The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Cruiser Customizing  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
seajay, Hugh Betcha (68), jimhd89 (65), JayFL459 (65), Big Al (58), dakota_dj (57), 10walt (55), kiltbill (55), timsvalk (54), horsewriter (49), Benetampa (37)
Fix My Hog
Get Lowered
NHRS Performance
Progressive Suspension

Motor Stage

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th May 2010
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH Ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Ironhead Basket (on lift)
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1972
Other Motorcycle Model: FLH 80 Shovelhead
Other Motorcycle Year: 1981
steve-o- will become famous soon enoughsteve-o- will become famous soon enoughsteve-o- will become famous soon enoughsteve-o- will become famous soon enoughsteve-o- will become famous soon enoughsteve-o- will become famous soon enough
Default Starter Grind

Haven't posted in a loooong while. Picked-up a '74 last fall (mostly complete, nearly running). Forum has been invaluable this winter. Bike is still not complete but now fires and runs. If I hit the start button in short "pulses" or "bursts" , I can get it going. If I hold the start button, the engine will turn, stop and then grind. I've got the pimary open and the complete starter drive assembly removed (new starter and solenoid installed). I cannot see anything physically wrong. Any suggestions? I'm getting to the point where I need to get this bitch out for a ride to rekindle our relationship.
Old 12th May 2010
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XLH
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Sportster XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: Trac Dynamics / Razor,
tracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the rough

Make sure battery is fully charged and sometimes the "Timing" being off will give you that result. Possibly to far advanced.
Check weights make sure they move and static time it.
Old 12th May 2010
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 79 Ironhead
spdtrux is a jewel in the roughspdtrux is a jewel in the roughspdtrux is a jewel in the roughspdtrux is a jewel in the roughspdtrux is a jewel in the roughspdtrux is a jewel in the roughspdtrux is a jewel in the roughspdtrux is a jewel in the roughspdtrux is a jewel in the roughspdtrux is a jewel in the roughspdtrux is a jewel in the rough

make sure the solenoid is spaced right. i put a new solenoid on my bike with the stock spacer and had a similar issue. threw a washer on bothe screws and a homemade cork gasket and wala no grinding or other noises and no leaking.

if everything else is bolted up right. this might be worth a shot
Old 12th May 2010
Harley Engineer

steve-o- will become famous soon enoughsteve-o- will become famous soon enoughsteve-o- will become famous soon enoughsteve-o- will become famous soon enoughsteve-o- will become famous soon enoughsteve-o- will become famous soon enough

Threw the charger on and will check voltage when fully charged (probably drained it quite a bit trying to start yesterday). Will check timing tonight. Upon initial inspection it appears to be pretty advanced. The solenoid and spacer both had a number stamped into them, 3A I think, so I assume the the throw is correct. THNX
Old 12th May 2010
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1972
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Harley-Davidson
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2009
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHTCU (Geezer Glide)
72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice

I would suggest two things. A new bendix, and a new detent spring on the solenoid plunger.

RIP: Eli
Know Thy Hog

Old 12th May 2010
Biker

75 Iron is on a distinguished road75 Iron is on a distinguished road75 Iron is on a distinguished road75 Iron is on a distinguished road75 Iron is on a distinguished road

Its the bendex gear. just went through it with my 75....
Old 13th May 2010
Harley Engineer

I thought bendix too. Would it look chewed-up? I tore the shaft down and had a look, cleaned it all up and re-assembled. Nothing looked messed-up when I had it appart. Maybe another is in order. THNX
Old 13th May 2010
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XR1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph Thruxton
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
BLIGHT is on a distinguished roadBLIGHT is on a distinguished roadBLIGHT is on a distinguished roadBLIGHT is on a distinguished roadBLIGHT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-o- View Post
I thought bendix too. Would it look chewed-up? I tore the shaft down and had a look, cleaned it all up and re-assembled. Nothing looked messed-up when I had it appart. Maybe another is in order. THNX
I replaced the Bendix on mine, but I made the bone-headed move of hitting the starter with the primary cover off to check the action.

The solenoid engaged, and ended up bending the jackshaft as the pinion gear tried to crawl around the ring gear. The jackshaft needs the outside-end support provided by the bushing in the primary cover. Dumb mistake that I'll never repeat!

Anyway, the Bendix was slipping and making a grinding noise and not turning the engine over.

New Bendix (and jackshaft) and she starts nicely now!

Cheers,
BLIGHT
Old 13th May 2010
Harley Engineer

I don't know when I'll get a chance to tear into it again (family commitments) but I will take a good look at everything and throw a new bendix at it. Hopefully that'll be the fix. Blight...bad story...but good heads-up to anyone messing with the starter. THNX again to everybody for offering up advice.
Old 14th May 2010
Biker

75 Iron is on a distinguished road75 Iron is on a distinguished road75 Iron is on a distinguished road75 Iron is on a distinguished road75 Iron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-o- View Post
The gear would not look chewed up. Its not the teeth on the gear its self but what make them turn like a centrifical clutch. I replaced every thing else and still had a problem, the bendix gear was the last thing and it was the problem.Good luck. Let me know what happens.
Know Thy Hog