The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum S&S Cycle  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Intake and Exhaust > Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust Problems, advice and/or how tos for Sporster and Buell motorcycle carburators, Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI), Air Intake, Fuel and Exhaust.

Members Birthdays
DRAWTOOL (64), svoracer (61), curly h (60), mosby (57), barry1967 (47), BiggyJ (47), the_MAD_Baker (46), deadeye (41), SharkMDick (39), bdbecker (31)
Progressive Suspension
Energy One Clutches
S&S Cycle
Lickscycles

Superbrace

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd April 2010
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
JDRAKE4200 will become famous soon enoughJDRAKE4200 will become famous soon enoughJDRAKE4200 will become famous soon enoughJDRAKE4200 will become famous soon enoughJDRAKE4200 will become famous soon enoughJDRAKE4200 will become famous soon enoughJDRAKE4200 will become famous soon enoughJDRAKE4200 will become famous soon enough
Default Front cylinder running lean

All,

I am a little concerned. My front clinder is running lean. My front pipe started to turn blue, so I pulled both plugs to see how my jetting was. The rear is about perfect. The front however, is white with little black spots. I checked for a leak using propane as well as carb cleaner. No increase in RPM's. Is it normal for one cylinder to run leaner? Should I tune the carb so that the rear is rich and the front is perfect? should i close the gap a thousandth or 2 on the front plug? please help as I do not want to hurt my baby. Please help.

little background:
open pipes 1 3/4 stepped to 2 1/4
aftermarket air cleaner (k&N)
run 91 octane or above
45 pilot 170 main (jets)
Air fule mixture screw 3 turns out
Old 22nd April 2010
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California EV
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
jharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it's perfectly normal. The engine is air cooled and the front cylinder gets much more "air flow" than the rear cylinder. Therefore, the rear cylinder will run a little hotter than the front cylinder. I wouldn't get overly concerned about how your plugs look. To read them properly you should do a "plug chop" but, with all the ethanol fuel it's hard to read plugs anyways. If you start getting a lot of popping during deceleration (as long as you don't have open/straight pipes) your probably not running too lean. With your open pipes your going to get some popping on deceleration so I wouldn't get overly worried about it. If it starts to back fire or you get popping while your accelerating then your probably running lean or, more likely, have an exhaust leak. The only way to really check it accurately is to get an air/fuel ratio meter.

Jim in Italy
'93 1200
4"Extended Jaybrake Forward Controls
Wide Wishbone Girder Front End
Super E Carb w/Forcewinder Air Cleaner
WetDreamz Pipes
Holographic Metal Flake Paint Job
Four Piston Jaybrake Calipers front & back
16" Carlini Apes
Old 22nd April 2010
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California EV
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
jharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond repute

Your double posting. That's normally considered a no, no. See my answer to your other post.
Old 22nd April 2010
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883 C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 2007 XL 883
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2007
DIESEL has disabled reputation

I would invest in a dyno run to see if you are actually lean.

I have a similar set up on my 05. I simply replaced the 42 with a 45 slow jet. I haven't had any issues.
Old 22nd April 2010
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL50 0596 Black
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: E-Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
Bob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
The only way to really check it accurately is to get an air/fuel ratio meter.
Or get a baseline pull on a Dyno for about $50.

Sportys tend to keep getting faster the longer you own them.
Know Thy Hog

Old 22nd April 2010
Brass Nut

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200V
Sportster/Buell Year: 2013
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883C … long gone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDB … gone!
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
Folkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond repute

JDRAKE4200, please don't post identical duplicate threads in different sections. Decide what one section it should go in, and leave it at that.

If you're getting no responses, bump it up, or ask a mod to move it.

Thanks.
'The green machine'
Old 22nd April 2010
Super Moderator

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Other Motorcycle Model: Harley Heritage
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
Shu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRAKE4200 View Post
The front however, is white with little black spots.
This is the one part of your post which would concern me more than the rest. It appear it is detonating. Can you hear this under hard accleration? Maybe not with drag pipes. The front cylinder actually runs a little warmer than the rear. The pipes will change regardless so don't use that as a guide. I'd back your timing off a degree or two and see if that helps. Secondly I'd replace the intake seals if they are more than a couple of years old. I have had more than one set that passed the WD40/Propane tests but were leaking anyway. And put in a new set of plugs.

GONE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN
Screamin' Eagle 10:1 pistons
Stage 2 883 heads
Screamin' Eagle .497" cams
Screamin' Eagle Mikuni HSR42
Thunderheader
Forcewinder
Old 23rd April 2010
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
cowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of light

keep an eye on your oil usage. I had the same problem with my 04 1200 where the front cylinder was lean and was also getting a ping. The valve seal was leaking. You will know by the sparkplug will have a black coating baked on it. Just a thought
Old 23rd April 2010
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200
JDRAKE4200 will become famous soon enoughJDRAKE4200 will become famous soon enoughJDRAKE4200 will become famous soon enoughJDRAKE4200 will become famous soon enoughJDRAKE4200 will become famous soon enoughJDRAKE4200 will become famous soon enoughJDRAKE4200 will become famous soon enoughJDRAKE4200 will become famous soon enough
Default Thank you

Thank youf or all of the responses. I appreciate all of your help. Sorry bout the double post, I will kepp thin in mind for the future. Thanks again everyone.
Old 5th July 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1200r
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
ashmead is an unknown quantity at this point

Ever figure out why the front was lean? I have the same issue with my EFI Roadster. Rear plug looks great, nice and tan. Front is too white for my taste. Front runs 30-40 degrees hotter than the rear, and it should be the other way round.
I'm going to check the connection of the pipe to the cylinder. could be a leak. I had to loosen the pipes to install SE slip-on mufflers. Maybe it worked loose.
Know Thy Hog