The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Motor Stage  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Seating and Luggage
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Seating and Luggage Here is where you post discussions about seating and luggage

Members Birthdays
Biltwell
Sky Smith Insurance
DK Customs
Burly

Foxcreek Leather

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th May 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 97
jacsul has disabled reputation
Default touring seat

Hey folks,
I'm up for a touring seat and this one looks best.
http://www.mustangseats.com/Product.aspx?ID=105
Any comments?
probably get it at Dennis kirk or J&P cycles
Old 17th May 2010
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 883L
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CL350
Other Motorcycle Year: 1972
Cadillac is a jewel in the roughCadillac is a jewel in the roughCadillac is a jewel in the roughCadillac is a jewel in the roughCadillac is a jewel in the roughCadillac is a jewel in the roughCadillac is a jewel in the roughCadillac is a jewel in the roughCadillac is a jewel in the roughCadillac is a jewel in the roughCadillac is a jewel in the rough

If you do a search for it you will see the 2 most used are that one and the sundowner. so Yeah, thats a good one.
Old 17th May 2010
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Tuch24 is an unknown quantity at this point

Try ebay I got that seat for 225 bucks and it wasnt even broken in yet. Make sure you ride it enough to break it in before you decide if you like it. I didnt like it at first but now its real comfortable.
Old 17th May 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 97
jacsul has disabled reputation

I've tried searching this site and I keep an error page, what's the deal with that?
Old 17th May 2010
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
johnwestphal has disabled reputation

The Sundowner is an ugly ass huge seat. That being said, my wife loves it and when combined with a detach backrest with a big ol' ass touring pad, the lil' woman is happy. That and the tour bag on the rack for all her, uh "gear", lol on/off in seconds brother with a thumbscrew. The thing is vinyl and I might get some seat pads as it's hot as hell in the summers here and I got a bit of monkey butt rash last year on a hot all day ride.
Know Thy Hog

Old 17th May 2010
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
PaulDM has disabled reputation

Two comments. Buy used if you can find what you want to avoid the breakin. If there is any remote chance that you may want to go to a larger tank buy the seat for the larger tank, so what if there's a bit of space between the seat the small tank andyou won't have to go to another seat if you switch seats.
2007 XL 883 - 1/4 Harley Fairing - ISO grips and pegs - Mustang Vintage wide - Adjure Reflector & PIAA bulb - 50 State Mufflers - ABS front fender - Tail pack for stuff - HyperPro progressive fork springs - Whittlebeast rear shocks = Rocky Mountain Sport Tourer :-)
Old 17th May 2010
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
drvsafe is just really nicedrvsafe is just really nicedrvsafe is just really nicedrvsafe is just really nicedrvsafe is just really nicedrvsafe is just really nicedrvsafe is just really nicedrvsafe is just really nicedrvsafe is just really nicedrvsafe is just really nicedrvsafe is just really nice

My $.02, get the 2 piece, so if you ever want to ride solo, you can just remove the pillion. From the looks of it, it appears to be the same shape as the Solo with the additional pillion. I bought the solo, then hated having to swap it out when the boss wanted to join, so I added the pillion to mine and she loves it!

Can anyone comment on whether there is a functional difference between the two setups, other than what I mentioned above?
'07 Vivid Black 883C - Mustang Vintage Solo and pillion, some Willie G and some other chrome shtuff, X2 grips, Lick's Black Solo Bag, K&N kit, Cobra Speedster Slashdown pipes and remap. . .More to come...SHWEEET!!!
Old 17th May 2010
I am the great Cornholio!

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki GT550
Other Motorcycle Year: 1974
ParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond repute

For me it took about 1000 miles to get my seat broken in. Even if used, the seat needs to break into you and you need to break into the seat.

The mustang is a firm seat which takes some getting used to. Once broken in, I have done 750+ mile rides back to back without issue.

Sturgis 2009
Around the Lakes 2010
Texas 2011
New England 2011
Wreaths Across America 2011
Labor Day 2012
My first rally - Void 7
Pensacola 2012
Forum trip to Boyer WV July 2013
Coast to Coast to Coast in 100 hours
Butt Lite 7 - 5700 miles in 6 days

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne - "The Shootist"
Old 17th May 2010
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California EV
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
jharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacsul View Post
I've tried searching this site and I keep an error page, what's the deal with that?
Never use the search at the top of the page. It sux. Use the search function at the bottom of the page.

Jim in Italy
'93 1200
4"Extended Jaybrake Forward Controls
Wide Wishbone Girder Front End
Super E Carb w/Forcewinder Air Cleaner
WetDreamz Pipes
Holographic Metal Flake Paint Job
Four Piston Jaybrake Calipers front & back
16" Carlini Apes
Old 17th May 2010
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California EV
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
jharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrotHead View Post
For me it took about 1000 miles to get my seat broken in. Even if used, the seat needs to break into you and you need to break into the seat.

The mustang is a firm seat which takes some getting used to. Once broken in, I have done 750+ mile rides back to back without issue.
+1
Once broken in they can't be beat!
Know Thy Hog