jagg oil cooler, '73 gauges, kickstart, Barnett kevlar clutch, Progressive front springs, Hagon Nitro shocks, all-Andrews tranny. 1977 XLT, Mikuni Solex 36 PHH carb, tapered dual exhausts, Andrews Y cams, Progressive front springs, Hagon Nitro shocks.
Old 18th December 2007
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: FXRS-SP
Sportster/Buell Year: 86
Other Motorcycle Model: wla flathead45
Other Motorcycle Year: 1945
flathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant future

I wear my scrape and dent with pride

it means ya actually use it
thank god for darwin
Know Thy Hog

Old 18th December 2007
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by flathead45 View Post
I wear my scrape and dent with pride

it means ya actually use it
I thought of that but the kicker arm actually gets jammed against the pipe and won't return without a big tug on it. I suppose I could grind a bit off the arm but for now I'm going to live with the original pipes.

Really pisses me off though, since I went to the trouble of triple-coating the inside of the pipes with ceramic treatment to prevent discoloring and was very careful fitting them to the bike to avoid any scratches. I wish Cycle Shack had done a better job on that front pipe to clear the kicker. I'm going to contact them to see what they say.

Eric
Old 18th December 2007
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: FXRS-SP
Sportster/Buell Year: 86
Other Motorcycle Model: wla flathead45
Other Motorcycle Year: 1945
flathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant future

ya, mine jams to but I live with it, I've learned how to grip the lever with the side of my boot and drag it free

plus I've jiggled everything til it just hits. then tightened it all back up
Old 18th December 2007
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1966
RRB is on a distinguished roadRRB is on a distinguished roadRRB is on a distinguished roadRRB is on a distinguished roadRRB is on a distinguished road

Eric,

I used to have the same problem. I bought an OEM stock muffler/header setup shortly after I bought my bike (it originally had a 2-into-one system with lots of brazing holding it together).

The kicker would scrape the front muffler. I lived with it. When that set of mufflers/headers started to rust out, I bought another aftermarket set. The kicker still scraped the front muffler.

Eventually, I decided I might try to get the kicker cut and welded with a little more of an outward bend. I bought an extra kicker lever from an indy with this purpose in mind. He said it was for a 74c.i.. It was identical to mine, except it actually was bent outward a little bit more than mine was. I put it on my bike with no alteration and it worked perfectly, with no scraping the muffler. I eventually bought yet another set of mufflers/headers, and they have never suffered a scrape.

I have no idea if the kicker lever I bought was actually for a 74. Even if it was, I don't know whether or not this would work on your bike with your exhaust setup. But it might be worth looking into.
Old 18th December 2007
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRB View Post
I have no idea if the kicker lever I bought was actually for a 74. Even if it was, I don't know whether or not this would work on your bike with your exhaust setup. But it might be worth looking into.
Thanks. I'll keep my eyes open for an arm that has a bit more offset to it. None of the catalogs seem to list particular applications though, so I may have to wait till spring and go to some swap meets to see what's available that I can try on the spot.

Eric
Old 18th December 2007
Luvs me an artsy chick...

Sportster/Buell Model: 883>1200 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 97
cantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericfreeman View Post
I fitted a kick start setup to my '78 a few months back and really like the addition to my electric start. However, a few weeks ago I replaced my slash cut pipes with some new Cycle Shack classic tapered pipes, just like I had on my '77 XLCH 30 years ago. Love the look and sound of the new pipes. BUT!! Went to try the kicker yesterday and without even thinking about it, discovered the hard way that the kicker hits the forward pipe near the bottom of its stroke!! Put a nice scrape and slight dent in my brand new pipe!! Dammit to hell!! No way to adjust the front pipe to get the proper clearance for the kicker lever since it's already tucked in as close to the frame as it will go.

So, new Cycle Shack pipes are off and I'm back to the slash cuts. Guess I'll have to be happy with them (they are nice pipes but I wanted the tapered ones for the look).

Moral to this story: If you are planning to fit a kicker to your bike, make sure you have enough clearance for the kick lever to run through its stroke without hitting anything.

Anyone want some nice new Cycle Shack's?

Eric
BFH....works like a charm...

"entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

Occam's Razor...

in English: "entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity."
My definition: "The simplest answers are the most likely"

~NRHS machined 1200 conversion, shittin and gettin...

XLF Tuning Stickies

Charging system troubleshooting

Know Thy Hog