The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum DK Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE & BUELL MOTORCYCLE FORUM - GENERAL DISCUSSION > Gear - Helmets, Clothing and what not
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Gear - Helmets, Clothing and what not This area is for discussing riding gear such as helmet, boots, clothing, etc

Members Birthdays
nate74, daPainta (63), BobboJama (61), whoopeekat (60), steelbreeze (58), Rio (53), paragon (50), miztacrabbypants (45), Truck (40)
Figure Machine
Superbrace
RYCA Motors
Fix My Hog

Fix My Hog

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th September 2007
Know It All

Other Motorcycle Model: FXSTC Softail Custom
Other Motorcycle Year: 2009
747 FlightEngineer is on a distinguished road747 FlightEngineer is on a distinguished road
Default Proper placement of patches on leather vest

I have a vest that has several patches on it and I am curious as to the proper placement of those patches.

On the front left breast is my Harley #1 patch, above that is a patch from Anchorage's House of Harley. On the right upper is my patch from Hong Kong.

On the back is my HOG patch at the top. In the center is the Eagle and Flag 8x8 patch and at the bottom is the memorial patch to my grandson who lost his life in an auto accident in Dec. Is ther a code for vest?
Old 4th September 2007
Senior Chief Know It All 3rd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell xb12r
Sportster/Buell Year #2: '09
CT1200 is a jewel in the roughCT1200 is a jewel in the roughCT1200 is a jewel in the roughCT1200 is a jewel in the roughCT1200 is a jewel in the roughCT1200 is a jewel in the roughCT1200 is a jewel in the roughCT1200 is a jewel in the roughCT1200 is a jewel in the roughCT1200 is a jewel in the roughCT1200 is a jewel in the rough

Ya... its YOUR vest and don't let anyone tell YOU where to put YOUR patches on YOUR vest.

Heres mine.

Welcome to the XLF from CT.

Keep an eye on the road... Theres always something to see.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 4th September 2007
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200L/cobalt pearl
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: Yamaha XS650 project bike
Other Motorcycle Year: 1980
emzdogz is a name known to allemzdogz is a name known to allemzdogz is a name known to allemzdogz is a name known to allemzdogz is a name known to allemzdogz is a name known to allemzdogz is a name known to allemzdogz is a name known to allemzdogz is a name known to allemzdogz is a name known to allemzdogz is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747 FlightEngineer View Post
I have a vest that has several patches on it and I am curious as to the proper placement of those patches.

On the front left breast is my Harley #1 patch, above that is a patch from Anchorage's House of Harley. On the right upper is my patch from Hong Kong.

On the back is my HOG patch at the top. In the center is the Eagle and Flag 8x8 patch and at the bottom is the memorial patch to my grandson who lost his life in an auto accident in Dec. Is ther a code for vest?
not unless you belong to an MC, and then you'd know where you need to put them, vis a vis their protocol.
If you have no club affiliation other than HOG, you can put the stuff anywhere.
Although I would be careful about putting any "location" patches on the back of any vest that has even a HOG patch.
Some MC's take that to "mean" something, even when you don't intend it to.

"A crazy lass who is mighty crazy. She enjoys to get down with the best of them, and likes to have drink-offs with bikies. All in all, a wild person. Often reffered to as Emmer".
- urbandictionary.com
Old 4th September 2007
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: xl 883->1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
sdjr will become famous soon enoughsdjr will become famous soon enoughsdjr will become famous soon enoughsdjr will become famous soon enoughsdjr will become famous soon enoughsdjr will become famous soon enoughsdjr will become famous soon enough

If the order feels right to you, then it's right...any 'CODE' of patch placement will just be "poser rules". Your design sounds fine by me, but I wear a uniform every day, so I am inclined to show individuality thru my scoot/gear. My buddies... who BTW are great at their jobs, and have my professional respect, cringe at the thought of buying the factory workshop manual and wouldn't dream of changing their own oil, and would probably take their bike to the stealer just to tighten a nut...think they all have to have cookie-cutter bikes/chinese made harley jackets that match, and try to desperately get me off a sporty and into a twin cam. Good lord, they won't even let me teach them how to bolt-on there own chrome bling/crap.

Your design is your own. Good luck.

JR
buell thunderstorm heads/pistons,
progressive springs/shocks, S&S AC
cycleshack slip- ons, SE Ignition/Cams
Diamond Back cables, internal wires
Mustang Vintage Wide Seat
Metzler 880's 110 upfront, 150 in the rear
Old 4th September 2007
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHTC - Finally!
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
langner91 is a jewel in the roughlangner91 is a jewel in the roughlangner91 is a jewel in the roughlangner91 is a jewel in the roughlangner91 is a jewel in the roughlangner91 is a jewel in the roughlangner91 is a jewel in the roughlangner91 is a jewel in the roughlangner91 is a jewel in the roughlangner91 is a jewel in the roughlangner91 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by emzdogz View Post
not unless you belong to an MC, and then you'd know where you need to put them, vis a vis their protocol.
If you have no club affiliation other than HOG, you can put the stuff anywhere.
Although I would be careful about putting any "location" patches on the back of any vest that has even a HOG patch.
Correct! I guess the use of a lower rocker (with location or "title") can get a person in serious trouble if the right 1%er sees it. We get reminded every year in our HOG newsletter not to put anything directly below the HOG patch.
Know Thy Hog

Old 4th September 2007
Senior Chief Know It All 3rd Class

Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell xb12r
Sportster/Buell Year #2: '09
CT1200 is a jewel in the roughCT1200 is a jewel in the roughCT1200 is a jewel in the roughCT1200 is a jewel in the roughCT1200 is a jewel in the roughCT1200 is a jewel in the roughCT1200 is a jewel in the roughCT1200 is a jewel in the roughCT1200 is a jewel in the roughCT1200 is a jewel in the roughCT1200 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by langner91 View Post
Correct! I guess the use of a lower rocker (with location or "title") can get a person in serious trouble if the right 1%er sees it. We get reminded every year in our HOG newsletter not to put anything directly below the HOG patch.
Really who reminds you, your local chapter? Or is in the Hog Tails?
Old 4th September 2007
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLX-61
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CL350
Other Motorcycle Year: 1969
83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of

Patches?????........

We don't need no stinkin' patches.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it (especially if you don't know what you're doing). Most Sportster problems are owner-induced.
Old 4th September 2007
The XL Forum Host

Sportster/Buell Model: 883>1250 Stage 2
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
bplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by emzdogz View Post
That must only be something in the USA. All European HOG Chapters put their country under the main HOG Patch.

But the answer to the original question is...put the patches anywhere on your vest that you want them.

XLF on FACEBOOK - http://www.facebook.com/XLFORUM

AMA #961454
MY GALLERY

02 883 > NRHS 1250 Stage 2 - Nasty Nancy
Old 4th September 2007
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
gomorley has a brilliant futuregomorley has a brilliant futuregomorley has a brilliant futuregomorley has a brilliant futuregomorley has a brilliant futuregomorley has a brilliant futuregomorley has a brilliant futuregomorley has a brilliant futuregomorley has a brilliant futuregomorley has a brilliant futuregomorley has a brilliant future

Does the XLF patch need sewing on or can it be ironed on?
Old 4th September 2007
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Yamaha Raider
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2010
Other Motorcycle Model: Yamaha FZ1
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
Terp84Alum is a splendid one to beholdTerp84Alum is a splendid one to beholdTerp84Alum is a splendid one to beholdTerp84Alum is a splendid one to beholdTerp84Alum is a splendid one to beholdTerp84Alum is a splendid one to beholdTerp84Alum is a splendid one to beholdTerp84Alum is a splendid one to beholdTerp84Alum is a splendid one to beholdTerp84Alum is a splendid one to beholdTerp84Alum is a splendid one to behold

This scares me a little. I'm looking to get my XL Forum patch, my HOG patch, and the annual HOG patches sewed on my vest before I go to the DelMarVa thing. Please tell me the DON'Ts. Thanks

**RIP MR. JIMI & JOHNNY G**
Know Thy Hog