The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Cruiser Customizing  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Motor / Engine > Sportster Motorcycle Engine Conversions
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Engine Conversions Advice, questions, and tips for 1200, 1250, 1340, 1450 etc... for Sportster and Buell motorcycle engine conversions

Members Birthdays
patc, Camera108 (61), pbudrovic (59), gene04 (57), guvnor (50), jrogers329 (44), ksoggs (39), dmurphy68 (37)
Ironworks Magazine
RYCA Motors
DK Customs
Superbrace.com

Fix My Hog

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st April 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
joesquid is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 883-1200 conversion ignition module?

Howdy All,
I recently performed a 883 to 1200 conversion on my 2002 Sportster. Here is what I used:

HD 1200 Cylinders 16463-04
Screaming Eagle Heads 16677-05
Screaming Eagle domed pistons
Screaming Eagle pushrods 18424-06 (specifically designed for the 16677-05)
Screaming Eagle cam set 25648-01

I'm still using the original 883 ignition module and have been having problems with pinging regardless of how I set the timing (using minimum of 91 octane fuel). A good friend told me I needed to upgrade the ignition module because the spark curve wouldn't be adequate for my conversion. He thought an 883 Race ignition module would work but they aren't made anymore as far as I can tell.

Does anyone have any ideas what kind of module I should go with? Would I also need to upgrade from the original ignition coil as well?

Thanks for the help!

Eric "JoeSquid" Johnson
Old 21st April 2010
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1984
NC_REDNECK_1981 is an unknown quantity at this point

i use the ultima programmable ignition, its made by daytona. http://www.ultimaproducts.com/programmableignition.html

i used my se dual fire coil instead of the one that comes with it,and i love it
Old 21st April 2010
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
Other Motorcycle Model: Dyna Wide Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2011
Robotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to behold

I'm in the middle of my conversion and had received mixed feedback on using the stock 883 ignition. I wanted to do the build on the cheep and didn't want to spend 150 on an ignition so I picked up a stock 1200 ignition instead. I don't have it all back together yet but I hope not to have the issue you're having. Definately can't go wrong with the above advice though.
"why pay someone to screw something up when you can do it yourself for free?"
Old 21st April 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
joesquid is an unknown quantity at this point

Redneck,
Thanks for the info. The kit you showed me is a programmable style and my Sporty is carbeurated. I don't think that one will work on my bike. I did look at the single fire set up which states it will work on the carbeurated Sporties. Would I be able to use an SE dual-fire ignition coil with that module?
Old 21st April 2010
Red Beard Cycles

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH-1208
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
ReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesquid View Post
Redneck,
Thanks for the info. The kit you showed me is a programmable style and my Sporty is carbeurated. I don't think that one will work on my bike. I did look at the single fire set up which states it will work on the carbeurated Sporties. Would I be able to use an SE dual-fire ignition coil with that module?
it will work on your bike even if its programmable.

you can also go with the DAYTONA TWIN TEC ignition module #1005.. Very reliable and much better then stock.

You need to change the ignition when you convert. the stock 883 is set to 35 degrees advance, the 1200 is at 28 degrees.

States I've Ridden in

71.3 hp 70.8 tq

1208cc 11.09:1 (Wiseco 10° Dome 10.5:1 .010 over) ,Screamin Eagle Dual Plug Heads (10° 61cc), Original SE A/C, Vance & Hines Straight Shots w/ Custom Baffles. SE 6800 ign, Dual BREMBO brakes/ Pirelli Night Dragon MU85-16 Rear - 100/90-19 Front. Progressive Springs & 412 HD 13½" Chrome Shocks, 5½" pullback riser w/ "reddtigger mount", Stebel Nautilus Compact Air horn, Mustang Vintage Super Wide Touring Seat, Alto Carbonite Clutch
Know Thy Hog

Old 21st April 2010
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1984
NC_REDNECK_1981 is an unknown quantity at this point

i put that kit on my 88 sporty and it has a carb. i have not had any problems with it at all. it has a dip switch that lets you switch between single and dual fire depending on what you prefer. i am going to use the same ignition on my ironhead when i finish putting it together.
Old 16th May 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xls 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
keywan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everybody,
I'm having a very similar question -
883/1200 conversion on a 2001 XL, I bought the so-called "J-curve" ignition original P/N 32432-91A which should fit 88-90 sportsters (and up with the 7- to 8-pin adaptor, which I've also purchased). Buzz Buzzelli wrote this one would be preferred by a lot of engine techs because of its perfect advance for a 1200, but now a read this module is originally designed for a 4-speed engine, not 5. Can I still install it?
Any helpful statements appreciated!

I'll make this a thread of its own as it is becoming a major compatibility issue.

2001 Blue Metallic XL 883, SE A/C, rejetting, SE II pro slip-ons, 1200cc 9.5:1 wiseco conv 2005, 6000+ km since and running, PS 412 heavy duty -1,5in rear susp,
Old 17th May 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
fishhawk is on a distinguished roadfishhawk is on a distinguished road

just completed the 883 to 1250 conversion a few weeks ago. at the advice of the folks i bought it from and since all i did was just change out cylinders and pistons, no head work, i picked up a stock 1200 module for 30 bucks used. no pinging and all is running well.
Old 1st September 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883
miminem is an unknown quantity at this point

I am trying to fit the daytona 1005 in my 1988 converted to 1200.
Unfortunately, when I am trying to tune it with the red LED, the housing for the bolts are on the way (there are on a vertical line, one above the other) and so I cannot get the light to lit or stop when front piston is at TDC.
the 2 bolts should be in an horizontal line in order to tune properly.
Am I doing something wrong?