The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum S&S Cycle  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Licks Cycles
Burly
Lowbrow Customs
Lowbrow Customs

DK Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th May 2010
Senior Chief Know It All 3rd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH bobber
Sportster/Buell Year: 1964
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1969
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki ZX6E
Other Motorcycle Year: 1994
bobber58 is just really nicebobber58 is just really nicebobber58 is just really nicebobber58 is just really nicebobber58 is just really nicebobber58 is just really nicebobber58 is just really nicebobber58 is just really nicebobber58 is just really nicebobber58 is just really nicebobber58 is just really nice
Default cylinder head ID

i have a set of cylinder heads that I was told were from a 1971 900cc. Well, they won't bolt to my jugs. Thankfully I haven't had any work done to them yet. The part number on them are 6684-71 and under that it has -B- .The other is 6682-71 with -B- under it. The fire ring measures 3.328 id, where my 64 heads measure 3.215 id. And when I line up the top two head bolt holes in the gasket the bottom two look like this:

Are these heads the 72-E73 heads?
Old 30th October 2010
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1972
frankmatr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default cylinder head ID

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobber58 View Post
i have a set of cylinder heads that I was told were from a 1971 900cc. Well, they won't bolt to my jugs. Thankfully I haven't had any work done to them yet. The part number on them are 6684-71 and under that it has -B- .The other is 6682-71 with -B- under it. The fire ring measures 3.328 id, where my 64 heads measure 3.215 id. And when I line up the top two head bolt holes in the gasket the bottom two look like this:

Are these heads the 72-E73 heads?
Bobber58:
Did you ever find out what those heads were for. I have the exact same ones and I'm trying to figure out if they will work on my 72 xlch. My #'s are the same as yours along with the -B- lettering. I see no one responded to you post but there are a lot of other posts that I have read about heads. I"m Thinking that they are for a 72- 1000. My fire ring inside diameter is 3.332.
Old 30th October 2010
Custom Bike Builder

Other Motorcycle Model: Heritage Softail
Other Motorcycle Year: 1999
BuckIRyder has disabled reputation

I'd say it's a strong possibility you have '72-early '73 heads. If you can locate a head gasket for a '72 it will tell you for sure. Harley used to sell a one size fits all top end gasket kit that included 900, 1000 '72-E'73, and 1000 L73-85 head gaskets.
Old 3rd November 2010
Greasemonkey

frankmatr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mystery solved?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckIRyder View Post
I'd say it's a strong possibility you have '72-early '73 heads. If you can locate a head gasket for a '72 it will tell you for sure. Harley used to sell a one size fits all top end gasket kit that included 900, 1000 '72-E'73, and 1000 L73-85 head gaskets.

Mick sugested the same thing a couple of days ago, so today I dug out a complete gasket kit I had laying around. The HD Genuine Parts and Accessories copper head gasket kit, package # 16769-73, matched the bolt pattern the oil draines, and the gasket flat perfect. I then turned the heads over and matched up another HD Geniune Parts and Accessories package gasket kit, # 17030-72, for the rocker arm cover gaskets. They also matched perfect. Both of these gasket kits fit the 6684-71-B and 6682-71-B heads pictured in my first post that started this thread. So I guess the mystery is solved and I have a spare set of heads for a 1972 xlch 1000. Now the next question I have is what do you guys recommend I use for the overhaul of these heads??? I guess I should start a new thread on that. Or one of you responding can???