The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Figure Machine  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
seajay, Hugh Betcha (68), jimhd89 (65), JayFL459 (65), Big Al (58), dakota_dj (57), 10walt (55), kiltbill (55), timsvalk (54), horsewriter (49), Benetampa (37)
Superbrace
Superbrace
Fix My Hog
Motor Stage

Biltwell

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th April 2010
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
treerat has a spectacular aura abouttreerat has a spectacular aura abouttreerat has a spectacular aura abouttreerat has a spectacular aura abouttreerat has a spectacular aura abouttreerat has a spectacular aura abouttreerat has a spectacular aura abouttreerat has a spectacular aura abouttreerat has a spectacular aura about
Angry ATTN. wix 51348 oil filter

about 1,100 miles ago I put amsoil 20/50 and a wix 51348 oil filter on my bike.
i was always a little paranoid about not using a hd filter because I could never see the oil moving well in the oil bag. well for the last 300 or so miles of testing trying to get jetting set up and exhaust and baffles sorted out, I have developed a rattle in the lower end that I at first thought was a primary chain, and ajusted several times over the last 3 days and couldnt get the sound to go away. well the filter was always in the back of my mind, so I got in the car and made a 120 mile trip just to get a dam filter. swaped filters out and started bike up and can NOW see good movement of the oil, started raining so I wont be test rideing to day to see if my noise is still there, but if it was the filter not flowing well enough I would assume the noise is still there because the crank bearings and or rod bearing is proabaly toast!

BE VERY CAUTIOUS IF YOU CHOOSE TO USE THE WIX FILTER!
Old 16th April 2010
XL Forum Gold Supporting Vendor

Sportster/Buell Model: 07 883 X2 plus 5 Buells
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 92
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 96
Other Motorcycle Model: and 2 more!!
NRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant future

I have never understood folks using car filters on their bikes just to save a few bucks.
www.nrhsperformance.com

Taking down the competition one Bonneville record at a time!!
Old 16th April 2010
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Sportster/Buell Model #2: SX 250
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1975
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph America
Other Motorcycle Year: 2002
Tin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud of

Was the Wix filter sold to fit your bike, Or did it just fit so you screwed it on? If it was sold for your bike you may have legal recourse, If it was sold for a cars high pressure system then its your Bad.
Old 16th April 2010
JESTER MAFIA WEST

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: 48 "Totalled" By a Douche
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
rocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond repute

the 51348 is speced for some Harleys
2006 Sportster XL1200C
Mikuni HSR 45
Jetted 27.5 slow,172.5 Main
97 Needle,Clip posistion 3
Hurricane Flow 3" offset AC,Rocketman Mod
Daytona Twin Tec TC88A,Rico Nomad Map
Sumax Thundervolt plug wires,NGK DCPR8EIX spark plugs. Gapped .040 and Indexed
Cycle Electric Stator and Regulator
Alto Carbonite Clutch
Royal Purple 20W50 MC Primary oil
Patriot Defender Pipe
Royal Purple 20W50 MC oil
Wix 57148 oil filter
Max Power, 79.17
Max Torque, 75.98
Old 16th April 2010
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
FoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRHS Sales View Post
I have never understood folks using car filters on their bikes just to save a few bucks.
Me neither. Why do people think that some random filter will be better or more economical in the long term than a HD filter? I mean, its not a complicated or expensive item, why risk screwing your engine?

Same with oil really. I see people sticking all kinds of weird grades of oil in, like single grade in both holes. Why? What do they imagine they know that HD doesn't?

I had an '05 1200R.
Know Thy Hog

Old 16th April 2010
JESTER MAFIA WEST

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: 48 "Totalled" By a Douche
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
rocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond repute

I never see oil flow in the tank

About a year ago i put a Caterpillar filter on my bike and developed a rattle shortly after.

changed filters and the rattle was still there.

started thumping the pipes and found a loose baffle in the front pipe causing the rattle.

Also think about this for a second

The bypass in the filter operates at about 8 psi differential pressure.

As soon as the pressure exceeds 8 psi more on the outside of the media than inside it opens and the filter bypasses allowing all of the oil up the center without filtration and almost zero restriction.

I doubt the filter caused a problem.

Last edited by rocketmangb; 16th April 2010 at 22:57..
Old 17th April 2010
Drag Race Champion

treerat has a spectacular aura abouttreerat has a spectacular aura abouttreerat has a spectacular aura abouttreerat has a spectacular aura abouttreerat has a spectacular aura abouttreerat has a spectacular aura abouttreerat has a spectacular aura abouttreerat has a spectacular aura abouttreerat has a spectacular aura about

I have done a bunch of reading on here since I posted this and I might have another possibile answer:

could it be a front primary sprocket (compensator nut) backing off causeing the noise?

also I had to be getting some flow with the wix because it would raise the oil temp in the tank to 150 to 175 depending on how I drove it, in about 30 to 40 miles.
but it defenatly has better flow in the tank with the hd filter.
I noted when I switched them that the wix has a blue flat rubber, I assume anti flow back valve under the outside inlet holes in the filter and the hd filter does not have this flat rubber piece.
Old 17th April 2010
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
melcheld has disabled reputation

51215 is the correct p/n for Wix's filter for Sportsters. It is a motorcycle specific filter.

51225 if you want it in chrome.
Now if I have suspicion a felony's been committed, I can just walk right in here anytime I feel like it because I've got this badge, I got this gun, and I got the love of Jesus right here in my pretty, green eyes.
Old 17th April 2010
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
melcheld has disabled reputation

I just saw that Wix does also spec the 51348 for all sportsters.

Sure its the filter and not a coincidence? If it really was the filter, Wix should owe you a new motor as all their literature specifies that filter for use on XL's.
Old 17th April 2010
Drag Race Champion

just thought of something, went fishing in the oil tank with a strong magnet, stirred all through the oil and drug it all over the bottom of the tank and did not get even one speck of metal, so that has to be a good sign right? iI would think if it were something as catastropic as a rod or crank bearing that there would be at least some small amount of metal carried to the tank by the oil?
Know Thy Hog