The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum S&S Cycle  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Lickscycles
Don's Cyclewear
Biltwell
Biltwell

Energy One Clutches

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd May 2010
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1981 IronHead
Other Motorcycle Model: 1975 Aermacchi/H-D SX 175
Stick_Man is on a distinguished roadStick_Man is on a distinguished roadStick_Man is on a distinguished road
Default where to get parts

anyone know where to get parts cheap? i just spend 175 and there must be a better way and need to do a ton of work myself. I think ebay sucks btw. too much money for stuff i can get on jp catalog or otherwise getting junk stuff
Old 23rd May 2010
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1961
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Sportster XL
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1957
Other Motorcycle Model: XL 61 62 64 65 68 70 78
Moon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to all

I think there is a thread in the stickies on this. With old bikes, though, the parts are where you find them. There is no one-stop shopping.

A lot of guys here have recommended a place called Jireh Cycle, especially in regard to good prices. I have never used them, so I can't say, but here is a link:

http://www.jirehcycles.com/new-products.htm

When everything is as it was in my childhood

Violent, vivid, and of infinite possiblilty:

That the sun and moon broke over my head.--Richard Eberhart
Old 23rd May 2010
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
SilverShark96 is on a distinguished roadSilverShark96 is on a distinguished roadSilverShark96 is on a distinguished road

Give eBay a chance, man. I'm not saying the "stores" on eBay necessarily, but you can find some awesome deals there. Especially if you aren't a stickler for "new".
Old 23rd May 2010
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1980
Schutzhund is on a distinguished roadSchutzhund is on a distinguished roadSchutzhund is on a distinguished road

Sportster Specialty, Jireh Cycles, J&P, E-Bay and many others. Most are listed on this forum. Some times it just take s some patience. Personaly I've been more successful at swapmeets than anywhere else. Of course when you need something like yesterday you can't wait for a swapmeet.
Old 24th May 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: ironhead sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1979
78ironhed is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.sportyspecialties.com/
Know Thy Hog

Old 24th May 2010

ryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of light

You are assuming you will get good parts at J&P or Jireh.....
Old 24th May 2010
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1000cc Ironhead Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: 96 KDX200 Dirt Bike
russzx6 is a glorious beacon of lightrusszx6 is a glorious beacon of lightrusszx6 is a glorious beacon of lightrusszx6 is a glorious beacon of lightrusszx6 is a glorious beacon of lightrusszx6 is a glorious beacon of lightrusszx6 is a glorious beacon of lightrusszx6 is a glorious beacon of lightrusszx6 is a glorious beacon of lightrusszx6 is a glorious beacon of lightrusszx6 is a glorious beacon of light

you get what you pay for . . .cheap doesn't necessarily mean quality!! . .Ask the question to some ebay sellers if they look to be selling a lot of gear for a bike around yours era. ." you wouldn't happen to have a ...." sometimes you can strike a good deal out of ebay with them
Old 24th May 2010
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1990
slumchop has a spectacular aura aboutslumchop has a spectacular aura aboutslumchop has a spectacular aura aboutslumchop has a spectacular aura aboutslumchop has a spectacular aura aboutslumchop has a spectacular aura aboutslumchop has a spectacular aura aboutslumchop has a spectacular aura aboutslumchop has a spectacular aura aboutslumchop has a spectacular aura aboutslumchop has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverShark96 View Post
Give eBay a chance, man. I'm not saying the "stores" on eBay necessarily, but you can find some awesome deals there. Especially if you aren't a stickler for "new".
I agree all my buddies come to me to find them parts on ebay, they give me a few bucks to find the deals for them, almost 400 Ebay purchases 90 + % are bike parts and only ever had one sale go wrong and it was for a computer cooler the clue is to llok at their feedback, I look to see how quick people get their parts, and if they get whats described. I also read the auction very carefully and ask any questions i can possibly think of
Old 24th May 2010

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 75 motor in Norton frame.
Other Motorcycle Model: 42WLA 45, Harton, Narley
Other Motorcycle Year: 1942
Hopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryder rick View Post
You are assuming you will get good parts at J&P or Jireh.....
As long as you stick with the USA brand names they sell, stuff is ok. Eg, Manley, S&S, Accel, Rowe, Andrews etc.
Their no-name cheaper Asian made stuff is a real gamble. Sometimes ok, often not.
Old 24th May 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 09 1200c
jroymcd is on a distinguished roadjroymcd is on a distinguished roadjroymcd is on a distinguished roadjroymcd is on a distinguished roadjroymcd is on a distinguished road

been getting all the good deals on the HDforums classifieds. Shhh dont tell anyone.
Know Thy Hog