The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum DK Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
jojo, 5lv (66), BobbyB (60), BigBrotherWatching (52), black1200r (45), Jnomad72 (42), michigan113 (39), xl1200c (33)
Energy One Clutches
Biltwell
S&S Cycle
S&S Cycle

Get Lowered

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th April 2010
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

XLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the rough
Default Pushrod tubes and new cylinders

I just spent an hour trying to install the clips on my pushrod tubes. Two popped on rather quickly but the other two wouldn't go. I tried all different kinds of screwdrivers, spun the tubes to different positions, strained until one of my nads fell out and rolled under the cabinet (I'll get it later). Finally, I figured out that rough spots on the castings of my new cylinders were in just the right place to catch the sliding collars just before I got them low enough to put the clips on. I bent up a thin piece of sheet metal to slide behind the collars and the clips popped right in. Watch out with new cylinders. I've already had problems getting the base nuts on (see my other thread on these adventures).
Old 24th April 2010

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1962
GA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of light

Use the clips and the screwdriver to lever the collars down. Place the screwdriver blade on the collar, angled down slightly. Put the clip into the top of the PR cover where it seats into the rocker cover, with the screwdriver blade under the clip. Lever the clip into place.

Somebody posted great pictures of the process, but I can't find them.
Old 24th April 2010
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85mm View Post
... I figured out that rough spots on the castings of my new cylinders were in just the right place to catch the sliding collars just before I got them low enough to put the clips on. I bent up a thin piece of sheet metal to slide behind the collars and the clips popped right in ...
I had this on the rear cylinder of my 1980, and have it now on the front cyl of my 1978; 1 tube on each. I use the lid from a plastic yogurt container having trimmed off the lip around the edge. It is good for a few uses then it is worn out. The tin would be better - if you have it. I have yogurt containers.
Old 24th April 2010
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Year: 1972
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Harley-Davidson
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2009
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHTCU (Geezer Glide)
72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMick View Post
I had this on the rear cylinder of my 1980, and have it now on the front cyl of my 1978; 1 tube on each. I use the lid from a plastic yogurt container having trimmed off the lip around the edge. It is good for a few uses then it is worn out. The tin would be better - if you have it. I have yogurt containers.
Let me guess, you're very cultured.....

I have yet to figure out the perfect way to make the task easier, but I'll keep practicing.

RIP: Eli
Old 24th April 2010
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLB, XLCH, Sporton
Sportster/Buell Year: 1962
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1966
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH (Another one)
Other Motorcycle Year: 1966
Ferrous Head is a glorious beacon of lightFerrous Head is a glorious beacon of lightFerrous Head is a glorious beacon of lightFerrous Head is a glorious beacon of lightFerrous Head is a glorious beacon of lightFerrous Head is a glorious beacon of lightFerrous Head is a glorious beacon of lightFerrous Head is a glorious beacon of lightFerrous Head is a glorious beacon of lightFerrous Head is a glorious beacon of lightFerrous Head is a glorious beacon of light

I think there's a purpose built tool to help do this but I've been just using brute force for so long I can't be bothered buying them. As long as you have 3 hands it's not that hard.
(It's a shame all of mine are keft hands but there you go)

Old 25th April 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Mud is an unknown quantity at this point

Through years of struggling with harley's stupid push rod tube set-up, I discovered a tool for installing clips. A simple paint can lid opener that i got from Lowe's when i got some paint. The flat hook fits great in the clip, and the "T" handle lets you grip and push. It makes this miserable process a little easier.
Mud E. Mudhole
Old 26th April 2010
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Custom Sputhe XR
Sportster/Buell Year: 19**
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1965
chevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to all

I think what 85mm is saying is the cup was hanging up on a fin or rough nub of the cylinder castings. Are they Import cylinders? When the cups are loaded down from the outer area of the cups with a screwdriver I believe they angle inward which limits clearance even more.
Old 26th April 2010
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
... When the cups are loaded down from the outer area of the cups with a screwdriver I believe they angle inward which limits clearance even more.
This is exactly what happens with the spring retainers/cups. And they carch on a cylinder fin. Sliding a thin piece of tin or flexible plastic in behind the pushrod tube is the solution to this problem.
Old 26th April 2010

XLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the rough

This is my first IH and it's got lot's of surprizes for the beginner. I'm sure the cylinders are asian made. I'm gratefull that I can still get the parts, but many of my new pieces don't fit exactly right. Oh they're close, but you know someones pumping these things out without feedback from the customers. So you've got to always watch out for the little aggravating things that constantly come up with new parts. Hope this thread saves others some frustration.
Old 26th April 2010
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH1100
Sportster/Buell Year: 1986
Jafa39 will become famous soon enoughJafa39 will become famous soon enoughJafa39 will become famous soon enoughJafa39 will become famous soon enoughJafa39 will become famous soon enoughJafa39 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85mm View Post
This is my first IH and it's got lot's of surprizes for the beginner. I'm sure the cylinders are asian made. I'm gratefull that I can still get the parts, but many of my new pieces don't fit exactly right. Oh they're close, but you know someones pumping these things out without feedback from the customers. So you've got to always watch out for the little aggravating things that constantly come up with new parts. Hope this thread saves others some frustration.
Don't assume that because the fit is a little off that they are Asian....some US-made IH parts are like that...